Initial Entry on 189 visa

Pedro09

Hi, my family and I were due to visit Australia (specifically Perth, WA) this July in order to make an initial entry on our 189 visa. We were granted it in January and have to make initial entry before January 2021. Our intention is to make the move permanent within the next year to 18 months. Clearly, with the current Covid-19 crisis, it looks like we may not be able to visit Australia this summer - unless restrictions are lifted fairly soon. I am a secondary school teacher and am restricted to non-term time travel. So my only other option would be to travel at Christmas - as long as restrictions are lifted. Could anyone share some advice about what the situation would be should current travel restrictions still remain in place come January 2021?  Many thanks - Pete

I was contemplating about sailing across the Pacific from North America, if flying becomes impossible, you just gotta dodge hurricane/typhoon season. People are always sailing from Europe to Aus, so you should be fine, at 5nm/hr it'll just take a few months.

12 hours ago, Pedro09 said:

Hi, my family and I were due to visit Australia (specifically Perth, WA) this July in order to make an initial entry on our 189 visa. We were granted it in January and have to make initial entry before January 2021. Our intention is to make the move permanent within the next year to 18 months. Clearly, with the current Covid-19 crisis, it looks like we may not be able to visit Australia this summer - unless restrictions are lifted fairly soon. I am a secondary school teacher and am restricted to non-term time travel. So my only other option would be to travel at Christmas - as long as restrictions are lifted. Could anyone share some advice about what the situation would be should current travel restrictions still remain in place come January 2021?  Many thanks - Pete

Why don't you do the move in one go, rather than a separate validation visit. Last time I checked, permanent residents were still allowed entry.

18 hours ago, Pedro09 said:

I don't think anyone knows what the travel situation will be in May, never mind next year!

On 15/04/2020 at 17:27, Pedro09 said:

Could anyone share some advice about what the situation would be should current travel restrictions still remain in place come January 2021?  

As things currently stand, you can still enter Australia as a permanent resident. As things currently stand, the Department is being flexible on first entry dates. This may, of course change tomorrow... 

• Like 1

Hi @paulhand  I was interested to read your comment 'the Department is being flexible on first entry dates'. We have 489 (temporary) visas with a first entry date of 17 July 2020. We were planning on heading out in June but plans have come to a grinding halt and we're obviously now very worried that the borders will still be closed and we'll miss our window. Even if open in time it might not give us enough time to get ourselves together, although we are preparing. I've been trying to find information on what will happen in our situation. From what I've read I thought our visa would be cancelled and we'd then have to apply to have the decision revoked. Was just wondering where you got your info from regarding the statement you made? Would be very interested to hear any futher. Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, jo.b said:

Hi @paulhand  I was interested to read your comment 'the Department is being flexible on first entry dates'. We have 489 (temporary) visas with a first entry date of 17 July 2020. We were planning on heading out in June but plans have come to a grinding halt and we're obviously now very worried that the borders will still be closed and we'll miss our window. Even if open in time it might not give us enough time to get ourselves together, although we are preparing. I've been trying to find information on what will happen in our situation. From what I've read I thought our visa would be cancelled and we'd then have to apply to have the decision revoked. Was just wondering where you got your info from regarding the statement you made? Would be very interested to hear any futher. Many thanks. 

This is the information provided by the skilled visa section of the Department to the MIA (the industry body). An email to the section who granted your visa is warranted if you are sure you will not hit the date. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 18:18, paulhand said:

This is the information provided by the skilled visa section of the Department to the MIA (the industry body). An email to the section who granted your visa is warranted if you are sure you will not hit the date. 

Thank you. I'll try to find an email address to contact them.

Hi - Just to update I emailed skilled.support@homeaffairs.gov.au. I immediately received an automated response with information for first entry to Australia for 189, 190, 489 and 491 visas advising that condition 8504 would be waived if you cannot enter by 'for first entry, arrive by' date but you must still enter by the 'must not arrive after date'. You have to print off the Notice as proof and present it to travel providers if needed when booking and immigration on arrival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1