Pet Crates: for air travel

sabrinaj

I am looking to fly my pets (a labrador and a cat) to the UK next year from Brisbane and have been collecting some quotes. And I have to say, I have am a little confused by pet carriers - I have been quoted different sizes by different companies. Jetpets in particular have said I should use a PP90 crate for my labrador, which seems quite big... And Aeropets recommend a PP60, which seems only just big enough... These are both recommendations based on renting/buying the crates through them.

Does anyone have any experience with crate sizes? I'm starting to think I should buy one and use my own judgement on sizing.

• 10 months later...

Hello, I just wondered if anyone has had experience in purchasing a crate themselves rather than paying a shipping company for one?

We are hoping to move our (small) cat in a few months and trying to save costs where we can, any thoughts appreciated 🙂

35 minutes ago, EsBear said:

Hello, I just wondered if anyone has had experience in purchasing a crate themselves rather than paying a shipping company for one?

We are hoping to move our (small) cat in a few months and trying to save costs where we can, any thoughts appreciated 🙂

I would pay for the one supplied by the shipping company. There are so many requirements for the cat carrier, such as gauge of the wire and dimensions of the mesh etc etc. it's not worth taking the risk.

When we shipped our cat, we paid for the shipping company supplied one, it's safer and will not get rejected by the airline.

Also in the scheme of things, the cost of the carrier is nothing compared to the cost of shipping a pet. 

I have to say that when we collected our cat from quarantine (along time ago now), we were surprised at how big the crate was for her - hubby commented that she'd had more leg room than we did lol. 

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2020 at 14:53, AliQ said:

I would pay for the one supplied by the shipping company. There are so many requirements for the cat carrier, such as gauge of the wire and dimensions of the mesh etc etc. it's not worth taking the risk.

When we shipped our cat, we paid for the shipping company supplied one, it's safer and will not get rejected by the airline.

Also in the scheme of things, the cost of the carrier is nothing compared to the cost of shipping a pet. 

Thank you this is helpful

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

@sabrinaj Sorry I’m late to this thread. Hopefully you haven’t already got one. First try going to Virgin/Menzies on Rosa Drive (I think) they usually have a pile of crates outside. Depending who is working they will let you take a crate for free (usually the wooden ones) although after the bushfires they didn’t have any due to donating them.

For short journeys to the vets our rotties fit in a PP60 so hopefully that gives you some idea. Remember the quote is usually on the size of the crate. 
‘I must admit I’d go for the PP90 for such a long flight. Although the rotties can turn around in the PP60 I’d feel cruel them being stuck in it for longer than a 4-5 hour journey. 

For a cat or a small breed puppy a PP20 is fine. 
‘A Rottie pup around 8-10 weeks a PP30

Like you say Jetpets hire them out but they also sell new and second hand crates if you go to their office.  Also look on gumtree/FB marketplace for them. New from Petbarn etc are silly money

Guest The Pom Queen
On 06/06/2020 at 23:12, EsBear said:

Hi @EsBear they are a lot cheaper going through the company than buying new elsewhere. Or like I mentioned above you could find one that is second hand. You will need a PP20 and second hand they should be around $50