491 Visa rights

Hi There,

I am a diagnostic Radiographer planning to Move to Australia in the next 12 months.

In the last 2 years I have seen the competition for 189 visas increase to the point where it is no longer an option, 190 programmes begin to remove or limit Radiographers, and now my only remaining path is the 491 regional skilled visa.

Does anyone know what rights this grants for things like state schooling and fees, Medicare and other benefits that would have applied under a 189 or 190 PR programme?

My skills assessment is yet to be granted despite being into week 20

IELTS : 19/05/18: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 07/11/19, 14/11/19, --/--/--

• Like 1

Have a look at centrelink 

A 491 is a “provisional visa” not a temp visa, so qualifies for everything except social security benefits, though normally (corona excepted) even 189 holders have very limited rights to those. The once exception may be free / subsidised nursery places. 

• Thanks 1

Found it 🙂

Subject to the passage of legislation: holders of the following visa subclasses will meet the definition of an Australian resident for social security purposes:

• subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional)
  • subclass 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional).

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/payments-visa-holders

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread but given the current economic climate, am I able to accept a short term contract (3/6 months) outside a designated postcode area? 

I will still be living in a regional area though. Will this affect my chances of getting PR?

Should I contact immigration first before accepting the offer?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, helpplease said:

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread but given the current economic climate, am I able to accept a short term contract (3/6 months) outside a designated postcode area? 

I will still be living in a regional area though. Will this affect my chances of getting PR?

Should I contact immigration first before accepting the offer?

Thanks!

From my understanding, as long as you steer clear of cities, I think you can work in any area classified as a regional area. 

• 1 month later...

hi guys

I'm a radiographer having trouble finding the right form for the skills assessment from ASMIRT- the one I found https://www.asmirt.org/media/2307/2307.pdf requires you to tick one of these 2 options:

There are two types of skills assessments...
Temporary Assessment- This is for those undertaking or about to undertake a supervised practice program and who hold provisional registration with AHPRA
Permanent Assessment- This is for those who have completed their degree who have either finished their supervised practice program or who are not required to undertake a supervised practice program. These candidates will hold general registration with AHPRA.

I didn't realise we needed to register with AHPRA before doing skills assessment- did you have to do this? or did you have a different form?

Thanks!

Vicky