Travel to Australia while 309/100 pending

TBD

I have an application for 309/100 pending (made in late May) but no current Australia visa.

I have had an invitation to attend and speak at a conference in Australia in a couple of months (relevant to work there once we migrate).

Any view on what would be a suitable visa for me to enter Australia while my 309 application is pending (I have not had any RFI or similar and still have my medical to do, so do not anticipate getting my 309 in time to travel on it for the conference ) - I don't want any visa application I make to enter temporarily just now to mess up my 309 application?

6 hours ago, TBD said:

I have an application for 309/100 pending (made in late May) but no current Australia visa.

I have had an invitation to attend and speak at a conference in Australia in a couple of months (relevant to work there once we migrate).

Any view on what would be a suitable visa for me to enter Australia while my 309 application is pending (I have not had any RFI or similar and still have my medical to do, so do not anticipate getting my 309 in time to travel on it for the conference ) - I don't want any visa application I make to enter temporarily just now to mess up my 309 application?

I think you can apply for a Evisitor visa which lasts for 12 months. You can stay for up to 3 months at a time within the 12 month period.

On 25/06/2019 at 12:17, CEP said:

I’d be careful travelling on a visitor visa given the nature of your trip.... might be best to get some advice.

For what reason do you think CEP should be careful? Some people may need to visit Australia for whatever reason but clearly will return to the UK. Could be a wedding, funeral for a family member etc....

4 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

For what reason do you think CEP should be careful? Some people may need to visit Australia for whatever reason but clearly will return to the UK. Could be a wedding, funeral for a family member etc....

They are attending to speak at a conference which could be construed as work

5 hours ago, ali said:

They are attending to speak at a conference which could be construed as work

Correct. Generally it will depend on whether the speaker is being paid to participate in the conference and/or whether they are selling anything. Best to get some advice based on the specific purpose. 

7 hours ago, paulhand said:

Assuming your passport is from an eVisitor country then an eVisitor (651) visa for "Business Visitor Activities" would be the way forward.

Thanks. It is. Have just looked again and will fit the "Business visitor activitoes" definition on the IMMI website. 

• 1 month later...

I attended my conference, using a 651 visa, completing my landing/ entry card showing that I was entering for "Convention/ conference" (a specific box on the form). No query at immigration.

Amusingly, the event I was attending was in a hall right next door to a Migration Institute of Australia conference.