cost of living

Guest martnuge

Guest martnuge

Howdy all

I am hopefully moving to Perth in the next six weeks and would like to know whats the average costs of living are, we have found some nice two bedroom apartments and are now just concerned about the other relevant costs that we may incure.

Could anyone give me an idea on the following costs please;

Gas, Electricity and Water / Is there a local council tax and or rates?

Average cost of a good car, insurance road tax and fuel?

And finally and most importantly, the cost of having broadband internet?

Any or all of the above would be really appreciated.

many thanks

Martin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest birdie919

the answer to your post is BLOODY EXPENSIVE .ive been here 18 months so i know and the missus has been home so we can compare. food is such a bloddy rip off .clothes ha ha are rubbish and very expensive .cars, bring one with you DEFO !!!!! petrol is a bit cheaper but catching up

Guest martnuge

how expensive, I will be earning $60000 per annum, how will this fair in Perth?

best regards

Martin

OK, not in Perth, am on other side on the Gold Coast but most things are bout the same.

Rental - will include water charges and general rates (council tax equiv). Water is metered so some rental units may put a clause of 'reasonable usage'.

I think, when you get/choose to buy, you will find rates cheaper but then that will depend on where in the UK you come from. For us they seem to be about 50% cheaper!

Petrol is around $1.50/$1.60 a litre

for cars check out www.carsales.com.au or www.drive.com.au will give you a good price guide plus there is a link for insurance quotes so you could do a hypothetical one maybe.

Kia and Hyundai are very popular over here at the budget end. We have one for our son and as a guide and Rego (incl 3rd party ins BUT not as we know it) is $500 per year. Comprehensive insurance is $300.

We also have a Honda CRV but the Rego and comprehensive insurance are not that much more - just uses a lot more petrol :wacko:

Second hand cars are MUCH more expensive here BUT they do not 'age' as quick.

Broadband - you can pay anything from $40 to $100 per month depending on package. Download limits are very common here so the cheaper the package the lower the limit. If you start to get close to your download limit, the bloody thing slows down to ridiculous levels!!

Food - expect to pay the same overall as you do now in the UK. Meat and fish is cheaper but everything else is more expensive and some things are shockingly more expensive.

My personal thoughts are that the cost of living here is very similar OVERALL to the UK but what is cheaper is 'days out'. More often than not you can do that for nothing - beaches, beachside/park bbq's etc for nothing. Where we live, parking is mostly free. Meals out vary just like the UK. What may catch you out though is the cost of things like dental care and prescriptions as they are a lot higher.

Income tax is higher, check this link to see how much you would pay

Individual income tax rates

Hope this helps a bit.

Lyn

Guest itskaren

Hi, it is so EXPENSIVE here! We are in melbourne and food, petrol etc etc just about everything. We are no better off finicially at all. My husband and I earn £170k a year between us. We have opted for a private education for our children but we cannot afford our own house here so we are in rental.

I just don't know where the money goes. We are not extravagant at all. We don't go out very often as we can't afford it. just the cost of living I suppose!

Good luck

Guest kenpom
Hi, it is so EXPENSIVE here! We are in melbourne and food, petrol etc etc just about everything. We are no better off finicially at all. My husband and I earn £170k a year between us. We have opted for a private education for our children but we cannot afford our own house here so we are in rental.

I just don't know where the money goes. We are not extravagant at all. We don't go out very often as we can't afford it. just the cost of living I suppose!

Good luck

Wow, I bet you have just put the wind up martnuge if you are on 170K!!

I too am hoping for cicra 60K with wife and 3 kids to keep satisfied.

Guest itskaren
Wow, I bet you have just put the wind up martnuge if you are on 170K!!

I too am hoping for cicra 60K with wife and 3 kids to keep satisfied.

I honestly think you'll struggle! Good luck!

Good luck

I am gonna ask an honest question here with no offence meant but how can you be struggling on $170k? We don't earn much more than $60k and we are OK. Hardly anything to spare but getting by.

Lyn

Guest Brickie
My husband and I earn £170k a year between us. We have opted for a private education for our children but we cannot afford our own house here so we are in rental.

