491 visa and coronavirus

Hello,

Does someone know what happens to those people who have been invited and applied but not yet granted, considering the closure of temporary skilled visas? My estimated processing time keeps extending every time I reach the range. It’s an emotional rollercoaster but I’m starting to see the funny side of it especially as it’s taken two years to get to this point. 

I also think realistically March to June 2021 will be a realistic expectations for borders, ie post vaccinations. Australia seems hyper paranoid about Coronavirus and obviously aiming for elimination rather than control. It has been scary to watch how reactive they have been about their state borders because it makes the concept of opening international borders unimaginable. On the plus side, for the next pandemic, I can only hope that I will be in Australia as they have done a solid job with this one 👏🏼

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PJA87 said:

Australia seems hyper paranoid about Coronavirus and obviously aiming for elimination rather than control. It has been scary to watch how reactive they have been about their state borders because it makes the concept of opening international borders unimaginable. On the plus side, for the next pandemic, I can only hope that I will be in Australia as they have done a solid job with this one 👏🏼

Yes, I'm sure it looks like that from outside.  Officially, Australia was never aiming for elimination, but most states have got so close, I think people are thinking of it now.  Around the world, we're seeing that "suppression" doesn't really work, because as soon as countries relax restrictions, the numbers shoot up again.  

I noticed on a few pages today that there has been invitations for 189 visas and also family sponsored 491 today / yesterday. I find it hopeful and interesting that this is the case but there is no talk of when the 491 people can actually enter the country? 

Even if they could give a date for the end of the year that would be helpful. Not expecting the borders to open by any means but the 491 visa should be allowed entry just like 189 and 190 PR visas 🤞🤔🤔😔 

10 minutes ago, Maddysue said:

I noticed on a few pages today that there has been invitations for 189 visas and also family sponsored 491 today / yesterday. I find it hopeful and interesting that this is the case but there is no talk of when the 491 people can actually enter the country? 

Even if they could give a date for the end of the year that would be helpful. Not expecting the borders to open by any means but the 491 visa should be allowed entry just like 189 and 190 PR visas 🤞🤔🤔😔 

I agree with you. I feel like we’ve been completely forgotten about!

I just wish we could get a mention at some point and say ‘yep, we know you exist, here’s what we’re thinking of next year or whenever for you guys to be able to come in.’ 

• 3 weeks later...

Us 489ers feel the same. No real mention. I understand it would be a bad time to travel and try and secure work however it would be nice to know if there is some sort of plan, the way it's going i'll have had my visa for a whole year before there's any travel allowed, and tat's at the earliest.

On 16/07/2020 at 17:21, PickledRic said:

I agree with you. I feel like we’ve been completely forgotten about!

I just wish we could get a mention at some point and say ‘yep, we know you exist, here’s what we’re thinking of next year or whenever for you guys to be able to come in.’ 

I'm sailing in the same boat here, albeit with a 489 visa. My first date of entry is in February 2021 and I'm worried that the visa will be rejected outright if I don't make it to Australia by then. I wrote to HomeAffairs requesting them to extend the first entry date due to the long-term border closures, but have not received a response even after nearly a month. My request for an exemption was denied within a week, though.

It's increasingly looking like all the money, time, emotion, and effort spent on getting a 489 visa will be for naught, which is very depressing. Compounding that is having quit my job and packed my bags, ready to leave on March 23, only to find that Australia closed its borders on the 20th.

Edited by RRR2020
Noticed a spelling mistake.

6 hours ago, db100 said:

I'm sure I read elsewhere on the forum that the DHA had released a letter saying the date of first entry obligation had been removed due to the current situation?

People holding a 189 or 190 visa are getting a letter to that effect - however nobody else is, even holders of permanent partner visas. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again!

Does anyone else who is a 491 visa holder stuck offshore have an occupation on the new PMSOL priority occupation list? I do (construction PM) and am wondering if I should apply for a travel exemption. The list published seems to focus on those wanting an employer sponsored visa, but I have my visa already off my own back not through a company..

anyone else tried for the exemption and what happened?

16 minutes ago, Maddysue said:

Hello again!

Does anyone else who is a 491 visa holder stuck offshore have an occupation on the new PMSOL priority occupation list? I do (construction PM) and am wondering if I should apply for a travel exemption. The list published seems to focus on those wanting an employer sponsored visa, but I have my visa already off my own back not through a company..

anyone else tried for the exemption and what happened?

It's a bit early for much data on that specific list ... but there is no harm in applying for the exemption to test it out!