British Passport expires

tony1971

Hi 

We are due to emigrate to Australia in March, we are all Permanent Residents.  Both my sons UK Passports expire in June 2020, will Australia immigration at Heathrow airport let me board the plane as I read they need at least six months on their UK passports to enter Australia?

Thanks

51 minutes ago, tony1971 said:

Hi 

We are due to emigrate to Australia in March, we are all Permanent Residents.  Both my sons UK Passports expire in June 2020, will Australia immigration at Heathrow airport let me board the plane as I read they need at least six months on their UK passports to enter Australia?

Thanks

I would suggest that you renew the passports now to save yourself a lot of future pain, hassle & stress !

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tony1971 said:

Hi 

Thanks

It will be at their discretion, but given all the other hassles you'll be dealing with on migration day, why not just renew now and then you've got 5/10 years not to have to think about renewing their passports

Until you become citizens they'll need a UK passport to leave Australia and it isn't possible to get a 24 hour UK passport in Australia if you need to come home to the UK in an emergency (it technically might be possible but it won't be cheap)

55 minutes ago, tony1971 said:

Hi 

Thanks

Australia doesn't insist n 6 months, but many countries en route do, so if you plan a stopover in Singapore, for instance, you will need 6 months.

They will need passports for ID for lots of things in Australia too, not to mention if they want to leave for a holiday, so do everyone a favour and renew them before you leave the UK. Much easier in the long run and you have plenty of time to do it.

Hi 

Thanks for your replies, we won't have any stopover en route.  Problem is If I need to get new UK passports that will take until end of January 2020, then I will have to fill out the form to change their current visa details to their new UK passports.  I am wondering if Australia immigration London will be able to change their new passport details with thier PR visa.  Does anybody know if it's a quick or slow process for Australia immigration in london ?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, tony1971 said:

Hi 

Thanks for your replies, we won't have any stopover en route.  Problem is If I need to get new UK passports that will take until end of January 2020, then I will have to fill out the form to change their current visa details to their new UK passports.  I am wondering if Australia immigration London will be able to change their new passport details with thier PR visa.  Does anybody know if it's a quick or slow process for Australia immigration in london ?

Thanks

Hi tony1971, new passports should be issued quicker than that I would have thought ? I renewed mine from over in Australia and it only took eight working days so a pretty fast turn a round.

Despite another form to complete, I still think this would be so much easier to deal with whilst you are still in the UK. 
I wish you well with your move, enjoy.

1 hour ago, tony1971 said:

Sorry, forgot to mention they will fly out beginning of March 2020 maybe left it a bit late

Thanks

That is loads of time, a new passport will only take a week or so in the UK. Even from oz they only take 2-3 weeks!

When you have the new passports you just log into your Immiaccount and upload the details.  Carry both passports when travelling to be on the safe side, but hnesty the change of visa to the new passport should only take a day or so.