Anyone let their PR lapse?

Jilldesp

Hi all

just have a series of questions if anyone can help with answers!?! Firstly, I’m wondering if anyone has left Australia to return to UK, wanted to go back, but for some reason it never or couldn’t happen, and your PR ended? How did you feel about this? 

Also, how long do you have to have lived in Australia to qualify for a RRV? 

Do you need continuous years in OZ to qualify for uni loans, or does that not matter? 

Is TAFE free or not?

Thankyou in advance and sorry the questions are a bit random! Xx

There's quite a few people on the forum at the moment who have let the travel portion of their PR lapse and looking to get a resident return visa.  The criteria for a 5 year RRV is to have lived in Aus for 730 days in the last 5 years and demonstrate substantial ties that benefit Australia.

Uni loans are only available if you have Citizenship, PR holders pay domestic fees which are paid up front.

TAFE isn't free.

We have a steady stream of people on these forums who have let their PR lapse for one reason or another.   

When you first migrate, you have a travel facility of 5 years.   When that expires, you need to apply for another RRV.  To get one, you must have spent 2 years out of the preceding 5 years on Australia soil.   It doesn't have to be continuous years.

If you have less than 2 years, then you can still apply for a RRV but there's no guarantee you'll get one. You'd be well advised to hire an agent to do the application for you (even though it seems like a simple thing).   To give you an RRV, Immigration has to be convinced that you have strong ties to Australia which are of benefit to the country - which is easy if you have close relatives there, or have kept your house, but difficult otherwise.  A good agent can sometimes turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.  We've seen several  cases recently, where I've thought the person had no chance, and yet they were successful.

Note that if you haven't completed the 2 years, you won't get a 5-year RRV.  They will give you a short one, just enough time for you to get to Australia and get settled.  Usually it's a year, but some people have been given only 3 months - so once you apply for your RRV, be ready to move quickly!

Of course if you do get a short RRV, then you'll be stuck in Australia for a couple of years until you've established enough residency to get another RRV.

Some TAFE courses are free. Just depends on what course you are looking at. I believe if you are PR you may qualify, but you also need to meet the eligibility criteria. This link is for VIC, not sure about other states.

https://w.www.vic.gov.au/freetafe/free-tafe.html

BTW only the tuition part is free, students still have to pay material and student services fees upfront, so there is an out of pocket expense.

Edited by cheese n pickle

4 minutes ago, cheese n pickle said:

Some TAFE courses are free. Just depends on what course you are looking at. I believe if you are PR you may qualify, but you also need to meet the eligibility criteria. This link is for VIC, not sure about other states.

https://w.www.vic.gov.au/freetafe/free-tafe.html

BTW only the tuition part is free, students still have to pay material and student services fees upfront, so there is an out of pocket expense.

I'm sending my son to Vic - he paid over $4,000 for his TAFE course