cost of living

Guest martnuge

Guest Jaynie
$36 dollars a kilo for fillets.:wideeyed:

where are you buying your chicken??? woolworths Chicken fillets $15.04 a kilo today!!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$36 dollars a kilo for fillets.:wideeyed:

i made a load of chicken tikka kebabs to take to a BBQ the other week. You would have thought they had never seen chicken breast meat before, like a load of gannets they where. I was left with a slice of bread and a snag!

Guest Pinhead
where are you buying your chicken??? woolworths Chicken fillets $15.04 a kilo today!!!!

Come on Jaynie we all know that Pinocchino sorry Earlswood likes to exaggerate!:biglaugh:

Guest Jaynie
Come on Jaynie we all know that Pinocchino sorry Earlswood likes to exaggerate!:biglaugh:

someone saw him coming when they charged him that!!!:wacko:

Guest barab
hi martin

you must do your research - we are going to adelaide as we found property much cheaper to buy and rental prices less than perth. though thats not to say you will find something to suit you in perth budgetwise as we are a family of 4 hoping to survive on the same earnings you are talking about. go onto www.realestate.com.au and have a look. i saw an interesting article in the aug edition of australia and nz magazine about food shopping and he was saying that if you try to replicate the way you shopped in the uk then you will find it somewhat more expensive you need to shop like an aussie!!! ie buy fresh meat, fish and fruit and veg from the markets and it will be a lot cheaper.

i am sure you will be just fine and i wish you all the best

sjs

Another one who hasn't been here but gives advice...yes we have all heard the bull that shopping at markets is cheaper but it aint.Hopefully wont be too long before you find that out yourself.

Guest itskaren
The cost of living is definatly more expensive in Oz than the UK....the cost of electrical goods including computers mobile phones, ipods etc is mental...you cannot get the great deals you get at ebuyer, Play.com, Amazon etc from anything from plasmas to recorders to cameras.

Chicken is sooo bloody expensive offer here as is bread wine and beer.

Lower average wages + plus higher cost of living = :sad:

I agree totally Earlswood!

Guest moonraker1961

Stick your middle finger up to the supermarkets and grow your own,I do,its very liberating lol

Guest itskaren
Stick your middle finger up to the supermarkets and grow your own,I do,its very liberating lol

I think you're right. Need a garden first!

Guest moonraker1961

Mind you having said that I left 10 years ago and at that time could water my garden whenever I wanted to.Not sure with water restrictions and the drought these days?

Guest Wisemad

Hi , We have been in Perth for a yr now and are on $170k before tax between the 2 of us. We did not sell our house in the UK and therefore did not have any capital to bring over.

We have 2 car loans and we rent at $500 a week. These are expenses that you might not have if you are coming with some capital and are able to buy a car cash and also if you choose the area you want to live in carefully.

We are in Karrinuyp which is 15 mins approx from Perth CBD and therfore the rent tends to be higher and we are also renting a nice new 3 bedroom house.

If you were willing to live further away from the city ( around 30 mins) you would get a nice 4 bedroom house for around 350.

But my daughter goes to a nice public school and it does not cost anything except for uniform( as often as you want to buy )and stationery once a yr around $150 approx.

Our gas is £40 per month on direct debit and electricity is $100 per month approx over the yr. Usually highr during winter as we have the heater on all the time. We don't pay rates on rental and the other major outgoings are food & petrol. We live comfortably on the above salary and are able to put away $500- $800 a fortnight.

There are other extras like swimming lessons, horse riding and drama classes for my daughter which do add up but they are optional.

$170K gross for ahousehold is above average and we are much more comfortable than we were in England but on the other hand it feels like we are starting over again without much savingd, I do agree that if we are to get a mortgage, it's not about how much we can borrow but it's whether we can live comfortably on the repayments.

Hope the above infor helps ,

Dee

Hi , We have been in Perth for a yr now and are on $170k before tax between the 2 of us. We did not sell our house in the UK and therefore did not have any capital to bring over.

We have 2 car loans and we rent at $500 a week. These are expenses that you might not have if you are coming with some capital and are able to buy a car cash and also if you choose the area you want to live in carefully.

