Sponsorship Visa

Captain Ron

I'm pretty sure the cutoff is now 45 for all visas with a few exceptions.  You need to check the exceptions. 

However, visa rules change all the time.  You can guarantee they'll have changed again by the time four years has passed and I'd be willing to bet they would remove the age exceptions. There are so many people wanting to move to Australia, they can easily afford to lower the age limits.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Thanks for your reply.

i was just wondering if im in Australia on an employer sponsored visa and whilst there - can i transition to permanent residency after a period of time? And if so, will the 45 age limit apply?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The age limit for the permanent residency visa is 45.   If you are transitioning from an employer sponsored visa to a permanent visa, there are a few situations where the age limit doesn't apply but they are rare.   Probably by the time you apply in four years, those exceptions will be gone, too, so I wouldn't advise banking on them. 

And yes, your occupation must still be on the skills list at the time of transition.  

27 minutes ago, barry said:

amazing really as it has been 45 for many years even though people live much longer nowadays and do not automatically retire at 65 ! 

True, but Australia wants to maximise the benefit to the country.   The younger people are when they migrate, the more working years they have to contribute to the workforce and to pay taxes.   So naturally, they are more attractive as migrants.    If there are plenty of under-45s eager to migrate (which there are) then there's no need to open up to others.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The age limit for the permanent residency visa is 45.   If you are transitioning from an employer sponsored visa to a permanent visa, there are a few situations where the age limit doesn't apply but they are rare.   Probably by the time you apply in four years, those exceptions will be gone, too, so I wouldn't advise banking on them. 

And yes, your occupation must still be on the skills list at the time of transition.  

Thank you!

5 hours ago, barry said:

amazing really as it has been 45 for many years even though people live much longer nowadays and do not automatically retire at 65 ! 

No, it was 50 until a few years ago. Can’t remember when it changed but it wasn’t that long ago 

Edited by Tulip1