457 - Can it be extended?

Torque

Hi All, this is my first post. I'm on a 457 visa which expires next year (it was granted in Dec 2018). Can this visa still be extended or I wil have to apply for the new TSS 482 one? My occupation is on the MLTSSL list (not sure if this changes anything).Thanks in advance for any help.

Out of curiosity is the process for renewal more straightforward than that for the first one? Or is it an identical process?

By renewal of course I mean if your 457 is coming to an end and you want to apply for the new tss visa

Does your employer have to go through the nomination process again?
How soon should this process start before expiry of a current 457?

14 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Out of curiosity is the process for renewal more straightforward than that for the first one? Or is it an identical process?

By renewal of course I mean if your 457 is coming to an end and you want to apply for the new tss visa

Does your employer have to go through the nomination process again?
How soon should this process start before expiry of a current 457?

The process will likely be more difficult and involved for the employer than the original 457. Unless exempt, they will need to undertake Labour Market Testing and pay a hefty training levy of anywhere from $2,400 to $7,200.

The employer needs to submit a new nomination and you need to submit a new visa application.  The process for the 482 is more expensive and I honestly would not recommend any employer do it without support from a registered migration agent.  If you submit your visa application before your your 457 has expired, then you will be issued a bridging visa which will allow you to remain (and work) in Australia while the 482 application is processing.

• Thanks 1