Newcastle NSW

Que Sera Sera

Hi, can anyone give me any information on Newcastle NSW. I have been having a good look at it and the surrounding areas on the web and it would seem at the moment anyway that there are lots of Jobs for my OH in and around that area. Does anyone know the area and can tell me areas to avoid?

We don't want to go inner city but would prefer beachfront or close and nothing too rural preferably close to schools.

Any ideas you lot?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rick n steph hoggard

Hi we shoul be in Newcastle in the new year.Its a hidden gem cos nowhere is far from the beaches even rural.Good people,very friendly no traffic jams for a big city,central for everything and just coming out of the doldrums after the loss of the steel works and looks like they will be opening it up to mining in the not too distant future.If you need to know anything specific drop me a line.Ricky

Hi Ricky,

We'll be arriving in Newcastle in the New Year too! My husband has been once for a job interview, it rained the whole time and he didn't really get to see much. I've never been so we're pretty much going blind. Please tell me everything you know!!! We also have a large brood of small people needing to be educated somewhere, do you know about schools?

Yours in great anticipation...

Sandra

Hi we are heading to Newcastle too......our first choice of area was Merewether and Merewether heights, but not sure we will be able to afford the sort of house we'd like in Merewether with it being so close to the ocean. So we are also looking at Kotara, Adamstown, Lambton and surrounding areas...

Hi there,

We've looked at similar areas, trying to get a balance of schools, shops, stuff going on, but also somewhere where the kids will have a bit of freedom to go to the park on their own etc. Has anyone looked as far a field as Warners Bay or Eleebana?

Sandra

Hi Ricky,

We'll be arriving in Newcastle in the New Year too! My husband has been once for a job interview, it rained the whole time and he didn't really get to see much. I've never been so we're pretty much going blind. Please tell me everything you know!!! We also have a large brood of small people needing to be educated somewhere, do you know about schools?

Yours in great anticipation...

Sandra

Hi Sandra,I have been twice once on my own to get to know my family again and we all went (steph the wife and abigail 7 and melisa 5) in march 08 for a month and it was fantastic. It is quite a down to earth place,a bit like my own city of Hull.Dont believe the press Hull is a great place with the friendliest people you will find anywhere.The beaches in Newcastle are fantastic and they have around 6 or seven all merging into one virtually.Each has a cafe with good changing facilities.Another good point is the Ocean Baths that they have there which are free and about the size of a football pitch with a sandy bottom,they are brilliant and have just been renovated.The harbour front is really long and has loads of cafes and bars and restaraunts.It has also gone thru a transformation with apartments being built along the front.Be careful where you buy as there are hotspots such as merewether which is getting ridiculous,my cousins wife has her own estate agency and took me around some of them and one was on the market as a knockdown(meaning knock downand rebuild for 600,000 she wasnt amused when I laughed.I would look at kotara,charlestown,etc anything that skirts Adamstown, merewether,hamilton as these are the most expensive areas.The rush hour lasts 5 to 10 minutes ,you ccan get everywhere on bike within 20 minutes ,every direction feels like it leads to a beach,good shopping centers and because its the second oldest city in NSW it still has its character unlike brisbane and what I would call holiday places,because they are places you would go to on holiday and they dont seem a practical place to live.No offence to anyone just my opinion.They have live bands on the harbour cafe area on a night time agreay rugby league stadium and the soccer team are starting to get good crowds as well.

As regards to the schools I really havent looked into that in great detail but my family say they are all pretty good and their kids went to the main senior school in hamilton and they turned out ok.The beauty about Newcastle is you can drive to Sydney,go upto Port Stephens which is great or down a bit to warners bay another up and coming area.You can be in brisbane in an hour oractually 5 minutes with the time difference,we did that on jetstar and it cost us just over £100 for the four of us.Basically its bang in the centre for everythng plus you have the hunter valley wineries and the blue mountains as well.So get packing and we will see you there.

Regards Rick and the clan

hi, we're off to newcastle this sept.

we're looking to live in the edgeworth / cameron park area. or maybe maryland.

check it out on google-earth.

trying to find info on schools so if anyone has any please share.

our friends live in gosford, central coast and they say all of newcastle is nice.

the only bad press i have heard is that charlestown is a little run down, but how true that is i have truly no idea.

our friends also say that you will not find a better beach than those in newcastle.

we cant wait! :)

Rick, what a great post! I think that's confirmed a lot of what we've been thinking, thankyou! :notworthy:

Mark and Tracey, we've looked at Maryland and Fletcher a bit, lots of fantastic new builds and a couple of nice looking primary schools in Maryland. If you're going in September, you must be sure to let us know any more info!!

glad to be of service.by the way you dont have to get sucked into buying the new home thing. dont forget you want to integrate and the only way you will do that is buying where the aussies live too.so many new estates are being called little britain because we are all trying to live near each other cos we think safety in numbers and we will have instant friends or something.you only have to look at britain with our immigrants to know this does not work.be bold you only get respect from another country by fully integrating.god dont i go on,it must be the wine.see you on the beach.ricky

Archived