Your kidding $340,000 per year and you cant afford a house? :shocked:

You could buy one cash for that sort of money....

You must live the high life?

Guest itskaren
I am gonna ask an honest question here with no offence meant but how can you be struggling on $170k? We don't earn much more than $60k and we are OK. Hardly anything to spare but getting by.

Lyn

I can honestly say the school fees are about $30k per year in total for 2 kids in primary school. Other than that just our normal outgoings like rent, food, bills etc. We HONESTLY do not go out much. We don't drink or smoke. We do have the odd bottle of wine every now and then but it's not excessive. I justdon't really understand it! Just the cost of living!

Guest itskaren
Your kidding $340,000 per year and you cant afford a house? :shocked:

You could buy one cash for that sort of money....

You must live the high life?

$170 between us and NO we do not lead the high life far from it!

Guest itskaren
Even if it was a typo and was supposed to be $ instead of £, $170,000....you have to be kidding?

According to this "how much can I borrow" you can borrow on your income, up to $10,000,000, not enough for you?

How much can I borrow? - Home Loan Calculators - eChoice.com.au

To have a mortgage for $350k NAB have quoted us $3500 per month on a 30 year loan. Renting is cheaper! It is not how much you can borrow it is how much you have to pay back! We are therefore going to find a house in the UK to invest in. I for one would not be happy having a loan for $10,000,000! Just a bog standard house will do!

Guest Brickie
we cannot afford our own house here so we are in rental.

I really hate these deceptive posts, it not that you cant afford a house at all as you make out?

Guest Jaynie
To have a mortgage for $350k NAB have quoted us $3500 per month on a 30 year loan. Renting is cheaper! It is not how much you can borrow it is how much you have to pay back! We are therefore going to find a house in the UK to invest in. I for one would not be happy having a loan for $10,000,000! Just a bog standard house will do!

But don't you think that renting is a false economy, okay you might pay a little more for a mortgage, but generally you will make money when you sell (I know that's not the case at this moment, but there is another argument to buy now, prices being a tad lower than the norm) on average rentals cost between $350-$450 per week, so that's money down the drain IMO.

Also we don't earn anywhere near the amount you do and manage to live a comfortable life over here. Everyone is different and I don't think you can say that people can't survive on $60,000 pa as in your previous post.

Guest itskaren
I really hate these deceptive posts, it not that you cant afford a house at all as you make out?

Sure we can afford a house but a dump if that!

Guest itskaren
But don't you think that renting is a false economy, okay you might pay a little more for a mortgage, but generally you will make money when you sell (I know that's not the case at this moment, but there is another argument to buy now, prices being a tad lower than the norm) on average rentals cost between $350-$450 per week, so that's money down the drain IMO.

Also we don't earn anywhere near the amount you do and manage to live a comfortable life over here. Everyone is different and I don't think you can say that people can't survive on $60,000 pa as in your previous post.

hi Jane

Yes it is false economy renting I agree. It is in my opinion others disagree with me!!

All I am saying is that we take home $100k not $170 before tax) and we will struggle to get a house. I am not looking for a house $500+ but there is nothing that I like in the price bracket that we can afford. ie. $350- $450. I do not want to take my kids out of school because we cannot afford the fees. It is fees or a house. I suppose we have chosen fees.

I personally just don't know how people can survive on $60k pa? I really don't.

Good luck

My sister must be in the same club as you as they are always broke. Her husband lost his job so had to less pay on next job still earning over £35,000. The thing is they stiil take three hols a year go away seperatly for long weekends with friends & her biggest moan is I dont Know wear the money goes lol

Guest itskaren
My sister must be in the same club as you as they are always broke. Her husband lost his job so had to less pay on next job still earning over £35,000. The thing is they stiil take three hols a year go away seperatly for long weekends with friends & her biggest moan is I dont Know wear the money goes lol

I wish we went on 3 holidays a year! I really don't know what we are doing wrong. i know food shopping is so expensive. If I could put my finger on it and say 'yes' it is because we do 'A, B and C' then it would make sense! We do have 2 cars (second hand) that we spend $200 a week. My children swim, do karate and play tennis once a week. I suppose all of that needs paying for!

Archived