Visa 189 with 75 points and no work experience??

Hello everyone!
I am interested in applying for the Skilled Independent Visa (189).
I currently score 75 points and my occupation (Musician - Instrumental) is on the list of occupations. I have a couple of questions regarding this visa:

1. Are 75 points enough? I know recent rounds have accepted people with 90+ points only, but I know that it can be different based on the occupation. However, my occupation wasn't on the list of recently accepted, so I can't check.

2. My occupation is on the main list, but not in the list of recently accepted. Does that mean no one with my skills set has applied?

3. How do I check the level of demand for a specific occupation?

4. I have been in education all my life. I only ever had a year off for work, which wasn't skill related. I am about to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree and spend another year working before applying (probably not going to be skill related either.....) I currently have more than 65 points even without work experience, but I'm afraid it's still going to affect my chances. Is it going to? 

Thanks in advance for any replies! 

@aangelaa, where is your occupation "not listed"?    I checked a couple of sites and 'm not sure Musician is even eligible for a 189 visa. 

Even if it is, you don't stand a snowball's chance with 75 points.   The 189 is a competition, not an orderly queue.  The people with the most points get selected.  For some time now, there have been so many applicants with 85+ points, they haven't needed to look at anyone with lower scores.  

You would stand a much better chance of applying for a state sponsored visa (a 190 or a 491) because the states are more flexible about points.  However, you need to check each state's criteria as they often have extra requirements.  

Your best bet would be to book a consultation with a MARA registered agent.  The reputable ones will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

@aangelaa, where is your occupation "not listed"?    I checked a couple of sites and 'm not sure Musician is even eligible for a 189 visa. 

Even if it is, you don't stand a snowball's chance with 75 points.   The 189 is a competition, not an orderly queue.  The people with the most points get selected.  For some time now, there have been so many applicants with 85+ points, they haven't needed to look at anyone with lower scores.  

You would stand a much better chance of applying for a state sponsored visa (a 190 or a 491) because the states are more flexible about points.  However, you need to check each state's criteria as they often have extra requirements.  

Your best bet would be to book a consultation with a MARA registered agent.  The reputable ones will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

I checked on the gov website and the occupation is listed as Musician (Instrumental).
I also meant that in the 'invitation rounds' page, there was no category for my type of work listed from previous invitation rounds. However, when I checked the 'occupational ceiling' page, my occupation IS listed there, but sadly there hasn't been any invitations, so that's probably why.
I even checked previous years and it seemed like no one ever got invited for that occupation. I don't know if that means no one is applying, or that I have no chance whatsoever to get the visa. [link here for the page I'm referring to].

I will definitely look into a MARA agent, thank you for the suggestion! 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Here's a list of occupations and Musician (Instrumental) falls under the list for visa 189. link
Unless I'm reading it wrong 😅  

1 hour ago, aangelaa said:

I even checked previous years and it seemed like no one ever got invited for that occupation. I don't know if that means no one is applying, or that I have no chance whatsoever to get the visa. 

One possibility is that no one in that occupation was able to reach the points required (they've been very high for quite a long time now).