cost of living

Guest martnuge

Guest Brickie

OK good, Karens sorted, now my question.

I have $15,000,000 in savings at the bank, how can one minimize ones tax, I mean, tax is just for them poor people isnt it?

How can one afford the hols OS and the Chardonnay if one pays tax?

Chin Chin......

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how expensive, I will be earning $60000 per annum, how will this fair in Perth?

best regards

Martin

hi martin

you must do your research - we are going to adelaide as we found property much cheaper to buy and rental prices less than perth. though thats not to say you will find something to suit you in perth budgetwise as we are a family of 4 hoping to survive on the same earnings you are talking about. go onto www.realestate.com.au and have a look. i saw an interesting article in the aug edition of australia and nz magazine about food shopping and he was saying that if you try to replicate the way you shopped in the uk then you will find it somewhat more expensive you need to shop like an aussie!!! ie buy fresh meat, fish and fruit and veg from the markets and it will be a lot cheaper.

i am sure you will be just fine and i wish you all the best

sjs

Guest kenpom
hi martin

you must do your research - we are going to adelaide as we found property much cheaper to buy and rental prices less than perth. though thats not to say you will find something to suit you in perth budgetwise as we are a family of 4 hoping to survive on the same earnings you are talking about. go onto www.realestate.com.au and have a look. i saw an interesting article in the aug edition of australia and nz magazine about food shopping and he was saying that if you try to replicate the way you shopped in the uk then you will find it somewhat more expensive you need to shop like an aussie!!! ie buy fresh meat, fish and fruit and veg from the markets and it will be a lot cheaper.

i am sure you will be just fine and i wish you all the best

sjs

Don't lots of people shop like this in the UK?

I used to love going to the market.

Don't lots of people shop like this in the UK?

I used to love going to the market.

lots of people MIGHT lots of people MIGHT NOT

am just trying to help martin by saying that you should be open to adapting and possibly changing a lot of things to reduce costs

sjs

Guest Debbie Cake

Well all I can say to the people ehat find it exspensive to live here is " what about the weather and the fact you can spend nothing on a good day out at the park have a BBQ, take a picnic, spend a day at the beach, enjoy the weather " My husband and I can eat out at Noosa fo $40 4 beers and share a large pizza, that's £20 you could'nt do that in the U.K in such lovely surrounding's.

Going back to the OP question, I would assume that as you are looking at 2 bed appt's there is not many of you so would say that $60k would get you by OK but then as Pinhead I think it was suggests, if you are a big family it will be harder and you will have to budget much more. Shop around for food etc - Aldi and food markets etc.

I think 'itskaren's post have to be taken with a pinch of salt (I know I am setting myself up for a 'put down' here :embarrassed:) because I have picked up from other posts that she is very unhappy here and are therefore influenced by that :sad:

Lyn x

Going back to the OP question, I would assume that as you are looking at 2 bed appt's there is not many of you so would say that $60k would get you by OK but then as Pinhead I think it was suggests, if you are a big family it will be harder and you will have to budget much more. Shop around for food etc - Aldi and food markets etc.

I don't mean this unkindly but I think 'itskaren's post have to be taken with a pinch of salt (I know I am setting myself up for a 'put down' here :embarrassed:) because I have picked up from other posts that she is very unhappy here and are maybe influenced by that :sad: as I absolutely fail to understand how she is struggling on that amount of money even with kids in private school. I hope things change for her though and it all works out eventually.

Lyn x

How many of you out there have had Aussies tell you how much cheaper is is here than England and that you pay in dollars here what you would pay in GBP back home.

They are deluding themselves- we pay about 20% more for ordinary shopping items (N.Queensland) in true value than we would back home.

Anyone reading this thinking of coming over DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't live (reasonably) on $60k P.A.

Guest itskaren

I don't mean this unkindly but I think 'itskaren's post have to be taken with a pinch of salt (I know I am setting myself up for a 'put down' here :embarrassed:) because I have picked up from other posts that she is very unhappy here and are maybe influenced by that :sad: as I absolutely fail to understand how she is struggling on that amount of money even with kids in private school. I hope things change for her though and it all works out eventually.

Lyn x

Hi Lyn

I am not going to 'put you down' for your opinion. the truth of the matter is as you are correct in saying I am not happy here and just don't think I ever will be. On reflection maybe I should not have posted that we are finding it difficult to by by on $100k pa.(take home that is) However, it is the truth believe it or not. Again my intention was not to be insenitive to people on less income as believe me we have been there!

Last terms fees alone were $15k as they requested that we pay the last term , the kids are in the school up front. This is the usual practice apparrently. I am however, going through our bank statements etc and will from now on keep all my receipts and try and find out where our money does go because I'm sure as hell I don't know! i know that we both have to pay income protection at $80 each per week that we were not expecting. running 2 cars, medical insurance, gas, electricity etc etc.

