Primary Teacher Advice Needed

Hockers

Hi all,

I am a primary teacher with over 10 years experience, I am trying to move out to WA to be nearer my sister who has permanent residency in Perth. I believe my only option is a sponsored work visa, my question is, are there any schools that would be willing to employ and sponsor me to do this? Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this? Or if you think there is another visa that I could be eligible for I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide. 

It would be worth having a consultation with a migration agent. If they're reputable, they'll give you an initial consultation free of charge.  

If you mean an employer-sponsored visa, that is just a temporary visa for 2 or 4 years, then you have to go home again - which doesn't sound like what you want.   I doubt that any school would be willing to sponsor you as there are enough primary teachers in Australia already.  

14 hours ago, Hockers said:

Hi all,

I am a primary teacher with over 10 years experience, I am trying to move out to WA to be nearer my sister who has permanent residency in Perth. I believe my only option is a sponsored work visa, my question is, are there any schools that would be willing to employ and sponsor me to do this? Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this? Or if you think there is another visa that I could be eligible for I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I’m a primary and early years teacher currently waiting on my visa. I am using a registered migration agent called Smith-Jones Migration and would highly recommend her. When I initially got in touch she gave me a free consultation and realistic expectations of my chances for the different visa options. 

On 01/01/2020 at 16:04, JRC said:

I’m a primary and early years teacher currently waiting on my visa. I am using a registered migration agent called Smith-Jones Migration and would highly recommend her. When I initially got in touch she gave me a free consultation and realistic expectations of my chances for the different visa options. 

How did you get qualification on primary and early years?

My wife is a primary teacher and whilst her PGDE qualification qualifies her to teach early education and primary the AITSL only recognise a stand alone qualification for early years as opposed to a Primary PGDE which qualifies you to do both here.

On 01/01/2020 at 01:26, Hockers said:

Hi all,

I made a list of teacher options for all states when I started this process. Unfortunately your options for WA are exceptionally limited. 

The state sponsored 190 and state sponsored provisional 491 aren't options as the occupation is not on either list for offshore applicants. The only option is a 190 but for that you must have studied in WA and it's classed as "graduate stream only" - i.e. an international student who completed teacher education in WA.

A state regional employer sponsored 494 would be your only option, however, these are near impossible to get for teachers. You can only get a 494 if the employer can complete a labour market test and prove that they cannot fill the vacancy from the skilled individuals within the state already. Thus they are then permitted to recruit internationally Andy appoint a candidate to sponsor over. This happens rarely to never for teachers, especially in a state where they don't have the occupation on any of their skill shortage lists.

Primary Teacher isn't on the golden ticket 189 visa so you're out of luck for that one.

Your best option would be going on a 190 or a 491 to another state, staying there for the time required to activate permanent residency to Australia and then moving where you wish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

How did you get qualification on primary and early years?

My wife is a primary teacher and whilst her PGDE qualification qualifies her to teach early education and primary the AITSL only recognise a stand alone qualification for early years as opposed to a Primary PGDE which qualifies you to do both here.

I did a BA Primary Education (QTS) which allows me to teacher primary and early years in the uk and then returned to study a PGCE in Early Years Education (EYTS) for a year. With the early years PGCE I had to do placements with children aged from birth to 7 years which therefore allowed me to apply for our 489 as an early childhood teacher. I also had to provide evidence that I had been working with the age appropriate children to be classed as an early childhood teacher. The frustrating part is that they dismissed the six years experience prior to the PGCE but I did have the minimum requirement for state sponsorship with SA. 

Edited by JRC

My Mrs is qualified to teach primary which is age 3 - 11 - what the Aussie’s term early years and primary. 

She had Primary 2 last year (age 6) and has Primary 1 (age 4-5) this year but the qualification must be in Early Years and as such as degree plus PGDE is no use. Whilst she is qualified the Aussies disagree. 

2 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

My Mrs is qualified to teach primary which is age 3 - 11 - what the Aussie’s term early years and primary. 

She had Primary 2 last year (age 6) and has Primary 1 (age 4-5) this year but the qualification must be in Early Years and as such as degree plus PGDE is no use. Whilst she is qualified the Aussies disagree. 

I think it’s purely based on the fact that my qualification was based from birth that I managed to qualify as the early childhood teacher and is specifically just as an early years teacher for t he PGCE. It is all a very frustrating process. In Australia early years education is from birth to 7 years. In England it’s birth to 5 years. I undertook placements across both qualifications with children from 6 weeks up to 11 years and obviously surpassed the minimum days AITSL require. I have undertook paid work with children aged from 2 to 7 years on  permanent contracts as well as worked with children aged from 4-11 in supply when I first qualified as a teacher.  

It seems more and more difficult for uk teachers to gain skilled work visas. When I first got in touch with our MA she was wanting me to apply as a primary teacher but because I haven’t worked in Key Stage 2 on a long term basis then I’ve never had to teach a foreign language since qualifying so therefore wouldn’t have been eligible. Even though my original degree is in primary education  and I spent the whole three years learning how to be a primary school teacher as opposed to three years doing any old degree and then one year learning to be a teacher. The aus requirements just don’t seem to line up with the uk. 

No the requirements certainly don’t seem to line up. The requirement is 45 days experience in early years or indeed anything. It’s 45 days for secondary as well. Both having PGDEs we both did 90 days teaching practice. For me it was all secondary, for the primary my wife did 45 days between a nursery and lower school (age 3-7) and 45 days in the upper primary school (age 8-11).

But to the AITSL that’s an irrelevance. 

They started to get clamp down on it because heaps of primary teachers started getting assessed as early childhood teachers for a visa with no intention of ever entering the field when landing in Australia. Visa and teacher registration are completely different so you can revert to normal once in Australia. 

You used to be able to get the Uni to write a letter saying 45 days ages 3-7 and that would be OK. These days the qualification has to say early years in the title. 

90% of early years vacancies in Australia are in long daycare and nobody wants to work there. Poor hours, poor work/ life balance and usually poor pay by comparison.

• Like 1

Hi 

we are in the process of applying but my partner being the main applicant as electrician, how realistic am I being going out there to WA as a primary teacher with 10 years in early years gaining employment? I’ve looked on indeed and seek and there seems to be a few jobs in the childcare centres ? 

many thanks