We are in Karrinuyp which is 15 mins approx from Perth CBD and therfore the rent tends to be higher and we are also renting a nice new 3 bedroom house.

If you were willing to live further away from the city ( around 30 mins) you would get a nice 4 bedroom house for around 350.

But my daughter goes to a nice public school and it does not cost anything except for uniform( as often as you want to buy )and stationery once a yr around $150 approx.

Our gas is £40 per month on direct debit and electricity is $100 per month approx over the yr. Usually highr during winter as we have the heater on all the time. We don't pay rates on rental and the other major outgoings are food & petrol. We live comfortably on the above salary and are able to put away $500- $800 a fortnight.

There are other extras like swimming lessons, horse riding and drama classes for my daughter which do add up but they are optional.

$170K gross for ahousehold is above average and we are much more comfortable than we were in England but on the other hand it feels like we are starting over again without much savingd, I do agree that if we are to get a mortgage, it's not about how much we can borrow but it's whether we can live comfortably on the repayments.

Dee

Are you intending on staying I only ask as tou say you still have a house in the uk

Malx

Its a shame wages dont balance out

That may be true but I was just offering that as an example for someone to use in their budget for outgoings only. It's up to other folks with their individual incomes to work out if that's OK.

Also, having been here 5 months, I was interested for my own personal info, to see if things really were more expensive here as it is no good comparing with how things were 5/6 months ago as prices are changing so rapidly on both sides of the hemisphere!

For us, what my OH is earning here is a darn site more than he was earning in real terms in the UK!! His income was truly crap in the UK and we were living well beyond our means I am embarrassed to say, at least here we can pay our way - just!!!

Lyn

Guest earlswood

I would not buy that mass produced rubbish from woolworth's:no: free range chicken from Fresh Provisions.

Guest Wembley
Hi, it is so EXPENSIVE here! We are in melbourne and food, petrol etc etc just about everything. We are no better off finicially at all. My husband and I earn £170k a year between us. We have opted for a private education for our children but we cannot afford our own house here so we are in rental.

I just don't know where the money goes. We are not extravagant at all. We don't go out very often as we can't afford it. just the cost of living I suppose!

Good luck

Hiya,

You've got me worried now...just taken a sponsored position in Melbourne earning 125K (Superannuation is separate). My wife won't be able to work just yet as we're expecting our second one in Dec...I've just signed a contract to start in mid-Sept.

Would you know what the take home pay per month is on that? (including Medicare)?

Thanks,

Hiya,

You've got me worried now...just taken a sponsored position in Melbourne earning 125K (Superannuation is separate). My wife won't be able to work just yet as we're expecting our second one in Dec...I've just signed a contract to start in mid-Sept.

Would you know what the take home pay per month is on that? (including Medicare)?

Thanks,

Hi

me and oh are on less than that I turn 50 this year we are going to buy a house when 457 to pr is accepted and should be ok we are in rental and manage better even when we get a mortgage. Aus tax system is different to uk still pay as you go ( their term ) but you can claim more. Next july tax year ends in june as you are sponsored save your flight tickets removal /relocation costs bills youi can claimthem back ohs mate last year been here 5 monyhs claimed 4 grand back. You will be ok on your ,money im sure id swap op think we would manage even with a mortgage we are in Perth with houses and rents highest in oz

Malx

aka Billy 5m

Guest Pinhead
I would not buy that mass produced rubbish from woolworth's:no: free range chicken from Fresh Provisions.

Earlswood as promised

Free range chicken breasts at tesco are $29.68 per Kg.

However I'm sure being someone who worships their body you will prefer the organic free range at $36.28 per Kg.

$36 dollars a kilo for fillets.

mmmm not such a great difference really, especially considering the economies of scale Tesco has.

