School place before arrival

Kayleighjx

Hi all I have just been offered a place at Tafe to study early childhood education. I will be taking my partner and 2 young children, one of which will be due to start school in January. Looking at the requirements for the student visa it says that I need to have my child enrolled in a school. After contacting the local school in Australia they can’t offer me a place till we have a residential address in the catchment area. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there some way around it? Thank you x

Are you sure you're not confusing it with your enrolment as a student? Your kids will be dependents. Enrolment will depend on place of residence although there is no guarantee that for the dependents of student visa holders they will be offered a place in their local school.  IIRC in some states, enrolment is student visa dependents is a central application rather than school application and enrolment. 

Thank you for responding. The list of the requirements to apply for the student visa says “Evidence of enrolment of an accompanying dependent child 5 to 18 years of age at an Australian school. If any family unit members are 5 to 17 years of age (inclusive) and will live with the applicant in Australia, documentation confirming their enrolment in an Australian school.”