Can't believe it!

hollygolucky

Hello folks,

I'm a doctor, and I have a brother in Sydney. I've visited him twice now, most recently over Xmas. I decided I would try and apply for a job on my return, thinking I would never get anything in Sydney.

Well... I've been offered a position. To start in May! The employer has said they "manage the process of getting you a visa and registration" but can I really expect it to be as quick as three months??

I will be sent my contract next week. There's fifteen possible locations where I could be working, 12 of which are in northern sydney. Then there's three other rural locations - Orange, Broken Hill, and and Dubbo.

I am so ready for a change in life that I've thought I'd accept the offer even if they give me a rural location. I'm not sure if I'm being rash though!

Thanks for reading this ranting post :)

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

Yes, it can be quick, because it's a temporary visa (a 482).   I have no idea how registration works - I'd have thought that would take longer, but if the employer has done it before, I assume they know what they're doing.

It is only temporary, for 2 to 4 years, but the contract can be renewed.  

I'm sure your brother will tell you that Sydney is a very expensive place to live due to the extortionate price of housing (to rent or buy).  From the places you mention, I would pick Orange like a shot.  It's a lovely country town which has become a real "foodie" destination.  Sydneysiders head up there on weekends to visit the wineries, so I'm sure your brother would be pleased to see you settled there - free board for him!      

Dubbo and Broken Hill are more challenging - very hot, very dusty, and a long way from anywhere. If it's just two years then it would be worth it for the experience.

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, it can be quick, because it's a temporary visa (a 482).   I have no idea how registration works - I'd have thought that would take longer, but if the employer has done it before, I assume they know what they're doing.

I'm sure your brother will tell you that Sydney is a very expensive place to live due to the extortionate price of housing (to rent or buy).  From the places you mention, I would pick Orange like a shot.  It's a lovely country town which has become a real "foodie" destination.  Sydneysiders head up there on weekends to visit the wineries, so I'm sure your brother would be pleased to see you settled there - free board for him!      

Dubbo and Broken Hill are more challenging - very hot, very dusty, and a long way from anywhere. If it's just two years then it would be worth it for the experience.

I would too.

On 14/02/2020 at 23:42, Marisawright said:

I agree Sydney is expensive but the person asking is a Doctor so I imagine the cost won't be as much of a limiting factor as it usually is

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 15/02/2020 at 09:40, hollygolucky said:

I will be sent my contract next week. There's fifteen possible locations where I could be working, 12 of which are in northern sydney. Then there's three other rural locations - Orange, Broken Hill, and and Dubbo.

Hi

How exciting for you 🙂 and wow that visa was quick

I hope it all went ahead for you after all, and Covid did not ruin your plans.

I agree with everyone else. Certainly Orange is the place to go. An up and coming foodie destination with some great local wineries, if you like that sort of thing. Plus Orange is an easy drive to Sydney

Personally I would avoid Broken Hill and Dubbo, as they are a bit rough and ready. They are both also a long way from anywhere. But hey as a doctor you may like that sort of challenge!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2020 at 09:40, hollygolucky said:

Hello folks,

I'm a doctor, and I have a brother in Sydney. I've visited him twice now, most recently over Xmas. I decided I would try and apply for a job on my return, thinking I would never get anything in Sydney.

Well... I've been offered a position. To start in May! The employer has said they "manage the process of getting you a visa and registration" but can I really expect it to be as quick as three months??

I am so ready for a change in life that I've thought I'd accept the offer even if they give me a rural location. I'm not sure if I'm being rash though!

Thanks for reading this ranting post 🙂

Take Orange if offered