Paying for Education

Hi, ive had a look around for the information I need but cant seem to find anything.

We have 5 children coming with us, 4 will be going into the normal school system and I know on a 489 visa we wont have to pay anything other than what everyone else pays. My concern is for my 15/16 year old. She will be doing her GCSE's before we move so in this country would go onto A levels or NVQ's. Im thinking over in NSW it will be year 12, does this also come under the normal education? And what happens if we still have the 489 visa when she gets to university, will she be classed as an international student and have to pay thousands?

She wants to go to medical school so its going to cost wherever she goes, but id rather not have to take out lots of loans for her to do this.

Thanks in advance.

36 minutes ago, KSH81 said:

Hi, ive had a look around for the information I need but cant seem to find anything.

We have 5 children coming with us, 4 will be going into the normal school system and I know on a 489 visa we wont have to pay anything other than what everyone else pays. My concern is for my 15/16 year old. She will be doing her GCSE's before we move so in this country would go onto A levels or NVQ's. Im thinking over in NSW it will be year 12, does this also come under the normal education? And what happens if we still have the 489 visa when she gets to university, will she be classed as an international student and have to pay thousands?

She wants to go to medical school so its going to cost wherever she goes, but id rather not have to take out lots of loans for her to do this.

Thanks in advance.

We looked into the Uni angle (and it's the reason we held out for the 190 route instead of pulling the pin on a 489 months ago).

The advice we were given is that only citizens and PR are treated as home students - all others are overseas students.

Interesting though by going to Australia for the A level years your child will also be classed as overseas at a UK university also

Many students obtain a place in uni after year 12 then defer it for a year.  They either travel or work to get experience or cash during that time. I wouldn’t let it put you off. A bit of extra maturity isn’t a bad thing for uni especially for medicine. 

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Many students obtain a place in uni after year 12 then defer it for a year.  They either travel or work to get experience or cash during that time. I wouldn’t let it put you off. A bit of extra maturity isn’t a bad thing for uni especially for medicine. 

I don't think it's the age that is worrying the original poster, I think it's the cost of fees as an overseas student 

We looked into the Uni angle (and it's the reason we held out for the 190 route instead of pulling the pin on a 489 months ago).
The advice we were given is that only citizens and PR are treated as home students - all others are overseas students.
Interesting though by going to Australia for the A level years your child will also be classed as overseas at a UK university also
The above is correct.

However by the time your child is ready for university you will be eligible for an 887 so once you have this you can pay domestic fees. It will be tight so might need a gap year.

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

The above is correct.

However by the time your child is ready for university you will be eligible for an 887 so once you have this you can pay domestic fees. It will be tight so might need a gap year.

Yes but it will need to be a "domestic" gap year either working in Oz or touring round it as a gap year involving backpacking round Asia (or Europe) will mean the uni age kid won't have met the two years residence requirement 

(Or is it only the main applicant this applies to? I know that's the case for the work obligation part of the 489)

1 hour ago, KSH81 said:

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. We will just have to apply for PR visa as soon as able and if my daughter needs to take a gap year I’m sure she won’t mind.  😄

I think its worth adding that in order to get a student loan she will need to be a citizen,

6 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I think its worth adding that in order to get a student loan she will need to be a citizen,

Yep that's true also, you need to be able to pay as you go for tuition and living costs as you can't get a government loan until you are a citizen.

So whilst as a PR you are entitled to the same fees as a citizen you have to pay for it with real cash rather than deferring the cost with student loans.

There are probably commercial loans you can get for it, but they will be more expensive.