HR roles

HK01

Hi everyone 

I was hoping for some advice. I have recently moved to Melbourne from the UK on a PMV visa and have pretty much applied for all the jobs that are out there that meet my skill set as a HR Business Partner. I’m finding that I’m not getting any responses and finding it really difficult to get any traction. 

Im at the point where I’m getting really down about the whole job search process and was wondering if anyone can provide any pointers on how to just get a response to my application. I feel the recruitment process is very different over here and could really do with an understanding of where I’m going wrong. 

Sorry if this is just sounding like a moan but working is really important for me, if not just for my own sanity! 

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any any advice.

xx

I wonder if the PMV visa is part of the problem.  On another thread, there was discussion about employers being wary of people on provisional visas.  

You may have to resign yourself to not getting a permanent job until after you're married and can get your permanent visa.  In the meantime, could you look for temporary contracts?  

Are you reaching out on LinkedIn?

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

First, I always tell people that they need to allow a minimum of three months to find work and ideally six months. Also, recruitment pretty much drops away in Oz in December and January and to some extent February as people are on holiday. 

@VERYSTORMY thanks for the response. I haven’t thought about recruitment being quieter over the summer months. Will take this into consideration and be a little more patient. Totally appreciate that it will take much longer than perhaps it would’ve back in the UK - thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I wonder if the PMV visa is part of the problem.  On another thread, there was discussion about employers being wary of people on provisional visas.  

You may have to resign yourself to not getting a permanent job until after you're married and can get your permanent visa.  In the meantime, could you look for temporary contracts?  

Are you reaching out on LinkedIn?

@Marisawright I did consider whether the visa itself is causing an issue given that it expires in May. We are getting married in Feb at which point I’ll apply for the next visa which hopefully should help alleviate any concerns from potential employers. I have reached out on LinkedIn and updated my status, made cv public etc so hopefully I’ll get some movement over the next few weeks. Thank you for your response. 

• 2 months later...

Hi

how are you getting on with your job search? Any luck? I’m in a similar situation, i’m An HRBP and  just moved from the Uk to Perth. I’ve registered with quite a few agencies and feedback that I am getting so far is that for HRBP/advisor role I don’t have Australian experience and for liver level jobs I get rejection too as overqualified. So it’s a bit of a tricky one. I’ve been here only for 3 weeks so I’m still hopeful.

Hi @andana 

Stick at it and you’ll find something. I was pretty impatient and wanted to get something straight away. I ended up with 2 job offers, so wished I’d chilled out a little instead of stressing myself out about work. But isn’t hindsight fantastic! Just keep applying and register with a couple of agencies. Read up about the fair work act and use the time to perhaps do some of the short free online courses they have online. Will show initiative when it comes to interviews. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on! 

17 hours ago, HK01 said:

Hi @andana 

Stick at it and you’ll find something. I was pretty impatient and wanted to get something straight away. I ended up with 2 job offers, so wished I’d chilled out a little instead of stressing myself out about work. But isn’t hindsight fantastic! Just keep applying and register with a couple of agencies. Read up about the fair work act and use the time to perhaps do some of the short free online courses they have online. Will show initiative when it comes to interviews. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on! 

That’s great! Congrats on getting a job! Yeah I’ve registered with few agencies and actually have been reading bout fair work and NES and doing the online tests 🙂  Good to hear you got even 2 Job offers 🙂