AHPRA registration in-principle

Djwbru

Hi there, just received my in-principle registration and have been invited to present at an AHPRA office with proof of ID. One thing they have asked for is proof of residential address, which I don't have!! I still live in the UK and don't plan on moving without a job offer....which I cant get without registration.

What do people do in this situation? I have opened a Westpac account with my UK address and can add another address to the account. I thought I could use my uncles address or a friends. But, how do I then get proof from the bank? Do I need to receive a statement addressed to an Oz address? I really don't know what to do!

Help, I feel like I've jumped through so many burning hoops to get this far.....!

• 3 weeks later...

That's great you have a registration in principle!

I'm also having difficulty with trying to meet their questions/requests before I'm actually in Australia.

Question 7 on the AHPRA ADGF-20 Form asks for a 'Principle Place of Practice' in Australia... Which I don't have because I'm still in the UK and don't have an Aus job yet!
Can you remember what you answered for that question?

Re the whole not having a job before you go out... I'm actually heading out in Oct without a job and applying once I'm there. Loads of my friends have said it's a LOT easier to get a job once you are there because they don't really take people as serious when they're not in the country yet. So just a thought- if you can manage it financially, maybe you should consider heading over anyway!

On 22/07/2019 at 13:30, Djwbru said:

Hi there, just received my in-principle registration and have been invited to present at an AHPRA office with proof of ID. One thing they have asked for is proof of residential address, which I don't have!! I still live in the UK and don't plan on moving without a job offer....which I cant get without registration.

What do people do in this situation? I have opened a Westpac account with my UK address and can add another address to the account. I thought I could use my uncles address or a friends. But, how do I then get proof from the bank? Do I need to receive a statement addressed to an Oz address? I really don't know what to do!

Help, I feel like I've jumped through so many burning hoops to get this far.....!

not been on here for years !!!! But i doubt very much you will get a job offer whilst in UK - you have to get over there and be seen in person and really get in there , Hope that helps ;o)

• Like 1

Gosh how do people know where to move to without a job to go to!! That sounds scary! It would be easy it it was just me, I could just stay anywhere, but I've got 2 young kids. I can't imagine having to potentially move around looking for work. Well, maybe I will have to but it sounds like such a big risk when you've got little ones.

Thanks guys :0/

On 08/08/2019 at 18:06, Ailsa said:

That's great you have a registration in principle!

I'm also having difficulty with trying to meet their questions/requests before I'm actually in Australia.

Question 7 on the AHPRA ADGF-20 Form asks for a 'Principle Place of Practice' in Australia... Which I don't have because I'm still in the UK and don't have an Aus job yet!
Can you remember what you answered for that question?

Re the whole not having a job before you go out... I'm actually heading out in Oct without a job and applying once I'm there. Loads of my friends have said it's a LOT easier to get a job once you are there because they don't really take people as serious when they're not in the country yet. So just a thought- if you can manage it financially, maybe you should consider heading over anyway!

I just left that bit blank. 😊

3 hours ago, Djwbru said:

Gosh how do people know where to move to without a job to go to!! That sounds scary! It would be easy it it was just me, I could just stay anywhere, but I've got 2 young kids. I can't imagine having to potentially move around looking for work. Well, maybe I will have to but it sounds like such a big risk when you've got little ones.

The vast majority of migrants arrive without a job, I'm afraid.   Years ago, when Australia was a fast-growing country and desperate for workers, employers were willing to hire from overseas.  Now, there are usually local applicants and recruiting overseas is too much work - they'll take a less-qualified local rather than take the risk of hiring a foreigner sight unseen.  (There's a common misconception that because an occupation is on the Skilled list, there must be a shortage in Australia - that's not the case in most areas.  The skilled list is slow to react to changes in demand:  for instance, accountants are still on the list even though there's currently a huge glut of accountants in all the major cities).  

Do check out how long it's taking registrations to come through now.  I know in the past, people flew over for a short visit to present to AHPRA in person, because if they waited till they migrated, it would take months before their registration came through. You don't want to be sitting unemployed in Australia for your first six months!   You could use your short visit to approach some potential employers in person too, which can be useful.

