Citizenship interview / test original documents?

Matt68

Hi I am a perm res. Originally came over from UK on an e-visa for study in 2009. Studied  and graduated 2014. Worked for last 5 years as AHPRA regulated clinician. Used a migration lawyer around 2016 for PR - application uploaded. Received PR in Jan 2018.

March 2019 used same lawyer for citizenship app this year. Application uploaded. Have interview and test in two weeks. Just noticed the interview / test letter lists docs for the interview 

I Do have passport, birth cert, proof of residence and military records.

I Dont have the original application and documents that were uploaded. I just thought once uploaded By a lawyer  I wouldn’t need them. I can print off the application and docs the lawyer submitted. I could write a statement on a stat dec and have it stamped. Could this be an issue?

Sent an email to the lawyer last night.

I suppose worst case I have to start all over again. Admittedly this is my fault absolutely. Frustrating though. I just assumed that if a lawyer uploads, and as a lawyer is an “officer of the law”,  then I wouldn’t need to keep the documents. I can show them the email from the lawyer with the documents that were uploaded. 

Hi Matt68, guys,

I want to understand what you are saying accurately hence want to ask the below question:

"I Dont have the original application and documents that were uploaded."

Could you please clarify what you mean by original application ? I am confused what you are asking about ? Is it the original citizenship application ? 

-"and documents that were uploaded"  - do you mean the original documents that were uploaded for the citizenship application ? If so, I would presume you would have them with you correct ? If so, what is the concern on this ? 

7 hours ago, Matt68 said:

Hi I am a perm res. Originally came over from UK on an e-visa for study in 2009. Studied  and graduated 2014. Worked for last 5 years as AHPRA regulated clinician. Used a migration lawyer around 2016 for PR - application uploaded. Received PR in Jan 2018.

March 2019 used same lawyer for citizenship app this year. Application uploaded. Have interview and test in two weeks. Just noticed the interview / test letter lists docs for the interview 

I Do have passport, birth cert, proof of residence and military records.

I Dont have the original application and documents that were uploaded. I just thought once uploaded By a lawyer  I wouldn’t need them. I can print off the application and docs the lawyer submitted. I could write a statement on a stat dec and have it stamped. Could this be an issue?

Any docs that you or the lawyer uploaded would have been certified copy, these same copy must be taken with you on the day of the citizenship interview test, I done mine a few weeks ago and many people had been turned away due to not having the docs with them, i here them say they had been uploaded and still told they need o see them again on the day inc proof of ID

Hi thanks for asking.

I completed and signed the Citizenship application form 1195 this was uploaded. I don’t physically have the original completed paper copy because I assumed once it was uploaded I wouldn’t need it. I would not be able to show the original signed 1195 form  at the interview as there is only the uploaded version. My lawyer has sent me an email and attached is the PDF uploaded scan of the 1195 I can print this off but it’s not the original 

I don’t physically have the original head / face shot photo which was uploaded. I would not be able to show the original photo  at the interview as there is only the uploaded scans. My lawyer sent me the colour scan of the photo I can print this off but it’s not the actual original photo.

I do physically have my birth certificate with parents’ details. This was was copied and certified as a copy then uploaded but I don’t have the certified copy that was uploaded 

I uploaded scans of my passports (one new and one expired). I do have my passports 

I uploaded scan of my driving licence which was used as in proof of address. I Do physically have the driving licence

I do have my military records 

Cheers

Matt 

Edited by Matt68

I agree.  The reason for my post is because I don’t have certified copies of the documents mentioned and wondering if anyone had similar experiences. I will try to see my lawyer today. Worst case I have to start again. Inconvenient but not the end of the world 

So you have the original birth certificate, correct? Certified documents are no longer required for online citizenship apps, so they're not going to be checking for a certified copy in person, they need the original.

I've very recently sat my interview (VIC - Melbourne CBD office) and i might be able to bring some comfort here -

I took absolutely everything on my app, plus extra proof of address which i had lying around.

What i was asked for:

- Passport
- Birth cert
- Driving license (for address)

What i was NOT asked for:

- Original Form 1195 and photo (i offered but was told "we've got the scan here, it's fine")
- Other proof of address docs uploaded on my application
- Evidence of arrival docs uploaded on my application

It's not to say this will be the same across the board, but i was surprised after the instruction on the letter how little they actually wanted.

Just take everything you've got available, wait to be asked for each thing rather than trying to explain or offer alternatives, and there's a good chance you'll have everything required IMO.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by millski88

3 hours ago, Matt68 said:

Hi Rammygirl

When you say “take the originals” do you mean just take my actual passport, my actual birth certificate, my actual  driving licence etc? 

Cheers

Yes. You don’t need certified copies if you have originals. They want to see original documents.