Banker occupation on SOL

Gaganm

Hi All,

Posting for first time

My question is around which is the appropriate occupation under the Skilled Occupation List for a banking professional with experience over 15 years for a PR Visa under skilled independent Visa 189.  The Challenge is with roles across different functions in the bank, am unable to narrow down on the occupation/skill as per the list. Any Advice ?

1 hour ago, Gaganm said:

Hi All,

Posting for first time

My question is around which is the appropriate occupation under the Skilled Occupation List for a banking professional with experience over 15 years for a PR Visa under skilled independent Visa 189.  The Challenge is with roles across different functions in the bank, am unable to narrow down on the occupation/skill as per the list. Any Advice ?

I don’t think you’ll find it on the list unless you are a senior manager or in a niche role.  What do you do in the bank?  

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Gaganm said:

thanks for the response, the challenge in banking is exactly as you mentioned. So even if it is say a senior manager then what is the suggestion on the occupation list?.

My current role is in Transaction Banking, Client Services

Thanks 

I think the best thing you can do is approach a migrant agent (there are several highly regarded ones on here) to ask them to look at your actual title/expertise and tell you if you have a chance or not.  If you are more customer service role than senior management I’d say it’s very likely but you need to know one way or another. Good luck.

I would work from 2 angles.  

1.Try to find your perfect ANZSCO Code (irrespective of 189/190).

2. See if it’s on any skilled lists.  Read through the skilled occupation lists to see if a very similar ANZSCO Code is on there that you may qualify for.

Maybe start here?  https://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/searchclass.nsf/(Searchattmnt)?openagent

I searched for “Financial”,  maybe Bookkeeper is closest?  Have a read of the job descriptions.

Edited by mt9754

On 08/09/2020 at 01:36, Gaganm said:

There are some professions which Australia simply doesn't want, because it has an adequate supply of local talent.  That is why the Skilled Occupation List is so short - there are many occupations which are not on it.   I think banking is one of them.  You need to look at the work you actually do - what would your job title be, if you were not in banking?   If you can find that job title on the list, then you should apply under that.

It is possible that your job is unique to banking, and if that's the case, then you're out of luck and you have no way to migrate except to change careers.

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Gaganm said:

@Marisawright, yes I believe some occupations are just not required due to over supply. On your suggestion on a different job title which may be on the list and resonates with my experience, will they even consider such a case with no work experience directly in that occupation?

It’s more about what you do rather than what you call yourself. As long as you match the criteria for that ANZSCO Code what the job title is doesn’t really matter. Countries often call the same job different things so don’t get hung up on job title. Good luck. 👍