Regaining permanent residency

Sandra spencer

Can I get my permanent residency back after living back in the UK for 9years? I left Perth Wa to return back to the UK when my marriage broke down....my 3 grown up children stayed in Perth and are all permanent residents. I've built my life back up now and would love to return to live with my family in Australia and I'm not sure who to contact about my situation . I have since remarried and my new husband is 51yesrs old..we married in Perth last year surrounded by my three Children.

You can certainly apply - although the outcome will depend on demonstrating  your substantial ties to Australia and compelling reasons for being away for so long. Assuming he is not already a citizen/PR, your husband would need to apply for a partner visa once you had re-established your permanent residence. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sandra spencer said:

Can anyone tell me how much the medicals cost ? If I get my RRV back my new husband will have to apply for spouse Visa and we are trying to work out extra costs such as medicals and police checks...Any help would be greatfuly received. 

Medicals are in the few hundred bracket. Police checks in the tens of pounds. So peanuts compare to the cost of a partner visa which is in the fair few thousands. 

If you are applying for a spouse visa, then do not apply for your resident return visa yet as spouse visas are taking a couple of years. 

15 hours ago, Sandra spencer said:

2 years for a spouse Visa? I've been advised that I need to apply for a resident return Visa before my husband can apply for a spouse Visa....its very confusing not sure what to do now....Anyway, thank you for information. 

16 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Medicals are in the few hundred bracket. Police checks in the tens of pounds. So peanuts compare to the cost of a partner visa which is in the fair few thousands. 

If you are applying for a spouse visa, then do not apply for your resident return visa yet as spouse visas are taking a couple of years. 

You can’t sponsor for a spouse visa unless you are a permanent resident usually resident in Australia. You need to hold the RRV to be considered a permanent resident and you will need to also demonstrate “usually resident”. So it’s RRV first, then if successful look at the partner visa options. This will be a long process, but it’s likely the only viable option at this point, unless you qualify for a skilled visa.