Brisbane suburb for a pre-move re

kiwi_sparkles

We are looking at relocating to either Auckland (I'm a kiwi, although lived in London since 1999) or Brisbane.

I've not been back to Brisbane since I was 16.  My husband (British) has never been. 

We are planning on heading over for a weeks reccie and to see if we can envisage living there.  Will be looking at having a relocation agent take us tour while we are there. 

Can anyone recommend a suburb to stay in for our trip?  We are in our 40s, and want somewhere close-ish to the CBD, with cafes and restaurants.  Not fussed about nightlife as such, but we do love a good brunch!  

My husband is a Londoner through and through, so it needs to be fairly lively so that he doesn't get withdrawal symptoms the minute we touch down.

Based on my own research, I'm thinking West End, Paddington or Bulimba.  

Is there anywhere else worth checking out?

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, BobHatton said:

Do you mean motels? There's a string of them along Kingsford Smith Drive and these are only a 5-10 minute drive to New Farm/Fortitude Valley...

Wouldn’t recommend Kingsford Smith Drive with the long term roadworks and there are no restaurants or cafes within walking distance.

No motels. I've nothing against them (we use them a lot when we do US road trips, and in NZ) , but for this trip, given importance of the visit, I want to stay somewhere extra nice.

So it'll either be a hotel, or an apartment.  If we end up in New Farm or West End then hopefully somewhere with a river view!

Yeah that's why I also mentioned an apartment.

However it's more about checking out the different suburbs, seeing what areas we think we'd like best.  Because even staying in an apartment won't really be like living there.... as it's all just fun when you're on holiday.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Csc1980 said:

How about south Brisbane such like Greenbank area? My concern is low crime rate, good schools, and jobs. Thanks

Thanks!

Just had to look that area up as I've not heard of it and I think it may be a little bit too far from the CBD.  I'm keen for low crime area (there's no kids so school's aren't an issue) but ideally it would be walking distance, or no more than 15-20 mins by train/river, to the city.  Not sure how crime in Brisbane compares to central London, but I suspect (although may well be wrong!) that Brisbane is a bit safer therefore being closer to CBD should be OK..... famous last words! 

• Like 1