Can I change my UK to QLD licence in 6 weeks as a resident

Kimi Wiggi

I have an unusual problem.....I want a QLD licence but have a UK licence.  I will be in aus for over 6 weeks but under 3 months and I am a resident.  The unusual nature of my request is that when I transferred my QLD licence for the UK one I lost the ability to drive a Motorhome over 3500 kgs.  A QLD licence allows up to 4500 kgs but without knowing I lost that right when I transfered to the UK licence.

Anyone know if I can get my QLD one back in only 6 weeks?

2 hours ago, Kimi Wiggi said:

I have an unusual problem.....I want a QLD licence but have a UK licence.  I will be in aus for over 6 weeks but under 3 months and I am a resident.  The unusual nature of my request is that when I transferred my QLD licence for the UK one I lost the ability to drive a Motorhome over 3500 kgs.  A QLD licence allows up to 4500 kgs but without knowing I lost that right when I transfered to the UK licence.

Anyone know if I can get my QLD one back in only 6 weeks?

If you've previously held a licence can't you just go to the licencing centre to renew it if you're resident?

• 3 weeks later...

Well thats amazing bigfishybob.  However I am still in the UK and shall mainstream here until Dec when I am back in Aus for 5 weeks....all a bit difficult.  I just wanna drive a proper motorhome.  You know to get the licence here is going to cost about £1000!

Are the motorhome people saying you have to get a different licence?  Both Qld Main Roads and NSW Transport and Maine Roads state explicitly on their websites that "If you’re driving in Queensland on an overseas car licence, you may drive vehicles allowed under a Queensland class C licence. This includes vehicles up to 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass that may carry up to 12 people, including the driver."

I'd read into that you can just use your British licence unless you've been told otherwise by the hire people.

Edited by Eera

Well the problem is that I had a QLD licence now I have a UK licence but it reduced my carrying capacity to 3.5 tonne and therefore I lost the ability to drive 'A' class motorhomes which weigh over this amount.  So I am trying to get my QLD licence back when I pop home at Christmas and use it back here in the UK.  As far as I can tell I have to be residing in QLD for 3 months and I am only back home for 6 weeks.  Sigh.

Thank you for your interest.

If you previously held a QLD licence and have been a resident, you should be able to get it back when you're in the country. Good news - you dont have to hand in the  UK one! 

Ater exchanging my QLD one for UK 12 years ago, I  visited Brisbane earlier this year in April ahead of moving back (fly out on Monday! 😁)  and popped into the department of transport and sorted out renewing my licence. This was aided by the fact that my Australian address has not changed since, so they still had all my details. 

As long as you have proof of address and proof of residency, you will be able to renew your QLD licence and still keep the UK one. Unfortunately the QLD one only lasts 5 years and it costs way more to renew than the UK one. But you shouldn't have too many problems getting it.

• 4 months later...