Will a visit spent activating my visa count towards my 2 year residence visa condition for state sponsorship in SA

lynney45

Hi, i have a 489 state sponsored visa for South Australia. 

I am planning on activating the visa for a 6 week trip then returning back to the UK as i have some minor health issues i need to resolve via the NHS in the UK prior to emigrating officially 1 year later.  Can someone please advise whether this 6 weeks visit would constitute towards my 2 year resident requirement?  The requirement is that i must reside in south australia for 2 years. 

I will be staying in Airbnb’s in Adelaide during this total 6 week period.  If i keep the invoices for the accommodation will i be able to count these 6 weeks towards my visa condition requiring me to live in Adelaide for 2 years before applying for 887 PR visa?  

In other words can i count this 6 week visit in Adelaide towards my visa requirement?  So that when i do officially emigrate i will only need to live there for a further 1 year 10.5 months (less the 6 weeks that i spent there during the 6 week visit?)

Many thanks in advance for any advice 🙂

46 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I wouldn't have thought that would count no. You're not residing in the country, just visiting.

For the sake or 6 weeks it's not really worth the hassle and risk. Just apply for the 887 6 weeks later than you planned.

Also remember it will be more than 2 years before you can leave SA - you can apply for the PR visa after you complete the 2 year condition, but you are still bound by the 489 conditions until you get the full PR visa - that means staying and working in SA until you get the PR visa (unless you can get a letter of release from SA) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynney45 said:

Hi, i have a 489 state sponsored visa for South Australia. 

I am planning on activating the visa for a 6 week trip then returning back to the UK as i have some minor health issues i need to resolve via the NHS in the UK prior to emigrating officially 1 year later.  Can someone please advise whether this 6 weeks visit would constitute towards my 2 year resident requirement?  The requirement is that i must reside in south australia for 2 years. 

I will be staying in Airbnb’s in Adelaide during this total 6 week period.  If i keep the invoices for the accommodation will i be able to count these 6 weeks towards my visa condition requiring me to live in Adelaide for 2 years before applying for 887 PR visa?  

In other words can i count this 6 week visit in Adelaide towards my visa requirement?  So that when i do officially emigrate i will only need to live there for a further 1 year 10.5 months (less the 6 weeks that i spent there during the 6 week visit?)

Many thanks in advance for any advice 🙂

Where do you want to move to? Why didn't you just get a visa for there instead it would have been less hassle surely?

49 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Where do you want to move to? Why didn't you just get a visa for there instead it would have been less hassle surely?

Probably because the state they want to live in wouldn’t sponsor them. Happens a lot, that’s why they’ve made the 491 tougher. The states got fed up of sponsoring people who buggered off as soon as they’d done their time

• Thanks 1