Australian citizenship application process for 17 year old

panashes

Hi guys. So I'm currently a recent year 12 graduate who will be starting uni this year. I am a permanent resident who has lived in Australia for over 4 years now and I am about to submit my Australian citizenship application.

As I am under 18 years, I do not have to sit the test or interview. Does this mean my application may be processed quite quickly?

I am hoping to have my citizenship before my uni fees are due (on 12 March 2019) so that I may apply for the HECS-loan which is only available to Australian citizens.

Do you guys know how realistic it is that I will have my citizenship by then?

On 6 January 2019 at 12:10, panashes said:

Hi guys. So I'm currently a recent year 12 graduate who will be starting uni this year. I am a permanent resident who has lived in Australia for over 4 years now and I am about to submit my Australian citizenship application.

As I am under 18 years, I do not have to sit the test or interview. Does this mean my application may be processed quite quickly?

I am hoping to have my citizenship before my uni fees are due (on 12 March 2019) so that I may apply for the HECS-loan which is only available to Australian citizens.

Do you guys know how realistic it is that I will have my citizenship by then?

Can't honestly see any way you'll get it by March.

10 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Are you not doing this with your parents? The waiting time is over a year at the moment.

No, I am not. Applicants who are aged 16 and 17 must submit a separate application. So my father has only included my siblings under 15 in his application

If you really need the HECS loan then you might need to consider deferring your place. Citizenship applications are taking 20 months at the moment, some people who applied in January 2018 are still waiting for a test date. Even when you get your approval you have to wait to be invited to a ceremony to actually become a citizen. 

My son ended up starting mid year after getting his citizenship. 

Lots of people take a year out to travel and earn some money before starting uni. 

15 hours ago, panashes said:

No, I am not. Applicants who are aged 16 and 17 must submit a separate application. So my father has only included my siblings under 15 in his application

I think parents would normally be the driving force behind an application that's all. I.e. organising the paperwork. Good luck with it all. If you are looking for HECS you'll need to defer I'm afraid.