I agree, its so pumped full of chemicals you can save money just by buying the thighs as after eating them you begin to grow breasts anyway!!!:biglaugh:

Guest itskaren

Dee

We are in exactly the same position. We could not sell the house so are renting it out in the UK. I was shot down for saying that it is not as easy as everyone may think (me included to start with!) that is is tough. We are basically starting all over again. I for one am not comfortable with paying over $3500 per month on mortgage repayments especially in the current enconimical climate. Either one of our jobs could go at the click of a finger. We need to be sensible. We too have 2 children like I said in private school (our choice) but the optional extras like swimming lessons, tennis, karate, chess club etc. If however, we were just a couple then things would be totally different.

x

Guest mudhut29

found it very interesting re cost in uk v. OZ.

I did some research and found the following. my recent electricity bill in OZ was $505. using the same consumption the cheapest cost in the uk I could find was gbp871!

Rates: my annual rates in OZ are $1280. my old address inj the uk has a council tax of GBP 1836!!

a uk governement website gave the average uk income as GBP 28000. the equivalent site in OZ gave average income as $57000.

The minimum wage in uk is GBP5.32 per hour in OZ it is $14.31

I know where I would rather be

Guest Pinhead
found it very interesting re cost in uk v. OZ.

I did some research and found the following. my recent electricity bill in OZ was $505. using the same consumption the cheapest cost in the uk I could find was gbp871!

Rates: my annual rates in OZ are $1280. my old address inj the uk has a council tax of GBP 1836!!

a uk governement website gave the average uk income as GBP 28000. the equivalent site in OZ gave average income as $57000.

The minimum wage in uk is GBP5.32 per hour in OZ it is $14.31

I know where I would rather be

Yes but you're forgetting about the price of bread, beer and chicken:biglaugh:

Everybodys circumstances are going to be different which is why it's very important to do lots of research and a budget of your income & expenses.

Guest Wisemad

In respnse to Yorkshirepom's question,

I still change my mind regularly on whether I want to stay or not. My OH likes it and as a civl engineer he is much better paid and even regarded here than he ever was in England. And the weather is much better but I find it hard as his parents are in England and mine in Mauritius.

I personally feel very solated here. Time will tell whether we stay or not.

The reason we did not sell our house was that I wanted to come hre and give it a try and did not want to close all the doors so to speak. We thought it would be hard to go abck to England and start again. Renting seemed to be the right thing to do. I sometimes regret it when the tenant starts complaining about one thing or another in the house nad our agent who is supposed to look after the house is useless. Messages get passed on to us months later . But I guess in the present climate, I should be grateful I have a tenant and I am not waiitng for a buyer.

Dee

In respnse to Yorkshirepom's question,

I still change my mind regularly on whether I want to stay or not. My OH likes it and as a civl engineer he is much better paid and even regarded here than he ever was in England. And the weather is much better but I find it hard as his parents are in England and mine in Mauritius.

I personally feel very solated here. Time will tell whether we stay or not.

The reason we did not sell our house was that I wanted to come hre and give it a try and did not want to close all the doors so to speak. We thought it would be hard to go abck to England and start again. Renting seemed to be the right thing to do. I sometimes regret it when the tenant starts complaining about one thing or another in the house nad our agent who is supposed to look after the house is useless. Messages get passed on to us months later . But I guess in the present climate, I should be grateful I have a tenant and I am not waiitng for a buyer.

Dee

Hi Dee

Not tryin to discriminate but I think if you are in 2 minds or 2 places you can be complacent, if you have sold up and go for it then you have have no accessible plan b. Obviously if thoings get yhat you can not live and be happy then you can relocate at immense cost. I am going yo use an old football analogy advice given to me as a youngun. Whaen making a tackle if you give it 100% you will be ok go in half heartedc and you will get hurt. Not being antagonistic

ps you canthelp love a walk down the coast footpath go there at weekends me oh and dog makes it all wirth while going for a dip people think im mad they could be right

Malx

Guest Wisemad

I see it differently. I like to keep my options open. I have moved from Mauritius to England, lived in Paris for a while and is now giving Perth a try. I think it is a good option while my 7 yr old daughter is growing up but I think she will have many more options and opportunities( as well as temptation!!) in England once she is a young adult. But it will be up t her where she wants to be and what she wants to do. I think my heart will always be in Mauritius and that's where I hope to end up when I am old(er!!) Perth is a nice place but right now it's not where my heart is. Just a personal thing.

Archived