Finding UK job from Australia

PaulTM

Hi there,

My family and I will be aiming to move back to the UK around April this year, after 12 years in Sydney. Can anyone offer their experience on finding a job in London or the South of England, from Australia? What is the likelihood of securing a job before departing? 

I work in SaaS as a Service Delivery Manager but have had a variety of roles in customer service and contact centre management.

Also, has anyone moved back during Covid and could offer experience on the job market activity within IT / customer service & finance? 

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

I am a finance director in London office of an ASX listed multinational.  Generally our business is doing well in Covid, however we are very limited on recruitment with executive (CEO / CFF COO) level approval required for any external recruitment.  I think this is the case in many places, so we are seeing critical roles filled, but project investment roles much harder to fill.  We have a big IT team so there are roles. 

People generally are not that keen to fill roles remotely but I think after 9 months are coming round the idea, so this probably improves your chances of getting a role before you move - you might even be able to start remotely if you need to.

On a general note I have to be honest and say I wouldn't be moving from Sydney to the UK right now.  Yes things will be better come the summer, but you will be moving to a country coming out of lockdown (again) with a lot of ongoing restrictions.  It isn't much fun at the moment, and you may not be able to meet up with family and friends as you would normally.  Also you have an economy which is 10% down prior years, with a massive hole in public finances.  If I were in your shoes I would be waiting another year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

On a general note I have to be honest and say I wouldn't be moving from Sydney to the UK right now.  Yes things will be better come the summer, but you will be moving to a country coming out of lockdown (again) with a lot of ongoing restrictions.  It isn't much fun at the moment, and you may not be able to meet up with family and friends as you would normally.  Also you have an economy which is 10% down prior years, with a massive hole in public finances.  If I were in your shoes I would be waiting another year.

Totally agree with delaying the move, although it might be a good time to move some money over as the AUD is currently the strongest it's been against GBP for two years.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Staying put makes the most sense, we’ll see how recruitment goes remotely. 

If it weren’t for having our first baby (now 8 months old and still yet to meet any UK family), we’d stay and wait it out. Roll on when this is all over. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Totally agree with delaying the move, although it might be a good time to move some money over as the AUD is currently the strongest it's been against GBP for two years.

Thanks, the currency looks a good time to change some money. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PaulTM said:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Staying put makes the most sense, we’ll see how recruitment goes remotely. 

If it weren’t for having our first baby (now 8 months old and still yet to meet any UK family), we’d stay and wait it out. Roll on when this is all over. 

If you moved now your baby still wouldn’t too be able to meet the family.  There’s talk of the lockdown going on for months and with each day the Covid deaths rise and the amount of new cases rise too. It’s looking more and more likely this lockdown won’t be ending anytime soon so you’d be wise to hang on there a while longer. Certainly don’t rush back for the family get togethers because they won’t be allowed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

If you moved now your baby still wouldn’t too be able to meet the family.  There’s talk of the lockdown going on for months and with each day the Covid deaths rise and the amount of new cases rise too. It’s looking more and more likely this lockdown won’t be ending anytime soon so you’d be wise to hang on there a while longer. Certainly don’t rush back for the family get togethers because they won’t be allowed.

@Tulip1 you beat me to it. Even my most positive friends in the UK are thoroughly fed up at the moment - the situation over there is just dire in every respect.