186 - is it worth a shot? 60K Salary 261313

Believer

G'day peeps, 

Writing my first post here and appreciate your valuable input :)

A little bit of my self:

• 261313 - Software Engineer 4-5 Years of offshore experience and 1.5 years of onshore experience
  • English 7 each
  • Partner with a skilled assessment and 7 each English
  • State - Vic -Mel
  • Salary - 60K 😑
  • Current position - Permanent and Full time
  • Current visa - Dependent student

My current company is not really a big company but has been in the industry for the last 10 years. They have sponsored a couple of 457 visas before so I'm guessing they know the drill.

We have been struggling with PR since last year and it seems it is dragging away from us day by day. I hadn't thought about 186 until now as I thought it is a tedious process and I just don't want to be dependent on anyone regarding my visa. I haven't had any sort of discussion with my employer yet. 

anyway, my question is it really worth to try 186? Considering my below average salary? 

Is it true it is taking around 12 months get all completed?

Do you guys think I should go with a MR?

Appreciate your opinion on above, Thank you :) :)

Can you get PR with a salary of 60K? There is market salary test, your income for this occupation should not below the average salary. I would believe the average salary for 261313 - Software Engineer is 90,000+ at least. So I am wondering if case officer will challenge this or not. I suggest you consult  an migration agent.

Edited by Aron
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aron said:

here is market salary test, your income for this occupation should not below the average salary. I would believe the average salary for 261313 - Software Engineer is 90,000+ at least. So I

Yes, This is the question I'm having. You are correct about the average salary.

I took this job as it is without any demanding or proper research for salary because I was not in a position to demand and my current visa is student dependent. (not even 457) so not many people would like to hire people like me. 

I don't think I would get an increment this soon to match it with market rate. 

Yes, This is the question I'm having. You are correct about the average salary.
I took this job as it is without any demanding or proper research for salary because I was not in a position to demand and my current visa is student dependent. (not even 457) so not many people would like to hire people like me. 
I don't think I would get an increment this soon to match it with market rate. 

Are you working full time for $60K? Or are you limited on your dependent visa to 40 hours a fortnight? I know of someone who had that restriction so although their salary sounded low, they were only allowed to be part time.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Believer said:

G'day peeps, 

Writing my first post here and appreciate your valuable input 🙂

A little bit of my self:

• 261313 - Software Engineer 4-5 Years of offshore experience and 1.5 years of onshore experience
  • English 7 each
  • Partner with a skilled assessment and 7 each English
  • State - Vic -Mel
  • Salary - 60K 😑
  • Current position - Permanent and Full time
  • Current visa - Dependent student

My current company is not really a big company but has been in the industry for the last 10 years. They have sponsored a couple of 457 visas before so I'm guessing they know the drill.

We have been struggling with PR since last year and it seems it is dragging away from us day by day. I hadn't thought about 186 until now as I thought it is a tedious process and I just don't want to be dependent on anyone regarding my visa. I haven't had any sort of discussion with my employer yet. 

anyway, my question is it really worth to try 186? Considering my below average salary? 

Is it true it is taking around 12 months get all completed?

Do you guys think I should go with a MR?

Appreciate your opinion on above, Thank you 🙂 🙂

Th viability of a subclass 186 application will depend on a number of factors and It is not possible to provide an opinion based on the information you have supplied in your post.

You are doing yourself a disservice by trying to make such an important decision based on advice on a public forum, based on such minimal information.

Do yourself a favour and pay for some professional advice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

Are you working full time for $60K? Or are you limited on your dependent visa to 40 hours a fortnight? I know of someone who had that restriction so although their salary sounded low, they were only allowed to be part time.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

How can you be working full-time if you're on a dependent student visa?  Aren't you limited to 20 hours a week?

3 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

I think it’s okay if the student is a researcher or doing a masters?

Hi Guys Full time, Permanent - My partner reading for Masters

Yeah I know I'm underpaid, but there were not many to offer me a job even though I was entitled to work full time. As soon as they heard the word 'Student', they would reject me without even going through my resume. 

Despite my salary, I'm grateful for my employed who offered me full time and a permanent position so I could claim points for my experience.

2 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Th viability of a subclass 186 application will depend on a number of factors and It is not possible to provide an opinion based on the information you have supplied in your post.

You are doing yourself a disservice by trying to make such an important decision based on advice on a public forum, based on such minimal information.

Do yourself a favour and pay for some professional advice.

I see, I just wanted to see if there's anyone who had been in my shoes. 

Thank you for advice, really appreciate. 

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Despite my salary, I'm grateful for my employed who offered me full time and a permanent position so I could claim points for my experience.

But if you're a dependent on a student visa, taking a full-time job is breaching th econditions of your visa, isn't it?   So you wouldn't be able to claim full-time work on your visa application anyway -if you admit to Immigration that you're working full-time, you could get deported. 

Edited by Marisawright

But if you're a dependent on a student visa, taking a full-time job is illegal, so you wouldn't be able to claim full-time work on your visa application anyway. 

I don’t think it is illegal. The rules are different for the partner of a Masters Degree student. I thought they could work full time.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Jeison said:

True!! But in the immigration webpage says the minimum salary for sponsorship is 53k so therefore 65k is ok to sponsor? 

$53,900 is the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) which is the minimum for all occupations.

The salary must also meet Market Rate requirements, which is specific to the occupation. As such they would need to prove that $60K is the market rate that would be paid to a comparable Australian in the same occupation. 

• Like 1