QLD quarantine charges

lydia_schmidia

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could answer my question. We have flights booked for end of October to hopefully fly over and validate our PR visas. (We don't really want to leave it up to chance whether our visas will get cancelled if we don't make the first entry date). We are prepared to quarantine, and also prepared to pay if we need to. However I know that if flights were booked before 17 June we might not need to pay any charges. We have a flexible flight ticket and are now looking to potentially change our travel dates to September for some personal reasons. Does anyone know if we would end up being charged for quarantine if we change the dates of a flexible ticket that was originally booked before 17 June? Really struggling to find any info! Thanks so much 

I'd say, assume you will be charged, and then it will be a nice bonus if you're not.    I'm assuming they will look at your flight details to see when the flight was booked and I don't know which date that will show - probably the date that actual flight was booked.

When you say you're coming to validate your visa, are you planning to just visit, quarantine and then go back to the UK again?  

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'd say, assume you will be charged, and then it will be a nice bonus if you're not.    I'm assuming they will look at your flight details to see when the flight was booked and I don't know which date that will show - probably the date that actual flight was booked.

When you say you're coming to validate your visa, are you planning to just visit, quarantine and then go back to the UK again?  

Hi,

Thanks for the response!

Yes the plan is to go and quarantine, then stay with my partner's sister for a week in Brisbane then head back to the UK (and probably quarantine again, but at least it should be in our house). Not sure if this is a realistic plan but we're just so keen to get the visa validated. We really don't want to risk losing it as we likely wouldn't get another one at this point. So hard to know what the best thing to do is, I'm sure plenty of others are in the same position.

Another complication is the fact that I'm pregnant so flying will be a risk any later than Mid-October (and is an increased risk even before then with Covid added in). I guess if we end up not being able to travel we will just have to suck it up and hope for the best that we still have a visa in a year or so. 

Just now, 31Hillbury said:

I might be wrong but once you have entered you won’t be able to leave unless you can get a travel exemption.

Ed

Oh really? I thought that if you weren't normally resident you could still leave, but not sure how you would prove that, or whether they just know from whatever they have on record 

1 minute ago, lydia_schmidia said:

Oh really? I thought that if you weren't normally resident you could still leave, but not sure how you would prove that, or whether they just know from whatever they have on record 

PR and Citizens don't need exemption to go in but they do to leave, so once there you will need to apply for an exemption to leave stating you are returning to your country of normal residence i guess. Problem with this is no one really knows how long these exemptions take!

My understanding of it is they basically don't want anyone going in other than PR or Australians returning home to stay. I think i would also be worried that If they see a return ticket for a short trip it indicates you're not actually returning home to Australia and they might not let you in at all 😕 Im sure there are many others in this same situation who can offer advice on their experience  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RosieH11 said:

PR and Citizens don't need exemption to go in but they do to leave, so once there you will need to apply for an exemption to leave stating you are returning to your country of normal residence i guess. Problem with this is no one really knows how long these exemptions take!

My understanding of it is they basically don't want anyone going in other than PR or Australians returning home to stay. I think i would also be worried that If they see a return ticket for a short trip it indicates you're not actually returning home to Australia and they might not let you in at all 😕 Im sure there are many others in this same situation who can offer advice on their experience  

Ok thank you, think I will need to look into it more and maybe contact the migration agent we used. If that is the case though maybe they might be a bit less likely to cancel our visa (🤷🏻‍♀️), although I guess if they really want to curb migration that would be an easy way to do it. A definite extension to first entry date would be really useful, but hey ho, I always knew we would be at the whim of whatever the govt decides. 

At least our flights can be moved to anytime within 2 years so that's not really an issue. 

12 minutes ago, lydia_schmidia said:

Ok thank you, think I will need to look into it more and maybe contact the migration agent we used. If that is the case though maybe they might be a bit less likely to cancel our visa (🤷🏻‍♀️), although I guess if they really want to curb migration that would be an easy way to do it. A definite extension to first entry date would be really useful, but hey ho, I always knew we would be at the whim of whatever the govt decides. 

At least our flights can be moved to anytime within 2 years so that's not really an issue. 

An extension on the date to validate your PR would be you'd think the kindest resolution, asking people to apply again for a visa is quite a rough blow, considering this is totally out of your control. Definitely speak to your agent, maybe under the circumstances there are other options. You work hard and spend a lot of money / time / stress to get the grant in the first place 😞 you don't want to have to go through all that again if you can help it.

