Hello everyone

My husband and I are looking in to the possibility of emigrating to Australia and are already so confused about the best option, if we even have options that is!

My husband currently works for the RAF as an Aircraft Avionics Techincian which is on the STSOL. We've been told by one agent that they're concerned his qualifications in this trade (currently NVQ level) may not be enough to match AQF level 4, but another has said this should be fine. He's thinking about studying for an Aeronautical Engineer degree which would then make him eligible for a 190 visa we believe, but ths is going to take him 3 years....will it still be on the list then?? This is our biggest concern.

Also if we apply under the 189 visa, the only state open for his trade is NT, not actually somewhere we'd considered. We've recently spent time in WA and completely fell in love, so really this is where we'd like to end up in the long run. From my understanding, you can move after 2 years in the original state, is this correct?

It's all a bit much at the moment and it's a lot of money to start the whole visa process...we don't want to make the wrong decision.

I work for the Police which is absolutely no help to the application at all.

Any advice anyone can offer would be amazing.

Thank you

I recommend you look at the skills assessment requirements for he occupation. This will specify the minimum qualification and experience. Once of the big things to note is that any specified experience has to be post qualification experience. So, if it states a degree and three years experience, you are at least six years away from applying . 

If the occupation is only on the short term list then he isn't eligible for a 189.

As for what will be on the skilled lists in the future is impossible to say. The lists change dramatically every year and even the entire system changes every few years. For example, 2 years ago, the medium and short term lists didn't exist. The age limit was 50 and now 45 and there were 200 more occupations on the then lists. There are likely to be many massive changes in the years to come as immigration is as a political hot potatoe as anywhere else in e world with parties competing to show their policies are making it harder. 

As a result, he should never study for something hoping to get a visa. Only study if it is something he really wants to do. 

• Like 1

Getting a new degree may 'remove' any experience points. Typically, only related experience acquired AFTER a qualification is counted. So you may lose points on xp to gain on education.

As far as study, check the state nomination pathways for graduates too. Some states will not offer local graduate preference/pathways (NSW does not, and I'm pretty sure VIC does not for the occupation you specified).

9 hours ago, Katie Sandford said:

My husband currently works for the RAF as an Aircraft Avionics Techincian which is on the STSOL. We've been told by one agent that they're concerned his qualifications in this trade (currently NVQ level) may not be enough to match AQF level 4, but another has said this should be fine. He's thinking about studying for an Aeronautical Engineer degree which would then make him eligible for a 190 visa we believe, but ths is going to take him 3 years....will it still be on the list then?? This is our biggest concern.

Also if we apply under the 189 visa, the only state open for his trade is NT, not actually somewhere we'd considered. We've recently spent time in WA and completely fell in love, so really this is where we'd like to end up in the long run. From my understanding, you can move after 2 years in the original state, is this correct?

In your shoes, I'd be doing more investigation to see if his NVQ matches AQF level 4 or not.  It would seem foolish to embark on a six-year plan, (losing three years of income while he studies, plus the cost of fees) on the basis that it "might or might not be enough"- and then find the occupation is no longer on the list anyway. 

If you can get a 190 visa for the NT, then yes, you can move to another state once you've served your two years. 

As for cost - the whole process of migrating is expensive.  The agent's fees and visa fees are a drop in the bucket by comparison!

Thank you all for your responses. 

Luckily if he does decide to do his degree,  which we think will be a bonus regardless of where we end up, he's able to do this alongside working full time so no loss of income, he has several colleagues already doing theirs. Because  of  his shift pattern he gets a lot of days off to study. Part of his learning counts towards some modules too so he's completed some of it already. The RAF also provides some support so it's not the full cost of a degree as it would be applying without them.

I think we do need to look in to applying now. If it's a no, then we can reassess in a few years. My husband  is concerned even if we do get accepted to NT, will there be a job for him there? I've told him that's something to worry about later but he's very concerned. (Because of his age (coming up to 33) we already feel time is running out as we currently score 65, the minimum for a 190 Visa. If he gets a degree we go up 5 points, but if he's 39 by then we lose 10! And who knows what the immigration system will be like then anyway.

Thanks again for your advice. 

Hi everyone 

I need advice 

My question 

I am planning to apply 489 or 190 ,I  got 4 years full time experience as a restaurant  manager in Australia before my RPL  diploma certificate and one year after RPL ,so may I claim that 4 years experience to gain more point ?

On 18/03/2019 at 17:19, July2017 said:

Hi everyone 

I need advice 

My question 

I am planning to apply 489 or 190 ,I  got 4 years full time experience as a restaurant  manager in Australia before my RPL  diploma certificate and one year after RPL ,so may I claim that 4 years experience to gain more point ?

•  

You won't know until you apply for the skills assessment, but typically, only experience acquired after the qualification is counted. Most likely you will be counted for 1 year.

Migration is designed for people who do not have to work their way through tertiary education🤨

On 22/03/2019 at 04:59, Karstedt said:

You won't know until you apply for the skills assessment, but typically, only experience acquired after the qualification is counted. Most likely you will be counted for 1 year.

Migration is designed for people who do not have to work their way through tertiary education🤨

Thanks karstedt