Again my intention was not to 'rub peoples noses in it' it was an instant reply that I just did not think at the time. We have spent so much money coming over here in the first place we have to make it work somehow although my heart is not in it.

x

You could in Italy though and with a bit of actual culture thrown in. 50 quid easy jet flight from Gatwick and you're there without the fish and chip shops and people munching pies in the street.

Just went there a few weeks ago after going back for the the Premiership Playoffs.

Guest itskaren
How many of you out there have had Aussies tell you how much cheaper is is here than England and that you pay in dollars here what you would pay in GBP back home.

They are deluding themselves- we pay about 20% more for ordinary shopping items (N.Queensland) in true value than we would back home.

Anyone reading this thinking of coming over DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't live (reasonably) on $60k P.A.

My thoughts exatctly.

Hi Lyn

I am not going to 'put you down' for your opinion. the truth of the matter is as you are correct in saying I am not happy here and just don't think I ever will be. On reflection maybe I should not have posted that we are finding it difficult to by by on $100k pa.(take home that is) However, it is the truth believe it or not. Again my intention was not to be insenitive to people on less income as believe me we have been there!

Last terms fees alone were $15k as they requested that we pay the last term , the kids are in the school up front. This is the usual practice apparrently. I am however, going through our bank statements etc and will from now on keep all my receipts and try and find out where our money does go because I'm sure as hell I don't know! i know that we both have to pay income protection at $80 each per week that we were not expecting. running 2 cars, medical insurance, gas, electricity etc etc.

Again my intention was not to 'rub peoples noses in it' it was an instant reply that I just did not think at the time. We have spent so much money coming over here in the first place we have to make it work somehow although my heart is not in it.

x

Hi

I didn't take it as an offence when you quoted your income, was just staggered that you are struggling :embarrassed: I totally understand, when you feel your heart is not in it, I was the same for the first 2/3 months and would have taken the first flight home if it was offered however I have found that it does get better with time and I hope that things work out for you eventually whichever path you choose. I think when you have spent some much money and time into coming here, it's an even bigger decision sometimes to say 'actually this isn't working, lets go back to the UK' and even harder given the state of the economy at the moment! Could you consider a different part of Oz or do you reckon you would still feel the same? PM us if you like - I have big shoulders!

Income wise, the income protection of $80pw takes a bite and is that $15k school fees per term? For my son we pay $8k per year but I budgeted for that out of what we bought over so it is already put by.

I did a comparison the other day, went on Tesco's and Coles websites and did an imaginary shop. There were huge varieties in price, some stuff here (Oz) is massively more expensive (eg household/cleaning stuff) but then other stuff is cheaper (meat, fish) so I found it roughly balanced out.

Lyn x

Guest kenpom
My thoughts exatctly.

In that case I would imagine a lot of Australian families are struggling and all want to leave.

I did a comparison the other day, went on Tesco's and Coles websites and did an imaginary shop. There were huge varieties in price, some stuff here (Oz) is massively more expensive (eg household/cleaning stuff) but then other stuff is cheaper (meat, fish) so I found it roughly balanced out.

Lyn x

Its a shame wages dont balance out

Guest Pinhead

All depends on what you do for a living.

If you and your OH were qualified accounts you could easily earn a gross pay of $250K pa between you.

If you had no kids you'd be rolling in it!

Guest earlswood

The cost of living is definatly more expensive in Oz than the UK....the cost of electrical goods including computers mobile phones, ipods etc is mental...you cannot get the great deals you get at ebuyer, Play.com, Amazon etc from anything from plasmas to recorders to cameras.

Chicken is sooo bloody expensive offer here as is bread wine and beer.

Lower average wages + plus higher cost of living = :sad:

Guest Pinhead
The cost of living is definatly more expensive in Oz than the UK....the cost of electrical goods including computers mobile phones, ipods etc is mental...you cannot get the great deals you get at ebuyer, Play.com, Amazon etc from anything from plasmas to recorders to cameras.

Chicken is sooo bloody expensive offer here as is bread wine and beer.

Lower average wages + plus higher cost of living = :sad:

Earlswood you seem obsessed with the price of Chicken.

As a matter of interest how much is chicken in Perth?

All depends on what you do for a living.

If you and your OH were qualified accounts you could easily earn a gross pay of $250K pa between you.

If you had no kids you'd be rolling in it!

you might be in for a shock VIC Qualified Accountants Salary Information at MyCareer

my misses is an accounts administrater and he boss (a quallified accountant gets 32 dollars an hour

Guest earlswood
Earlswood you seem obsessed with the price of Chicken.

As a matter of interest how much is chicken in Perth?

$36 dollars a kilo for fillets.:wideeyed:

Guest Pinhead
ohhh thats nice... you got the whole minimum super payment, you must be special

Jealousy is such an ugly attribute Aldo, it suits you:biglaugh:

Guest Pinhead
$36 dollars a kilo for fillets.:wideeyed:

Just for you Earlswood I'll check out the price of chicken fillets in Tesco tomorrow so you can budget for your much anticipated home coming:daydreaming:

Archived