From 417 to 489

lbw_rtr

G'day everyone ! First of all I would like to apologise if similar questions have already been answered here but I haven't been able to find the answers I was looking for.

Here is the situation, I am currently on a 417 working holiday visa which will expire in June 2019. I came to Australia to do my final project assignement to validate my master in Renewable Energies Engineering. The company I was working with was really happy with the work I did and they offered me a position. The problem is, I cannot work for them right now due to the 6 months working limitation with the same company (under 417).

I want to apply for a 489 visa to stay here and work for them. The company can sponsor me and wait a few months until I get the visa. My questions are:

Can I lodge an application for 489 knowing that my skills haven't been assessed yet ?

If I lodge an application and get a bridging visa, will I have to wait until my current working holiday visa ends to work with the company again ?

With my age, my qualifications and my English level I think I meet the points requirements.

Thank you very much.

On 13/01/2019 at 07:44, lbw_rtr said:

Can I lodge an application for 489 knowing that my skills haven't been assessed yet ?

If I lodge an application and get a bridging visa, will I have to wait until my current working holiday visa ends to work with the company again ?

- No

- Once you have lodged the application, you can apply for an exemption to the six month limit

On 13/01/2019 at 18:44, lbw_rtr said:

G'day everyone ! First of all I would like to apologise if similar questions have already been answered here but I haven't been able to find the answers I was looking for.

Here is the situation, I am currently on a 417 working holiday visa which will expire in June 2019. I came to Australia to do my final project assignement to validate my master in Renewable Energies Engineering. The company I was working with was really happy with the work I did and they offered me a position. The problem is, I cannot work for them right now due to the 6 months working limitation with the same company (under 417).

I want to apply for a 489 visa to stay here and work for them. The company can sponsor me and wait a few months until I get the visa. My questions are:

With my age, my qualifications and my English level I think I meet the points requirements.

Thank you very much.

If you are engineering graduate, there is very cheap option for you called Recognised graduate visa subclass 476. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-recognition-graduate-476

It will grant you unlimited work rights and you can start working for this company straight away after you apply

Hi Garry thank you for your answer.

I just checked the requirements and the diploma has to be delivered by an accredited institution. There are close to none accredited European universities on that list so I think it rules me out for this Visa unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, lbw_rtr said:

Hi Garry thank you for your answer.

I just checked the requirements and the diploma has to be delivered by an accredited institution. There are close to none accredited European universities on that list so I think it rules me out for this Visa unfortunately.

Which university did you go to ? If i am not wrong most of the European universities comes under Washington accords. The list is of the universities they accept top of Washington accord universities 

Hello again, something crossed my mind. WOuld I be able to work for the company if I get my own ABN and invoice the company ? Also, I am going to turn 25 on June 26, my WHV expires June 3rd. I need to find a way to stay here 22 days to apply for a 189. Can I get a tourist visa and then apply for 189 ? Can I  stay unlawfully in Australia until the 26th and get a bridging visa C ?

On 15/01/2019 at 20:37, lbw_rtr said:

Hello again, something crossed my mind. WOuld I be able to work for the company if I get my own ABN and invoice the company ? Also, I am going to turn 25 on June 26, my WHV expires June 3rd. I need to find a way to stay here 22 days to apply for a 189. Can I get a tourist visa and then apply for 189 ? Can I  stay unlawfully in Australia until the 26th and get a bridging visa C ?

No, you cannot artificiality work beyond 6 months by using an ABN, as the end user (your employer) is the same. This would be in breach of your 417 conditions.

For a 189, you first need a positive skills assessment, then lodge an EOI and then receive an invitation, before you can apply for the subclass 189 visa. 

You would be unlikely to be granted a tourist visa after spending a year in Australia on a working holiday visa, as it is likely that they would not consider you a genuine student.

Your situation seems complex and time critical. I suggest you obtain professional advice.

Thank you Raul.

I think the only way for me to keep working for them would be to do my farmwork, to get a second WHV. This would give time and I would be able to get more points to apply for pr as I will turn 25 in June. I read somewhere that they only send invitations for people who can score 75 points. I know you can claim 5 points if you have one year work experience in Australia but does it take into account internships ? Because I came here to do my master's project assignment in the form of an internship. I was getting paid for this and it was full time.

12 hours ago, lbw_rtr said:

Thank you Raul.

I think the only way for me to keep working for them would be to do my farmwork, to get a second WHV. This would give time and I would be able to get more points to apply for pr as I will turn 25 in June. I read somewhere that they only send invitations for people who can score 75 points. I know you can claim 5 points if you have one year work experience in Australia but does it take into account internships ? Because I came here to do my master's project assignment in the form of an internship. I was getting paid for this and it was full time.

Points required for an invitation will depend on the occupation nominated. Currently, the lowest score receiving an invitation is 70, although the queue at this score is a few months.

I see, I am an engineer in renewable energies but the courses I had are closely related to electrical engineering.I've seen that for this occupation they only send invitations to people who can score 75. This would be achievable for me only if the internship can be counted as 'work experience', this is my biggest concern at the moment.