cost of living

Guest martnuge

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest snowler

What percentage of the population in Australia have a combined income of $170K ormore? Because if you are struggling on that income how much does the average Auusie have to pull in to keep his head above water?

Guest itskaren

I do not want to buy a place in Mooroolbark because I do not think it is a nice area! When you first move to Australia you just don't know what the areas are like. Evident of a drug problem etc, etc around the town. As we have signed a 12 month contract we are here until it ends (Feb 09). I am sure you can buy a place in mooroolbark for $350 +

I am not trying to be argumentative 'brickie' but I think you are? All I am saying that Australia is not a 'land of milk and honey' as I sure did before I came here"!!!

We will therefore try and find a block of land and build a proper brick house once we have found a plot of land in an area that we like.

Guest itskaren
Pomville outer eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.

What are you talking about? Pomville? Do you know the area?

Guest itskaren
What percentage of the population in Australia have a combined income of $170K ormore? Because if you are struggling on that income how much does the average Auusie have to pull in to keep his head above water?

Take home is actually $100k.

I have no idea how people keep their heads above water!

Guest Brickie
What are you talking about? Pomville? Do you know the area?

Sure do, my folks settled there in the early 70's, Croydon to be precise, nothing but Poms wall to wall, all whinging about how much better it was back in 'ol Blighty. :biglaugh:

Guest kenpom
I do not want to buy a place in Mooroolbark because I do not think it is a nice area! When you first move to Australia you just don't know what the areas are like. Evident of a drug problem etc, etc around the town. As we have signed a 12 month contract we are here until it ends (Feb 09). I am sure you can buy a place in mooroolbark for $350 +

I am not trying to be argumentative 'brickie' but I think you are? All I am saying that Australia is not a 'land of milk and honey' as I sure did before I came here"!!!

We will therefore try and find a block of land and build a proper brick house once we have found a plot of land in an area that we like.

One of teh problems with people moving abroad is thye expect to find somethign better and most people have different criteria of what better means. Is your life or your that of your children better than it was in the UK?

Guest Brickie
Take home is actually $100k.

I have no idea how people keep their heads above water!

Troll alert, Troll alert.........

Vwerrrrt, Vwerrrrt, dive, dive.....Vwerrrrt..............

look saying I earn $170,000 a year was allways going to start contraversal replys, there are so many people with money problems out there that the best thing is not say i have this I have that just keep quite about money or that evil devile will come out again in all of us.

Guest snowler

Is there any mass uncontrolled immigration such as is happening in the UK from EU countries like Rumania, Poland etc?

Guest kenpom
look saying I earn $170,000 a year was allways going to start contraversal replys, there are so many people with money problems out there that the best thing is not say i have this I have that just keep quite about money or that evil devile will come out again in all of us.

The initial question directly concerned money.

Guest Brickie
Is there any mass uncontrolled immigration such as is happening in the UK from EU countries like Rumania, Poland etc?

Australian borders are secure, unless you can swim through shark infested waters, so dont bother trying.....:cute:

Guest kenpom
Australian borders are secure, unless you can swim through shark infested waters, so dont bother trying.....:cute:

Possible a few too many poms being let in at present :wideeyed:

Guest itskaren

I was not trying to be controversal! The questions was asked can you survive on $60k

I am not trying to start a 'fight' or saying that I am better than anyone else which I think is what is implied by you? I could be wrong. I am just saying if we have no money at the end of the month on our salaries then it is difficult on less money surely? I realise that we have more outgoings like school fees,.

Nobody knows me just my christian name so. the questions was asked and I am replying to it! I am not at all 'bragging'. We work damm hard for every cent we earn!! Always have done.

Guest kenpom
thank you Kenpom! Exactly!

Not a problem Karen, but I think you are just trying to be controversial.

You are the weakest link goodbye!

Guest itskaren
Not a problem Karen, but I think you are just trying to be controversial.

You are the weakest link goodbye!

I'll consider myself 'closed' from this forum!

Guest Pinhead
I was not trying to be controversal! The questions was asked can you survive on $60k

I am not trying to start a 'fight' or saying that I am better than anyone else which I think is what is implied by you? I could be wrong. I am just saying if we have no money at the end of the month on our salaries then it is difficult on less money surely? I realise that we have more outgoings like school fees,.

Nobody knows me just my christian name so. the questions was asked and I am replying to it! I am not at all 'bragging'. We work damm hard for every cent we earn!! Always have done.

To get a better understanding of what you can 'survive on' you need to strip out the items that will vary from different circumstances.

If you take out housing, school fees, medical & car costs a single person can easily live on $30K pa net in Melbourne.

From that then increase it for the number of people/children you have appropriately & add on your personal housing costs (ie rent or mortgage), whether you have schools fees & private medical or car.

It's easy to say you can't live on $100K if you have a very high cost base. If you're single, with no kids, own your on house outright and had net income of $100K you'd be rolling in it!

Archived