VETASSESS Skills assesment electrician

tommy2020

• 3 months later...

Hi Tommy.

The assessment is all the paperwork needed to submit.

After this has been approved you will then be invited for the practical.

I did mine about 13 years ago. I was like you apprehensive as I was 43 when I took the practical.

It was all pretty straightforward and the assessors were very helpful. There not there to catch you out or anything. So long as you know a bit of everything you'll be fine.

Cheers Greg

I think there were refresher courses years ago when I looked, but when I did my skills recognition in Sep last year, there wasn’t any refresher courses available, only in Aus they seem to do them.

best advice I can give is read what’s expected on the website, brush-up on AC/DC motor theory, different kinds of motor feeders & drives etc. I had to draw then wire up a DOL control circuit, this was ok for me but, out of the 9 people in the class, most struggled with this!

Everyone seems to to say they’re not there to catch you out, their not, but 2x failed in our session so it’s not a walk in the park.

I would also revisit basic cable size calcs, volt drop calcs etc.

Read up on testing, if you don’t do a lot, just make sure you can do a low ohm resistance test(R1+R2), insulation & earth loop.

Also make sure you familiarise yourself with the proper safe isolation Procedure that most domestic sparks don’t practice or know! A volt stick is not a way of proving dead, you need a proper voltage tester with generator & to do the sequence properly if asked! 
Good luck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tommy2020 said:

Yeah I was looking for maybe website which went threw some of the knowledge for the written exam. The practical I be ok with.

Thanks

If you go on there vetassess website and look under your code, it will show you what sort of things you go through.

All very basic stuff and the examiners are there to help not fail you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tommy2020 said:

Yeah I was looking for maybe website which went threw some of the knowledge for the written exam. The practical I be ok with.

Thanks

Most of this stuff is all "Greek" to me. I came on working holiday in 1978 and I did not have to provide any proof of skills. I was ready to show them my RSA Stage I and II typewriting though!

Actually, by researching (i.e. "Googling") some of these queries I have added to my scanty knowledge of the emigration/immigration process. Many of the acronyms still defeat me though.

23 hours ago, Lavers said:

If you go on there vetassess website and look under your code, it will show you what sort of things you go through.

All very basic stuff and the examiners are there to help not fail you.

I beg to differ, maybe in other trade skills assessments it’s not so rigorous, for my friend who was a metal fabricator/welder it was just an interview, pretty straight forward & he paid half what I had to!
Electricians are licensed trades, along with plumbers & refrigeration engineers. For me it was a full day of assessments as the technical interview was not done online, so pretty crammed in, we finished at 17:30.

I’m not proposing you worry about it as it’s not rocket science or level 4 electrical principles, but for a day that basically costs £3000, you can’t afford to be complacent thinking the examiners are just there to wave you through. 
Read up what I’ve said above & you should be fine. 👍

• 2 months later...

Hi Tommy,

I done the trade test in March 2020 ( I believe the last before Covid ) As expected your nerves kick in, what I will say is they want it carried out in the Australian way, I was under the impression it would be similar to an AM2 test but it wasn't!

Basically there were 3 of us and it was 09.00 till 17.00 the test was carried out in Isleworth London

This is how the day went,

1. Introduction
  2. Draw a stop start circuit for a DOL motor with the correct symbols
  3. Into a booth,  install and wire a single phase DB with sockets and 2 way lighting including full testing ( this is to no British standard as they way they ask you to test was a bit misleading, I have my test and inspection so was frustrating ) bit of conduit work and ensure you follow the drawing for measurements etc, the examiner will witness the testing and ask questions 
  4. Safe isolation ( I cannot stress enough to read an fully understand the requirements as it is very different from how we would prove dead in the uk ) if you get this wrong you will fail instantly.
  5. On a bread board you need to wire the control circuit of a stop start circuit for a DOL Motor , they will then put a fault on it and you have to rectify ( just rewire it as its only fly leads )
  6. Technical interview - the will question you on your in-depth knowledge 
  7. Theory test of 24 questions over multiple sections, you need to score at least 3 in each section, majority of this is calculations which are tough. If you do get more than 3 wrong in a section they will give you one more chance to rectify and mistakes. 

My advise would be to practice control circuits and symbols, start delta connections on motors and practice the Australian way of safe isolation. I'm an industrial electrician so motors and control circuits are fine with me, the 2 other lads were domestic and really struggled - the examiner does let you help each other on only the theory test but discretely don't make it obvious. The 2 lads that were with me didnt even know what start or delta meant.

The English language test is probably more frustrating!!........................

All the best 

Baz

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 28/02/2021 at 13:27, Sparkybaz said:

Hi Tommy,

I done the trade test in March 2020 ( I believe the last before Covid ) As expected your nerves kick in, what I will say is they want it carried out in the Australian way, I was under the impression it would be similar to an AM2 test but it wasn't!

Basically there were 3 of us and it was 09.00 till 17.00 the test was carried out in Isleworth London

1. Introduction
  3. Into a booth,  install and wire a single phase DB with sockets and 2 way lighting including full testing ( this is to no British standard as they way they ask you to test was a bit misleading, I have my test and inspection so was frustrating ) bit of conduit work and ensure you follow the drawing for measurements etc, the examiner will witness the testing and ask questions 
  4. Safe isolation ( I cannot stress enough to read an fully understand the requirements as it is very different from how we would prove dead in the uk ) if you get this wrong you will fail instantly.
  5. On a bread board you need to wire the control circuit of a stop start circuit for a DOL Motor , they will then put a fault on it and you have to rectify ( just rewire it as its only fly leads )
  7. Theory test of 24 questions over multiple sections, you need to score at least 3 in each section, majority of this is calculations which are tough. If you do get more than 3 wrong in a section they will give you one more chance to rectify and mistakes. 

My advise would be to practice control circuits and symbols, start delta connections on motors and practice the Australian way of safe isolation. I'm an industrial electrician so motors and control circuits are fine with me, the 2 other lads were domestic and really struggled - the examiner does let you help each other on only the theory test but discretely don't make it obvious. The 2 lads that were with me didnt even know what start or delta meant.

The English language test is probably more frustrating!!........................

All the best 

Baz

Hi Sparkybaz

I have to face the technical interview in the near future an it will be online-based. I have few questions

1) How long does it conduct?

2) what would be the questions?

3) Can I do the interview by my own computer if it is online ?

please help me to get this done...

Thank you in advance

On 28/02/2021 at 13:27, Sparkybaz said:

Hi Tommy,

1. Introduction

All the best 

Baz

16 hours ago, NLN said:

Hi Sparkybaz

I have to face the technical interview in the near future an it will be online-based. I have few questions

1) How long does it conduct?

2) what would be the questions?

3) Can I do the interview by my own computer if it is online ?

please help me to get this done...

Thank you in advance

Hi NLN,

not sure how long your technical interview will be remotely as we were questioned throughout the day, however we did have a short interview at the end of the day to recap but this was only about 10 minutes.

From memory they questioned me on maintainable and non maintainable emergency lighting, star delta motors, to be honest it was basic stuff nothing to stress about.

as I’ve said if you are a qualified electrician with relevant experience across the industry you have nothing to worry about, they are not looking to catch you out and just looking for competency.

Have you completed the practical assessment and multiple choice exam? 

Regards

baz