Diabetes Type 2 - Medical - Pass / Fail?

JL2008

Hello People...

Hope someone can advise here...

Regarding the medical for parental visas - Is Type 2 Diabetes (Insulin injections required) an automatic fail? Can you pass the medical with this condition?

Just weighing up the situation and considering if it is worth going through the application process or simply a waste of time?

Cheers

JL

4 hours ago, JL2008 said:

Hello People...

Hope someone can advise here...

Regarding the medical for parental visas - Is Type 2 Diabetes (Insulin injections required) an automatic fail? Can you pass the medical with this condition?

Just weighing up the situation and considering if it is worth going through the application process or simply a waste of time?

Cheers

JL

I’ve read many times on here that people with diabetes get their visas so I don’t think it’s an automatic fail. The thing is it’s almost not worth worrying about at this stage as if you apply now it will be many years before you have to do the medical and by that time immigration rules could have tightened up or changed and your condition may have changed/worsened not to mention you may by then have other medical issues. What parent visa are you thinking of? If it’s the 143 and you apply now it’s likely to be a good 7 years before you will do the medical.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 08:39, wrussell said:

Please take professional advice about the range of possibilities from a registered migration agent, before you commit to a course of action.

Thanks wrussel. So what would your advice on this question be then? Would you mind sharing your opinion on this with the forum?

Cheers

JL

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:04, Tulip1 said:

I’ve read many times on here that people with diabetes get their visas so I don’t think it’s an automatic fail. The thing is it’s almost not worth worrying about at this stage as if you apply now it will be many years before you have to do the medical and by that time immigration rules could have tightened up or changed and your condition may have changed/worsened not to mention you may by then have other medical issues. What parent visa are you thinking of? If it’s the 143 and you apply now it’s likely to be a good 7 years before you will do the medical.

Thanks Tulip1. Good advice. Onshore application. Do you have any ideas of the waiting times for those now?

8 minutes ago, JL2008 said:

Thanks wrussel. So what would your advice on this question be then? Would you mind sharing your opinion on this with the forum?

Cheers

JL

I do not offer advice about cases I have not assessed. If you want me to have a look at your case, please go to my website pinoyau.com and use the contact form.

14 hours ago, wrussell said:

I do not offer advice about cases I have not assessed. If you want me to have a look at your case, please go to my website pinoyau.com and use the contact form.

That's ok wrussell. I don't think I need a case assessment really. I was just asking for advice concerning my question - which is pretty straightforward. I've no doubt your advice about ranges of options is pretty good though.

As you're an experienced migration agent, I'm sure you would have dealt with a few clients that had diabetes? Did any of them fail the medical based on that condition?

Thanks

JL

I have never had a finalised parent visa refused for diabetes, or any other reason.

I  have, in some cases,  made substantial submissions in cases where DIY applicants were refused visas.

What might have happened in another case should not be relied upon. Cases are assessed on the relevant merits.

If a parent  visa is refused for medical reasons, this is not fatal to a further long-stay application. This is one of the reasons for which I suggest that prospective applicants seek professional advice.

22 hours ago, JL2008 said:

Thanks Tulip1. Good advice. Onshore application. Do you have any ideas of the waiting times for those now?

It has to be a guesstimate.  The official waiting time on the Immigration website is for the claims being processed now, which were lodged in 2015/early 2016.   There was a huge influx of applications in 2016 which blew out the queue, and they have not speeded up processing to allow for that.  However, a reasonable estimate would be 7 or 8 years.

In light of that, it's impossible to say whether your parent would pass the final medical or not, since for an older person, 7 or 8 years is a long time.   As a 65+ year old, I hate to admit it, but statistics show that for the average person, the effects of aging accelerate after 60 and a healthy 65-year-old may not be a healthy 73-year-old.

For that reason, if you are contemplating an on-shore application with a parent who's already not in the best of health, it's wise to have a Plan B by keeping their UK home and renting it out, so they can return to the UK with less trauma if the visa is ultimately refused.

Edited by Marisawright

That's ok wrussell. I don't think I need a case assessment really.

Yes you do! (unless you undertake considerably more homework)

An opinion about a medical matter that has not been thoroughly assessed could be counter productive.

and

Depending  on how a case develops there are  fall-back strategies that might be adopted.  

I shall now leave it up to someone else to assess your case, if you change your mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wrussell said:

Yes you do! (unless you undertake considerably more homework)

An opinion about a medical matter that has not been thoroughly assessed could be counter productive.

and

Depending  on how a case develops there are  fall-back strategies that might be adopted.  

I shall now leave it up to someone else to assess your case, if you change your mind.

I don't understand why they wouldn't want an assessment.

Yes the entire submission from start to end if handled by an agent will incur £2k+ in professional fees but the initial "do we stand a chance" conversation will be just a few pounds/dollars and in some cases even free.

Surely it's worth the price of a mediocre night out in the pub to gain some clarity on the potential ways to proceed.

I can understand why people may not want to commit to thousands of pounds in agent fees (although I found it worth every penny and more) but to not take any at all seems counter productive

• Like 1