It's a really tricky situation. I have a situation myself in that I already have my PR, but the Travel Facility expires soon, so i will have to return and stay - which was my plan for this year anyways, its just now a lot more complication and rather stressful. I can tell you though Australia is a brilliant place to live, and absolutely worth all the effort and more, i'm sure you will already know this from your family who live there already! Good luck with it all 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RosieH11 said:

An extension on the date to validate your PR would be you'd think the kindest resolution, asking people to apply again for a visa is quite a rough blow, considering this is totally out of your control. Definitely speak to your agent, maybe under the circumstances there are other options. You work hard and spend a lot of money / time / stress to get the grant in the first place 😞 you don't want to have to go through all that again if you can help it.

It's a really tricky situation. I have a situation myself in that I already have my PR, but the Travel Facility expires soon, so i will have to return and stay - which was my plan for this year anyways, its just now a lot more complication and rather stressful. I can tell you though Australia is a brilliant place to live, and absolutely worth all the effort and more, i'm sure you will already know this from your family who live there already! Good luck with it all 

There's no way we'd get another 189 now as well, we managed to get an invite just in time with 75 points before they really reduced invite numbers. Our plan C/D/whatever could possibly be for my partner to travel if they reopen borders before end of Feb, validate his visa and then go through the partner visa process for me. But that is far from ideal! I wish we were ready to move right now but that's out of the question unfortunately.

I really hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you! Our problem feels quite small compared to the planning it must take to arrange a move at the moment. Xx

10 hours ago, lydia_schmidia said:

Yes the plan is to go and quarantine, then stay with my partner's sister for a week in Brisbane then head back to the UK (and probably quarantine again, but at least it should be in our house). ...

Another complication is the fact that I'm pregnant so flying will be a risk any later than Mid-October (and is an increased risk even before then with Covid added in).

That does make life complicated.  In your shoes, I wouldn't be banking on them extending your "arrive by" date.  There are flights available now, so they could easily argue there was nothing to stop you.  

Once you arrive and the visa is activated, you become a permanent resident and you need permission to leave.  You'll need to show evidence that you're permanently resident overseas - e.g. a copy of your lease, or recent utility bills in both your names.     It takes about 4 weeks to get approval, but that's not too bad - apply the day you arrive (it's online), then you've got two weeks in quarantine, then stay two weeks with your partner's sister (or three if you want to be on the safe side).    It does mean that you'll need to fly earlier than October, so you can fly back while it's still safe for you to fly.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That does make life complicated.  In your shoes, I wouldn't be banking on them extending your "arrive by" date.  There are flights available now, so they could easily argue there was nothing to stop you.  

Once you arrive and the visa is activated, you become a permanent resident and you need permission to leave.  You'll need to show evidence that you're permanently resident overseas - e.g. a copy of your lease, or recent utility bills in both your names.     It takes about 4 weeks to get approval, but that's not too bad - apply the day you arrive (it's online), then you've got two weeks in quarantine, then stay two weeks with your partner's sister (or three if you want to be on the safe side).    It does mean that you'll need to fly earlier than October, so you can fly back while it's still safe for you to fly.   

I've just looked on the DHA website and it says;

"Read the information below before you submit your enquiry

If you meet the following criteria you do not need to apply for an exemption:

• people ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • people whose travel is associated with essential work at offshore facilities
  • people engaged in the day to day conduct of outbound and inbound freight
  • people travelling on official Government business (including members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF))
  • airline and maritime crew and associated safety workers

Exemptions will be assessed on a case-by-case basis for those who meet the criteria listed below."

So hopefully we might not actually need the exemption? I am just a bit confused about how they know you are not ordinarily resident at the border. I suppose they must have their means. 

16 minutes ago, lydia_schmidia said:

"Read the information below before you submit your enquiry

If you meet the following criteria you do not need to apply for an exemption:

• people ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • people whose travel is associated with essential work at offshore facilities
  • people engaged in the day to day conduct of outbound and inbound freight
  • people travelling on official Government business (including members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF))
  • airline and maritime crew and associated safety workers

Exemptions will be assessed on a case-by-case basis for those who meet the criteria listed below."

So hopefully we might not actually need the exemption? I am just a bit confused about how they know you are not ordinarily resident at the border. I suppose they must have their means. 

Oops, you are absolutely right.  You don't need to apply for an exemption.  However, you will need to show evidence when you get to the airport, or they won't let you on the plane.   So you'll need to take documents with you and be ready to show them on departure.   Anything that proves your permanent home is in the UK, and I'd take a few documents rather than rely on just one.

Things like utility bills in both your names, a bank statement, a copy of your lease if you're renting.  

Just now, Marisawright said:

Oops, you are absolutely right.  You don't need to apply for an exemption.  However, you will need to show evidence when you get to the airport, or they won't let you on the plane.   So you'll need to take documents with you and be ready to show them on departure.   Anything that proves your permanent home is in the UK, and I'd take a few documents rather than rely on just one.

