advise please

rache

Dear Forum,

I am currently working as a OT in charge nurse in Dubai. I am basically from India. I am 38 years old and have 2 kids aged 11 and 8. I am considering migrating to Australia . I am currently in a reasonably safe job. My current salary is AED 12,000 (around Aus $ 5000)

Could you please be kind to give me some advice

1. Is it advisable to move at this stage of my career to move to Australia with family

2. Would kids get accustomed to the new culture.

3. will it be financially better 

4. How long will the whole process take.

Thanks a lot for your advice

1. Only you can make that decision, getting registered as a nurse, and passing the skills assessment is not an easy process , and you would very likely take a drop in position 

2. Kids usually adapt but it does depend to some extent how old they are

3. So much depends on where you choose to settle, Australia is expensive especially in the cities, so financially you could be worse off, many people live on $50,000, but in many places that would be tough with a family 

4. The process depends on many things but around a year ++ is a good estimate but possibly longer depending on how many points you have, and what visa you apply for

Dear Shaunfreo,

Thanks a lot for your response. If the process is around 2 years my children would be 13 (boy) and 10 (girl). Could you please advise whether it would be easy transformation for them (I do understand it depends on the kids but I appreciate your view on it please)

Understandably I am apprehensive about the move. My main reason (well one of the) is that it will be good for their education. 

Financially I thought I would be in a bit more better position.

Your views and advise is much appreciated.

Hi,

It is important to note that registration and the skills assessment for the visa are two separate processes.  Look on the ANMAC website for what is required for the skills assessment and also AHPRA for what is required for registration having gained qualifications overseas.  Having trained in India, you may find there are some additional requirements.

Regarding the children -  sometimes, they settle right away and other times it takes a while.  I know someone whose eldest 14 settled right away and her youngest 10 took a little loner.

You would need to look at a permanent residence visa with a family so you would be looking at points for skilled migration. To work as a registered nurse in Australia you will need a nursing degree. You don’t say when you expect to graduate but time is not on your side being 38. Furthermore, for additional points you will need experience and whilst you may have many years experience you only get assessed on those years that are post graduation, so you wouldn’t get any points for this. Again time is not on your side.

I have a friend who is from India and is a nurse and has had awful trouble just getting her APHRA registration because she is from India. 

Good luck, I’m not fully up to date with requirements as it’s afew years since I did it  (I am a midwife) but it’s not looking too promising I don’t think. 

There may be someone else with more up to date infor that could help.