Movecube Bonus Items

Freo81

It's Movecube day for us on Friday! We're all packed and itemised, but have had to go with a medium instead of a small as it's too close to call. This now means that we will have some space in the cube.

What tips do people have about items to stockpile that are particularly expensive in Oz? I recall reading a thread about nappies a while ago but we won't be needing those (yet).

Anything else like this that people can advise so we can make as much use of the space as possible?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Freo81 said:

It's Movecube day for us on Friday! We're all packed and itemised, but have had to go with a medium instead of a small as it's too close to call. This now means that we will have some space in the cube.

What tips do people have about items to stockpile that are particularly expensive in Oz? I recall reading a thread about nappies a while ago but we won't be needing those (yet).

Anything else like this that people can advise so we can make as much use of the space as possible?

Thanks!

Interesting! How much stuff are you taking? We are dithering between a large or a medium and have done a 3 dimensional mock up in the hall! We've not packed boxes yet so I guess we do need to do that. Only thing I'm stockpiling is yarn to feed my yarn addiction habit though where the hell in going to put it when I get there is anyone's guess. How much notice did you have to give the Movecubers?

6 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Interesting! How much stuff are you taking? We are dithering between a large or a medium and have done a 3 dimensional mock up in the hall! We've not packed boxes yet so I guess we do need to do that. Only thing I'm stockpiling is yarn to feed my yarn addiction habit though where the hell in going to put it when I get there is anyone's guess. How much notice did you have to give the Movecubers?

We booked it around a month ago and changed the size of the box this week. I think you have to give the a weeks notice, but you can change from small to medium on the day. We did a mock up in our spare room but it was very close so thought we'd just pay the extra to avoid mega-stress on the day if things wont go in. 

We are taking mainly small items in boxes (around 14 of them) and then some bigger stuff like guitars, amps etc. Loads of vacuum packed clothes! No furniture, No big telly or bikes or anything.

The boxing and itemising was a very long process for us so beware of that!

1 hour ago, Freo81 said:

Thanks!

Towels and pillows.

We actually think the UK is expensive for most things compared to Australia,  except cholcoate.

1 hour ago, Freo81 said:

We booked it around a month ago and changed the size of the box this week. I think you have to give the a weeks notice, but you can change from small to medium on the day. We did a mock up in our spare room but it was very close so thought we'd just pay the extra to avoid mega-stress on the day if things wont go in. 

We are taking mainly small items in boxes (around 14 of them) and then some bigger stuff like guitars, amps etc. Loads of vacuum packed clothes! No furniture, No big telly or bikes or anything.

The boxing and itemising was a very long process for us so beware of that!

Thanks for that!  Actually I had forgotten the vacuum packing - there's a load of stuff I can vac pac but my husband's books are going to be the killer LOL. And his bike. Wonder if we could change from medium to large on the day too if we needed to.  Actually, we dont have THAT much stuff I suppose, once it's boxed up, we've only been here 8 years and then just with our backpacks so we cant have accumulated that much, right?!  Edited to say, in response to your original - there wasnt much I would think of stockpiling. 

Edited by Quoll

we had the large, and dont regret it, but then from the sounds of it we took a lot more 'stuff'

Certainly throw in anything that you currently have , but think of buying when you get here.

Any tools (power or hand) would be worth keeping.... as long as they are thoroughly cleaned..

I am gutted i didn't bring my workbench vice and the dyson.

2 hours ago, kevsan said:

we had the large, and dont regret it, but then from the sounds of it we took a lot more 'stuff'

Certainly throw in anything that you currently have , but think of buying when you get here.

Any tools (power or hand) would be worth keeping.... as long as they are thoroughly cleaned..

I am gutted i didn't bring my workbench vice and the dyson.

When you say "a lot more stuff" did you bring furniture and the like? We don't have any (apart from maybe the tumble dryer if it'll fit). My DH is more worried about the weight limit as his stuff - books and tools - weigh  heavy  but the Dyson will definitely be in there!!! There's probably not going to be much difference in price between the medium and the large I guess. 

The other question I was going to ask - how long before leaving did you guys book the move cube? We are in the confused position  of not knowing when we will be leaving other than the protected exchange rate on the house and completion will be?? After that. 

Edited by Quoll

48 minutes ago, Quoll said:

When you say "a lot more stuff" did you bring furniture and the like? We don't have any (apart from maybe the tumble dryer if it'll fit). My DH is more worried about the weight limit as his stuff - books and tools - weigh  heavy  but the Dyson will definitely be in there!!! There's probably not going to be much difference in price between the medium and the large I guess. 

The other question I was going to ask - how long before leaving did you guys book the move cube? We are in the confused position  of not knowing when we will be leaving other than the protected exchange rate on the house and completion will be?? After that. 

It must feel a bit like migrating all over again Quoll.  Probably not so exciting second time around though  ....... especially feeling the way you do about living here.  I do hope it will work out for you one way or another.  Nice holidays elsewhere planned?

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

It must feel a bit like migrating all over again Quoll.  Probably not so exciting second time around though  ....... especially feeling the way you do about living here.  I do hope it will work out for you one way or another.  Nice holidays elsewhere planned?

Nah, finish renovating the house then back here periodically to see dad and the grandson (and son, of course!)

17 hours ago, Quoll said:

Sort of

Large double door fridge freezer, bike, TV, kids toys wrapped up in 2 of those IKEA 2x2 storage (kallax??) units, that was the bulk of the big stuff, plus a toolbox, socket set, drills, boxes of cables, a computer server, plus boxes of crockery, clothes, kitchen appliances - even brought my pizza stones!!

edit - just checked the old spreadsheet, also took a small kitchen table and 4x chairs that we still have...

our movecube day was 17th July, we left the UK on 25th August and it arrived at our aussie house on 23rd Sept.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/175186-movecube-ala-tetris/

Edited by kevsan
updates

6 hours ago, kevsan said:

Sort of

Large double door fridge freezer, bike, TV, kids toys wrapped up in 2 of those IKEA 2x2 storage (kallax??) units, that was the bulk of the big stuff, plus a toolbox, socket set, drills, boxes of cables, a computer server, plus boxes of crockery, clothes, kitchen appliances - even brought my pizza stones!!

edit - just checked the old spreadsheet, also took a small kitchen table and 4x chairs that we still have...

our movecube day was 17th July, we left the UK on 25th August and it arrived at our aussie house on 23rd Sept.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/175186-movecube-ala-tetris/

Thanks! Wow! Wow!!! All that?! Based on that we could probably get away with a small! We've mocked up the space but I guess we won't know until we get things in boxes. I guess we should do that very soon.  

I don't think we will be in a rush to have it all arrive, we've got pretty much a parallel house in Australia and I have a half decent wool stash and DH has a house full of books there!