As for how do people know where to move to -  you can do a lot to narrow it down through research. For instance, I 'm sure you have reasons for moving to Australia which may include a picture of the kind of lifestyle you're looking for.   Different parts of Australia (and different parts of each state) vary hugely in terms of lifestyle and culture.  If you're a couple, then you also have to consider your husband's job prospects:  unless he's also in the health industry, then you'll need to focus on larger centres to give you both a decent chance of finding work, and there's only two or three of them in each state.  Also look at affordability:  if you dream of a beach lifestyle, for instance, there's no point in going to any of the capital cities - only multimillionaires and backpackers live near the beach.   It's worth starting a thread on the forums to ask questions to get you started. 

Edited by Marisawright

19 hours ago, Djwbru said:

Thanks guys :0/

Hi , well thats what we had to do ..... you really have to put yourself out there, we had two children at the time aged 3 and 12 .

Yes it was absolutely   frightening but after 2 years of telephone calls - offers that never came to anything , We just decided as we where told like im telling you " that we had to get out there !

Yup , we sold up and headed half way across the world. it took 2 months and about £10k of savings untill work was sorted . But then once in work more offers came in and all was really well.

We are back in the UK now ,  but the contacts i have form working on the wards in Oz, and they still keep saying there is a job there waiting for me  if go back.

But i really do feel - if you are confident at what you do - you will have no probs , Also you will have to work on probation  for 2 months etc .... they like to try before they buy lol !

Good luck , the work over there is amazing ! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to update, popped over to oz, (only a 26hr flight) to show ID docs, took all of 10 minutes. Was registered a week later. I used my uncles address and opened a bank account and the bank were more than happy to print out an account confirmation page which was accepted by AHPRA. The whole process has been a massive ball ache (excuse remark), but finally all sorted! 

Thanks for all your help! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Djwbru said:

Just to update, popped over to oz, (only a 26hr flight) to show ID docs, took all of 10 minutes. Was registered a week later. I used my uncles address and opened a bank account and the bank were more than happy to print out an account confirmation page which was accepted by AHPRA. The whole process has been a massive ball ache (excuse remark), but finally all sorted! 

Thanks for all your help! 

Hello Djwbru.

I am hoping to arrive in Melbourne on an ETA visitor visa to finalize my AHPRA registration. You were able to open a bank account in Australia with only a visitor visa and no work visa yet? Did you do this online beforehand or just when you arrived? Also which bank did you use? 

How long did it take for final registration after presenting in person to the office?

Kind regards,

Daniel Cachaco 

42 minutes ago, CAN_UK said:

Hello Djwbru.

I am hoping to arrive in Melbourne on an ETA visitor visa to finalize my AHPRA registration. You were able to open a bank account in Australia with only a visitor visa and no work visa yet? Did you do this online beforehand or just when you arrived? Also which bank did you use? 

How long did it take for final registration after presenting in person to the office?

Kind regards,

Daniel Cachaco 

Hi Daniel,

I have perminent residency. Not sure if you can open an account on a visitor visa. I had to show the bank evidence of my perminent residency status. 

I opened the account online, then had to finalise it in person at a branch in Australia. You could look at the bank websites to see if there is an account for non residents. I have an account with westpac. 

I dont know your background, but I didn't know you could apply for APHRA registration without perminent residency? I had to show them my Visa confirmation in order for them to agree to register me. 

Good luck. 

24 minutes ago, Djwbru said:

Hi Daniel,

I have perminent residency. Not sure if you can open an account on a visitor visa. I had to show the bank evidence of my perminent residency status. 

I opened the account online, then had to finalise it in person at a branch in Australia. You could look at the bank websites to see if there is an account for non residents. I have an account with westpac. 

I dont know your background, but I didn't know you could apply for APHRA registration without perminent residency? I had to show them my Visa confirmation in order for them to agree to register me. 

Good luck. 

I've talked to work agencies and they say it should be fine attending an AHPRA office with just a visitor visa. So I plan to attend the office with an Electronic travel visa and will just screenshot this beforehand at time of online application. 

Thanks for your reply! 

On 22/07/2019 at 15:02, Jenki75 said:

I flew to Australia to present in person and flew home again. 

Hi Jenki75! 

I was wondering if you opened your Australian bank account with just an ETA (visitor visa), or if you already had your working visa? 

Thanks! 

-Daniel 

• 3 weeks later...

@CAN_UK I just used the ETA visitor visa for the bank account.

On 10/10/2019 at 08:01, CAN_UK said:

Hi Jenki75! 

I was wondering if you opened your Australian bank account with just an ETA (visitor visa), or if you already had your working visa? 

Thanks! 

-Daniel 

• 3 months later...