Partner Visa 801 and Resident Return Visa 155

dotdotslash

I need some advice. Background:

* Partner Visa Sponsor holds 189 Visa that expires roughly June 2019. Plans to apply for Resident Return Visa (155) before this expiry date. Complication is that Sponsor will have only spent 2 years in Australia roughly April 2019.

* Partner Visa Sponsee holds 820 Visa. Visa applied roughly May 2016. Therefore should be eligible to submit documents for 801 Visa roughly April 2019.

* Therefore both Visas can basically be applied for in April 2019.

Which order should the visas be applied for? Should the Resident Return Visa (155) be applied for first and wait for it to be approved before applying for the Partner Visa 801? Does the Partner somehow need to be added to the 155 application, or does it not matter? Or should we submit both Visa applications independently?

I'm assuming you are both in Australia?   In that case, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which one you do first, they're completely separate. 

Your partner's 189 visa doesn't expire in 2019.  His travel facility expires, i.e. his right to travel in and out of the country.   People live for years in Australia without ever getting a RRV, if they never travel overseas.  So it won't affect your 801 application.

It's a different story if you're currently living outside Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm assuming you are both in Australia?   In that case, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which one you do first, they're completely separate. 

Your partner's 189 visa doesn't expire in 2019.  His travel facility expires, i.e. his right to travel in and out of the country.   People live for years in Australia without ever getting a RRV, if they never travel overseas.  So it won't affect your 801 application.

It's a different story if you're currently living outside Australia.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we're both currently in Australia. Happily enjoying the country and building our new life.

That makes sense. So we will apply for the 155 once confident the 2 year period for the 5 year renewal has passed and apply for the 820 whenever we've got the documents together and just not plan any trips outside the country around this time until the 155 has been granted.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there isn't any need to worry too much about the renewals then, Sponsor just can't leave the country unil RRV is granted.

Just to confirm, does the travel restriction apply to the Partner on 820? Hypothetically, what if the Partner wishes to leave the country for a short holiday or trip out of necessity while the Sponsor stays in Australia?