Things like utility bills in both your names, a bank statement, a copy of your lease if you're renting.  

Phew! Taking 4 weeks off work is a lot more complicated for us than 3 so it would be great if we didn't have to do that. Fingers crossed we're good to go then! 

44 minutes ago, lydia_schmidia said:

Phew! Taking 4 weeks off work is a lot more complicated for us than 3 so it would be great if we didn't have to do that. Fingers crossed we're good to go then! 

Don’t forget you’ll need to take the 2 weeks off work when you return back and have to quarantine.  Maybe you can work from home but if not, it makes it 5 weeks off work. It’s something that’s been mentioned at my work place over the last week which is why it’s come to my mind. I believe most employers are saying if you chose to go overseas knowing there is quarantine in place then you need to take the 2 weeks quarantine on return as holiday too. Makes sense I guess, employers aren’t going to dish out a 2 week freebie. 

Edited by Tulip1

Just now, Tulip1 said:

Don’t forget you’ll need to take the 2 weeks off work when you return back and have to quarantine.  Maybe you can work from home but if not, it makes it a lot of time off work. It’s something that’s been mentioned at my work place over the last week which is why it’s come to my mind. I believe most employers are saying if you chose to go overseas knowing there is quarantine in place then you need to take the 2 weeks quarantine on return as holiday too. Makes sense I guess, employers aren’t going to dish out a 2 week freebie. 

That's a good point, we're both very lucky that we can work from home so that shouldn't be a problem. We did check this with our employers before we booked flights. They aren't yet aware we have visas but we're prepared to tell them if they query why we're able to go in the first place. We might even ask if they'd let us do some work from hotel quarantine because I think we will go out of our minds without something to focus on for 2 weeks! 

That's a good point, we're both very lucky that we can work from home so that shouldn't be a problem. We did check this with our employers before we booked flights. They aren't yet aware we have visas but we're prepared to tell them if they query why we're able to go in the first place. We might even ask if they'd let us do some work from hotel quarantine because I think we will go out of our minds without something to focus on for 2 weeks! 

Sounds good, that’s lucky. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Just reading this thread, how does it work for Partner Visa holders going over to validate and returning back to UK until ready to make the move?

If 2 weeks in quarantine to start in Australia  and it takes 4 weeks to get approval for permission to leave Australia, what employer would allow that to happen in the UK?  Thats basically a 6 week period off work!!!! Not a chance. 

I cannot see that happening so would have to try and extend the entry date on the visa.

Unless we sell ou house this year and make the move, everything is going to get very complicated and become impossible,  this situation is stressing me out so much, I just feel this move is not going to happen at all sometimes.😔😔😔😔

Edited by Aussiebird
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Just reading this thread, how does it work for Partner Visa holders going over to validate and returning back to UK until ready to make the move?

If 2 weeks in quarantine to start in Australia  and it takes 4 weeks to get approval for permission to leave Australia, what employer would allow that to happen in the UK?  Thats basically a 6 week period off work!!!! Not a chance. 

I cannot see that happening so would have to try and extend the entry date on the visa.

Unless we sell ou house this year and make the move, everything is going to get very complicated and become impossible,  this situation is stressing me out so much, I just feel this move is not going to happen at all sometimes.😔😔😔😔

I feel you, it's stressing me out too! We are also not in a position to sell our house or quit our jobs this year but just need to validate the visas.

I'm not sure about the rules for partner visas or which one you have? Assuming you have PR you might be in the same position as us, where as long as you are not usually resident in Australia you can leave without needing to apply for exemption. I've done a bit of digging and I think they can tell where you've been from international travel records, so while it's probably a good idea to take documents showing you don't live in Australia they probably have their own ways of checking it too.

I'm going to contact our migration agent in the next few weeks and see if he can give us a definite answer about whether we'd be able to just do a validation trip. There's so much hanging on this and we really don't want to mess it up accidentally! An absolute last resort desperate option could maybe be to fly out, validate visa and fly straight back without leaving the airport but not sure if that's even allowed. And would be horrific 😆

I feel you, it's stressing me out too! We are also not in a position to sell our house or quit our jobs this year but just need to validate the visas.

I'm not sure about the rules for partner visas or which one you have? Assuming you have PR you might be in the same position as us, where as long as you are not usually resident in Australia you can leave without needing to apply for exemption. I've done a bit of digging and I think they can tell where you've been from international travel records, so while it's probably a good idea to take documents showing you don't live in Australia they probably have their own ways of checking it too.

I'm going to contact our migration agent in the next few weeks and see if he can give us a definite answer about whether we'd be able to just do a validation trip. There's so much hanging on this and we really don't want to mess it up accidentally! An absolute last resort desperate option could maybe be to fly out, validate visa and fly straight back without leaving the airport but not sure if that's even allowed. And would be horrific 😆

It's a 309/100 visa, needs to be validated by beginning of Feb.

