You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Torque

457 - Can it be extended?

Hi All, this is my first post. I'm on a 457 visa which expires next year (it was granted in Dec 2018). Can this visa still be extended or I wil have to apply for the new TSS 482 one? My occupation is on the MLTSSL list (not sure if this changes anything).Thanks in advance for any help.

No new subclass 457 visas can be lodged as this visa has been retired. You will need to lodge a subclass 482 visa.

• Thanks 1

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Out of curiosity is the process for renewal more straightforward than that for the first one? Or is it an identical process?

By renewal of course I mean if your 457 is coming to an end and you want to apply for the new tss visa

Does your employer have to go through the nomination process again?
How soon should this process start before expiry of a current 457?

14 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Out of curiosity is the process for renewal more straightforward than that for the first one? Or is it an identical process?

By renewal of course I mean if your 457 is coming to an end and you want to apply for the new tss visa

Does your employer have to go through the nomination process again?
How soon should this process start before expiry of a current 457?

The process will likely be more difficult and involved for the employer than the original 457. Unless exempt, they will need to undertake Labour Market Testing and pay a hefty training levy of anywhere from $2,400 to $7,200.

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

The employer needs to submit a new nomination and you need to submit a new visa application.  The process for the 482 is more expensive and I honestly would not recommend any employer do it without support from a registered migration agent.  If you submit your visa application before your your 457 has expired, then you will be issued a bridging visa which will allow you to remain (and work) in Australia while the 482 application is processing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for all the replies, guys. You've been very helpful.