Work Experience (Accountant)

Archimedes

Hi all, 

I was just wondering whether the work experience element of the EOI only applies to post qualification experience? 

I completed my BSc Accounting and Finance in June 2015, I then completed a 3 year training contract with an accountancy firm to become an ACA chartered accountant in October 2018.

Obviously, as an accountant the points requirements are in the 80's so I could do with all the extra points I can get. 

Cheers.

Edited by Archimedes

Yeah, latest invitation round is 90 for 2211 accountants and 85 2212 for auditors. My work experience is in the external audit field. 

Tbh, it is looking less likely that I will ever be invited to apply 🙁

Has this happened before where the point requirement spikes to 85-90 and then is reduced at a later date?  I can only see previous rounds on skill select dating back to October 2018. 

6 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Yeah, latest invitation round is 90 for 2211 accountants and 85 2212 for auditors. My work experience is in the external audit field. 

Has this happened before where the point requirement spikes to 85-90 and then is reduced at a later date?  I can only see previous rounds on skill select dating back to October 2018. 

Most of us who have been around the forums for a while are amazed it is an occupation still on the list (it has been flagged for removal repeatadly) and is now at the point that the joke is what's the quickest way to get a accountant? Call a taxi. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Points do go up and down but I'm pretty sure 85-90 is unprecedented.   

On 01/05/2019 at 17:57, VERYSTORMY said:

Most of us who have been around the forums for a while are amazed it is an occupation still on the list (it has been flagged for removal repeatadly) and is now at the point that the joke is what's the quickest way to get a accountant? Call a taxi. 

Haha!! Damn.. I think I underestimated how saturated the industry is. My selfish side just hopes the external audit jobs stays on the list long enough for me to get in. 

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Points do go up and down but I'm pretty sure 85-90 is unprecedented.   

Hmm.. I guess my best route is try to get an internal transfer to Australia with my current firm. This will give me additional points of "in Australia work experience" for a 189 and/or I could go down the 186 route. 

• 1 month later...
On 30/04/2019 at 22:23, Archimedes said:

Hi all, 

I was just wondering whether the work experience element of the EOI only applies to post qualification experience? 

I completed my BSc Accounting and Finance in June 2015, I then completed a 3 year training contract with an accountancy firm to become an ACA chartered accountant in October 2018.

Obviously, as an accountant the points requirements are in the 80's so I could do with all the extra points I can get. 

Cheers.

I suspect your degree will cover requirements to allow work post 2015 to be allowed.

Best way to check is submit a migration assessment / work experience assesment to one of the bodies here, I used CPA.

I haven't found issues with getting work here, but anecdotally I have had uber drivers who studied accounting here and can't get work.  Overall your experience should count you in good stead.

Maximise points, especially in English tests and go for the 190, language and experience will give you a better chance with the states vs the 189.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1