Taking our dogs to Australia

michelleE

There are expert pet shipping companies who can do this for you.  It's really not worth trying to do it yourself. 

You usually need a long lead time to get their rabies shots etc.    If you're going with a job offer then your visa just a temporary one and will come through quickly, in which case your dog might not be ready in time to travel with you.  

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There are expert pet shipping companies who can do this for you.  It's really not worth trying to do it yourself. 

You usually need a long lead time to get their rabies shots etc.    If you're going with a job offer then your visa just a temporary one and will come through quickly, in which case your dog might not be ready in time to travel with you.  

Thank you. My husband has to give 6 months notice so we only looking at November time. Do you think this is enough time?

Our Lab is 10, I’m worried it will be too traumatic for her? 

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Is it a traumatic experience for dogs ? Our Lab is 10 and I’m worried it will upset her 

1 hour ago, michelleE said:

Is it a traumatic experience for dogs ? Our Lab is 10 and I’m worried it will upset her 

There are always risks in flying a pet long distance, adn then she'll be isolated in quarantine for a period which will be stressful for her.  Best plan is to discuss it with Pet Air, they have vets on staff and are very knowledgeable.

However the question is, how long is your contract for?    Hundreds of people take their dogs with them when they migrate permanently, but it's another thing to do it and then have to subject them to the same journey a couple of years later.  What kind of visa are you coming on?

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you. We plan on emigrating so it will be a one way trip for the dogs.  I will contact Pet Air tomorrow. 

You may HOPE to emigrate, but if you are initially going with your husband's employer, that is probably a temporary contract for only 2 to 4 years.   At the end of that time, IF the rules don't change (they often do) and IF his employer is willing, you can APPLY for permanent residency, but it's certainly not guaranteed and a lot of people don't manage it.    So it's recommended that you don't sell up in the UK (rent your home out instead) and assume you will be going home at the end of the contract.  Then if you do manage to get PR, it's a bonus - and if you don't, you haven't burnt your bridges. 

Thank you. We plan on emigrating so it will be a one way trip for the dogs.  I will contact Pet Air tomorrow. 

If you are going on a temp visa, it is vitally important you understand and accept you are not going one way. You will be going home at the end of the visa. This could be a matter of days to up to 4 years. 

Be aware that dogs can also fail to reach their rabies titre levels after the first vaccination. My boy required 4 vaccinations which put a huge delay in the process. I have been dealing with Tim Finlay in Manchester for my boy’s transport to Australia and he has been absolutely brilliant.

We used PetAir earlier this year to arrange the transport of our cat back to Australia (we stayed in the UK in the end though, long story) but their service and organisation was excellent. All communications were prompt and concise, organised to a T and their care of our cat whilst in their boarding facility was just fabulous. 

Please bear in mind what Marisawright has said though.  As it is a very very expensive exercise to transport pets and very stressful for the owners ! Our cat was fine on her travels from Australia to the UK, she arrived like it was just a normal day in her life - ate some biscuits then went to sleep ! Having said that, she can’t talk so no idea really what went off on the flight over 😊