Car Insurance

North to South

1 hour ago, North to South said:

Hi,

Appreciate some advice on how car insurance works for newbies and whether they take into account any no claims bonus/driving history from the UK or whether you are starting from scratch again.

Thanks 🙂

Some will, some won't. And that applies to your no claims and driving offences.

We used Suncorp when we moved here years ago and they accepted the UK no claims bonus. 

Its is legal (but not wise) to drive a vehicle if it has 'Rego',  a bit like UK road tax but with a CTP (Compulsory Third Party insurance) included. You can then choose what cover you want on top of this, like in the UK, fully comp, 3rd party etc. 

Cal x

I don’t think it’s a whole of industry thing here as it appeared to be in the U.K. Each insurer works differently.
My no claims from the U.K. was recognised by Suncorp when I moved to Australia.
I then switched companies to one who didn’t ask for proof of my driver rating at all!
Just recently switched provider again on getting a new car and they only wanted a statement from my last insurer saying I’d had no accidents.
I queried it because my last insurer could only list 2 years worth of info, but I was claiming top driver rating of 6+ years....they said it was fine! [emoji2372]

Guest The Pom Queen

When we first moved out here we contacted numerous insurance companies they all said they recognised our NCB and in the end we went with AAMI. They never asked to see it and it was many years later until we needed to claim. If we had to claim that first year I do wonder if they would have contacted the UK insurers.

Each state works different but an example is in Qld you buy a car and it needs to have rego (similar to UK road tax). The rego automatically gives you a third party insurance. So if you go out and crash in to a BMW and the driver ends up with a broken collar bone all his hospital costs will be covered. However, you will still be liable to pay for his damages on the BMW. So that’s when your insurance options start coming in.

3rd Party

3rd Party Fire and Theft

Fully Comp