Health exam cost UK vs Aus - 309 partner visa

Samsamsam

Hi Guys,

Just started looking into the Health Examination element of the 309 partner visa application to prepare our overall budget! According to this website, there are a very limited number of locations in the UK where you can get a recognised medical from a "panel physician". I've phoned the places we could consider going to, and the costs quoted for the medicals are around £270 for the temporary full medical, or £330 for the permanent full medical. Then I've looked on the medmigration website and they list a "medical exam only" option for £175. So my questions are:

1. Which medical is sufficient? I don't know if this answer varies based on the content of your application, or if it's standard based on the visa... also I wasn't sure if the 309 visa, given it's a stepping stone to the 100 visa, is considered temporary and you only therefore need the temporary medical...?
  2. We should meet the criteria to get upgraded immediately from the 309 to the 100 visa (married for 7 years, baby to be born any minute now!) - did anyone have to get a 2nd medical, or just the one was sufficient?
  3. Did any of you get your medical done in Australia (or otherwise overseas)? Or do you HAVE to get it done in the UK? We're going to be in Aus over xmas, and the fees there are significantly cheaper (done by a health provider called Bupa, fees listed here) - $232 AUD for the plain medical only.
  4. Assuming we can do it in Aus, then I'm thinking about uploading this to the application and the timing. We'll have submitted our initial application by mid-end Sep, and we would be doing the medical about 4 months later. Let's say, but some stroke of luck, we get a case officer coming back asking us to get the health check done at the 2-3 month mark. When the case officer asks you to submit your health check, do you need to complete this action within a certain time period e.g. would waiting 1-2 months to submit it cause any issues (besides the obvious fact that I've self inflicted a delay in the process)?

Thanks for your help.

43 minutes ago, Samsamsam said:

Hi Guys,

Just started looking into the Health Examination element of the 309 partner visa application to prepare our overall budget! According to this website, there are a very limited number of locations in the UK where you can get a recognised medical from a "panel physician". I've phoned the places we could consider going to, and the costs quoted for the medicals are around £270 for the temporary full medical, or £330 for the permanent full medical. Then I've looked on the medmigration website and they list a "medical exam only" option for £175. So my questions are:

1. Which medical is sufficient? I don't know if this answer varies based on the content of your application, or if it's standard based on the visa... also I wasn't sure if the 309 visa, given it's a stepping stone to the 100 visa, is considered temporary and you only therefore need the temporary medical...?
  2. We should meet the criteria to get upgraded immediately from the 309 to the 100 visa (married for 7 years, baby to be born any minute now!) - did anyone have to get a 2nd medical, or just the one was sufficient?
  3. Did any of you get your medical done in Australia (or otherwise overseas)? Or do you HAVE to get it done in the UK? We're going to be in Aus over xmas, and the fees there are significantly cheaper (done by a health provider called Bupa, fees listed here) - $232 AUD for the plain medical only.
  4. Assuming we can do it in Aus, then I'm thinking about uploading this to the application and the timing. We'll have submitted our initial application by mid-end Sep, and we would be doing the medical about 4 months later. Let's say, but some stroke of luck, we get a case officer coming back asking us to get the health check done at the 2-3 month mark. When the case officer asks you to submit your health check, do you need to complete this action within a certain time period e.g. would waiting 1-2 months to submit it cause any issues (besides the obvious fact that I've self inflicted a delay in the process)?

Thanks for your help.

1. They will tell you what you need, but for a partner visa, factor everything in: full medical, chest x-ray & HIV.

2. One is enough

3. You can get them done by any panel clinic

4. 28 days is the usual response time - I wouldn't be looking to extend this for the sake of a couple of hundred $ saved on the medical. Not sure how you reached 4 months as the time for a request?

Thanks for the quick response Paulhand,

4. The 4 months is purely based on our circumstances - it is the time difference between when we would be submitting our application vs when we would have the opportunity in Australia to do the medical. I understand many applicants are getting the medical done before being prompted by the case officer - so if we haven’t heard from the case officer by the time we’re in Aus on holidays, I am considering getting the medical done while we’re out there. 

Thanks guys,

Also for anyone studying the health exam topic, I found information clarifying the *basic* health checks that must be completed for the partner 309/100 visa, link here. 

In short, permanent & provisional applicants need to get a health assessment covering: 1) medical exam, 2) chest x-ray, 3) HIV test.

At the time of writing, this would cost you ~£330 in the UK, and $371 AUD in Aus. 

2 hours ago, Samsamsam said:

Thanks guys,

Also for anyone studying the health exam topic, I found information clarifying the *basic* health checks that must be completed for the partner 309/100 visa, link here. 

In short, permanent & provisional applicants need to get a health assessment covering: 1) medical exam, 2) chest x-ray, 3) HIV test.

At the time of writing, this would cost you ~£330 in the UK, and $371 AUD in Aus. 

Costs in the UK can vary as they are set by the individual clinics.