Funny enough, I was thinking maybe he could fly straight back without leaving the airport too, but haven't heard at all if this is allowed?😃  I expect all states will be charging for quarantine at some point.  For 2 adults and a teenager, will be $$$.  Would have to come out of the sale of our home so would affect what we have left to buy in Australia.  

Same here too, house and 2 cars to sell. Quit both our jobs.

Tbh, properties just aren't selling, we are now on with 2 agents, property went live on 10th June. Not a peep from any prospective buyers. 😔

Too much uncertainty in the UK with regards to jobs, unemployment, the virus and looming Brexit.😒😒

Every corner turned is a huge brick wall.😭😭😭😭

17 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

It’s an 8 week period off work unless you can work from home when you return. I think employers that can accommodate this would try to, based on a necessary need rather than just an I fancy lots of time off.  Not a freebie but someone could ask to take some of it as unpaid leave perhaps. I’m sure I’ve seen that you don’t need to apply for permission to leave if you are just there on a short term break. It’s only residents that need permission to leave. 

21 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

If you read the rest of the thread, you'll notice that if you can prove you're permanently resident overseas, you don't have to apply for an exemption.  You just have to provide proof of your permanent address overseas when you depart the country.  

No idea whether he could arrive and go straight back. Obviously, he'd have to go through Customs and Immigration before he'd be counted as having activated his visa. I'm not sure I would bank on being allowed to just arrive in the Arrivals Hall, make his way to Departures and leave again.  Probably safer to assume he'll have to do the 2 weeks quarantine.

2 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

It's a 309/100 visa, needs to be validated by beginning of Feb.

Funny enough, I was thinking maybe he could fly straight back without leaving the airport too, but haven't heard at all if this is allowed?😃  I expect all states will be charging for quarantine at some point.  For 2 adults and a teenager, will be $$$.  Would have to come out of the sale of our home so would affect what we have left to buy in Australia.  

Same here too, house and 2 cars to sell. Quit both our jobs.

Tbh, properties just aren't selling, we are now on with 2 agents, property went live on 10th June. Not a peep from any prospective buyers. 😔

Too much uncertainty in the UK with regards to jobs, unemployment, the virus and looming Brexit.😒😒

Every corner turned is a huge brick wall.😭😭😭😭

It's the uncertainty more than anything isn't it. It's hard to make contingency plans where there are so many different factors. We are just having to think of alternative plans for every single scenario, e.g renting out the house instead of selling, putting off the move for another year, changing dates of flights which could potentially cause issues with work. 

We have until end of Feb to validate ours but if this pregnancy goes well we will have a newborn at the end of Jan so really cannot leave it that long! 

We are prepared to pay for the quarantine, think it's just going to have to be added to the long and ever increasing list of expenses! We are really fortunate though that we can stay with my partner's sister when we first move so we will have some time to find somewhere maybe to rent initially and build back up some of the funds we might lose with the exchange rate or whatever. 

I hope you get some interest in your house soon. I'm guessing renting it out isn't really an option for you? X

6 minutes ago, lydia_schmidia said:

It's the uncertainty more than anything isn't it. It's hard to make contingency plans where there are so many different factors. We are just having to think of alternative plans for every single scenario, e.g renting out the house instead of selling, putting off the move for another year, changing dates of flights which could potentially cause issues with work. 

We have until end of Feb to validate ours but if this pregnancy goes well we will have a newborn at the end of Jan so really cannot leave it that long! 

We are prepared to pay for the quarantine, think it's just going to have to be added to the long and ever increasing list of expenses! We are really fortunate though that we can stay with my partner's sister when we first move so we will have some time to find somewhere maybe to rent initially and build back up some of the funds we might lose with the exchange rate or whatever. 

I hope you get some interest in your house soon. I'm guessing renting it out isn't really an option for you? X

Uncertainty for sure!

We definitely want to sell, tried renting before and felt it caused too many obstacles etc.....

We are just going to leave it on the market and see what happens for the rest of the year.  I am getting too stressed trying to think of everything else all in one go!

x

Edited by Aussiebird

1 hour ago, lydia_schmidia said:

No, they don't. If you can't present proof at the airport, you don't fly.  One of our other members posted about this a while ago.

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No, they don't. If you can't present proof at the airport, you don't fly.  One of our other members posted about this a while ago.

Hmm, just to link back to the DHA page, which says the following; 

"You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems.

If you have not spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months, but still consider yourself to be ordinarily resident in another country, you can submit a request for a travel exemption."

Of course I suppose what they say and what people's actual experiences are might be different!

Edited by lydia_schmidia
  • Like 2