Renewing expired UK passport

Bridgeman

Does anyone know how long your UK passport can be expired and still renew it?  My UK passport expires this month and I am concerned about sending it back to the UK with supporting documents as I know there aren't many planes flying.    I would rather wait till after the Coronavirus is over and things are a bit more back to normal (hopefully) .

1 hour ago, Bridgeman said:

Does anyone know how long your UK passport can be expired and still renew it?  My UK passport expires this month and I am concerned about sending it back to the UK with supporting documents as I know there aren't many planes flying.    I would rather wait till after the Coronavirus is over and things are a bit more back to normal (hopefully) .

We renewed my mum’s after a number of years and it was fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Bridgeman said:

Thanks for that,  that's reassuring.  Just hope Brexit doesn't cause all the rules to change now.   Hoping the CV will all be sorted before next January.

Don’t think Brexit will make a difference, or I can’t think why it would! 😬

Corona is going to run for a bit and we might see spikes again prior to a vaccine being available in around 18 months time.

Hopefully life will settle down a bit in a few months........

But in terms of the passport my mums had been expired for probably 5 years. As long as you have the expired passport to send them it’s fine. It was also very quick and we did our own picture at home and sent it electronically. Very user friendly!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They only have two different paths for applying for an adult passport. It's either your first adult passport or it's a renewal - so there can't be any time limit on it being a renewal because it's not your first passport if you once had one of those big blue ones.

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

It can’t be expired indefinitely. Think it is about 5 years for a straightforward renewal application. 

That’s right. My sister needed a passport about 18 months ago and her existing one had expired many years ago. She had to start from fresh, they needed her birth certificate and parents details. She even had her old passport but still it was a whole new application. 

• Like 1