UK Property Manager and Landlord Insurance

Carrie

Hi All,

I have a property which I rent in South East London, I've recently moved to Australia. A local letting agent is managing the property for me but I've been disappointed with the service I've received. Can anyone recommend a good letting agent or property manager?  The only other one I've come across online which looks good for an international landlord is Hamptons however they charge a hefty 17-20% of the monthly rent.

Also, how difficult is it to change over mid-tenancy?

Regarding non-UK landlord insurance, I've now been told by two brokers that to be covered I need a contract with the property manager confirming a minimum of 2 property inspections a year. Is that always the case?

Thanks in advance.

I have a landlords insurance through Simply Business, who do not mandate a contract with a property manager.  But they have a catch all clause that says they can deny any claim on the basis that you did not disclose any information that they deem pertinent.  Hope to never claim, but expecting it will be rejected for failing to declare the time I snogged an American girl whilst caving in Cheddar.

I have rented a house in Aus from the UK.

I wouldn’t do it without a minimum of 6 monthly visits and full reports from an agent. Preferably 3 months initially until satisfied all is OK. This is for me and the tenants so that all issues are reported and recorded both those things that the tenant should fix and those that I as the landlord need to address. 

It is simply good practice and common sense. 

Peach - i'm with Simply Business (Finsbury is provider) and yes they do, though I don't recall this being made clear to me when I purchased the policy.

I now wake up to an email from the Prop Manager (real estate agent) advising the reason why this month's rent has not been paid on to me is because a flea issue has not been resolved. Essentially the expense has not even been incurred yet!! (pest control contractor didn't respond to PM's query).  Apart from a 1 pager "Terms of Marketing / Authorisation to Let"  which is only signed by myself , I don't even have a contract with them - they have never sent me one!  I would request it, but now I am thinking no point as I want to change.  If anyone can recommend a good property manager I would be grateful. This is stressing me out.

Thanks 

10 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I have rented a house in Aus from the UK.

I wouldn’t do it without a minimum of 6 monthly visits and full reports from an agent. Preferably 3 months initially until satisfied all is OK. This is for me and the tenants so that all issues are reported and recorded both those things that the tenant should fix and those that I as the landlord need to address. 

It is simply good practice and common sense. 

We have always had 3 monthly reports, as Rammygirl says, this way you keep on top of any potential problems. The tenants know you are on the ball, and over the 20+ years we have rented UK property out, it gives tenants reassurance that you want to maintain the property, which is beneficial to both.

Edited by ramot