Working Holiday advice

ollieclaco

Hi everyone,

First post for me on here, so go easy!

I arrive in Australia from the UK at the end of October to start my working holiday visa and i'm currently debating over and over in my head the best way to go about this. I plan on staying for the year so I have a fair bit of time however I was just looking for some advice as to what you reckon is the best way to do a working holiday visa from experience. 

Initially I have been thinking about doing the travelling part first, I fly to Sydney and was thinking of spending a few weeks there first then heading up the east coast. From past experiences of travelling I tend to like going to new places and judging them there and then and if I like the place/hostel/area I will stay or if i dislike i would move on. 

Or should I get to Oz and look to find work more or less straightaway?

I'll be 29 when I arrive in Oz, so not looking for the whole party scene up till 3am everyday but I do like to have a good time aswell. 

Also accommodation in Sydney, would it be sensible to book the first few weeks straight away?

Sorry if these questions have been asked in previous posts, but there doesn't seem to be any recent ones. 

Thanks!

Ollie

Sydney is by far the most expensive city in Australia for accommodation.    Backpackers like it because of the party scene, but otherwise it's just a big city.  You can see all the sights in a week (the beaches look great to a new arrival, but they're ordinary compared to beaches further up the coast!).   So, if you want your money to stretch, I'd plan a fortnight maximum in Sydney and then get travelling (and yes, I'd book in advance as the affordable places book out quickly). 

• Like 2

My niece is coming to the end of her 2nd year WHV - has travelled all over (loves WA and probably spent most time in  that state).  She'd been doing bar work for a couple of months then moving on travelling.  She started off in Sydney for about 3 weeks.  

On 07/03/2020 at 14:51, ali said:

My niece is coming to the end of her 2nd year WHV - has travelled all over (loves WA and probably spent most time in  that state).  She'd been doing bar work for a couple of months then moving on travelling.  She started off in Sydney for about 3 weeks.  

We spent all of December and January 2019 staying with family in WA, near Dunsborough. That South West Corner of WA is abuzz with restaurants, bars, wineries and also boutique breweries everywhere. Lots of Brits, Europeans, Kiwis and Americans working in the service industry. The beaches there are magnificent.

• Like 1