Trust in Police

desreb

When I was at the AirBnB in the process of moving UK>AU last week, I ended up chatting to a Met police officer for about 20 minutes. (He was actually coming to investigate a burglary at our AirBnB, which was reassuring 🙂).

Anyway, we had a good chat about the state of policing and underfunding in the UK, and I mentioned I was going to Australia. His reaction was interesting: "Heh, watch out you don't get shot by them!".

I found it interesting because based on popular culture and recent news, you might have that preconception about the US, say, but not Australia.

It also flagged one of the few things I still take some pride in - the British bobbie. Aside from this guy I was talking to, I've taking training from police officers in Birmingham, and have a friend who's a London Met sergeant. They each had a overwhelming sense of service to the public, a pathological fear of corruption, and angst and frustration around their inability to do much because of the budget cuts. (He said they can't now attend non-violent burglaries in London due to staff shortages).

Compare to Australia. I've only had a few interactions with Aussie police - one let me off a speeding fine in WA, another stopped me for a red light pass in Inner West Sydney (I was waiting over the line). There was news on them goading motorbikers into going over white lines through reckless driving of unmarked cars in the national parks. And I once chatted to an AFP police officer who admitted to me that he can drink-drive home, and flash his badge to avoid a test if he's stopped - something that would get you dismissed in the UK.

There's also a stat I saw a while back that only one NSW or AU police officer was ever investigated or charged for shooting a suspect in 25 years(?), which was way below the sheer probability of some of those shootings being unwarranted. Unsure where I saw that.

So.. I was wondering... what are people's regard of Australian police? Are things not as good as they should be? Are they getting better or worse?

D

2 minutes ago, desreb said:

When I was at the AirBnB in the process of moving UK>AU last week, I ended up chatting to a Met police officer for about 20 minutes. (He was actually coming to investigate a burglary at our AirBnB, which was reassuring 🙂).

Anyway, we had a good chat about the state of policing and underfunding in the UK, and I mentioned I was going to Australia. His reaction was interesting: "Heh, watch out you don't get shot by them!".

I found it interesting because based on popular culture and recent news, you might have that preconception about the US, say, but not Australia.

It also flagged one of the few things I still take some pride in - the British bobbie. Aside from this guy I was talking to, I've taking training from police officers in Birmingham, and have a friend who's a London Met sergeant. They each had a overwhelming sense of service to the public, a pathological fear of corruption, and angst and frustration around their inability to do much because of the budget cuts. (He said they can't now attend non-violent burglaries in London due to staff shortages).

Compare to Australia. I've only had a few interactions with Aussie police - one let me off a speeding fine in WA, another stopped me for a red light pass in Inner West Sydney (I was waiting over the line). There was news on them goading motorbikers into going over white lines through reckless driving of unmarked cars in the national parks. And I once chatted to an AFP police officer who admitted to me that he can drink-drive home, and flash his badge to avoid a test if he's stopped - something that would get you dismissed in the UK.

There's also a stat I saw a while back that only one NSW or AU police officer was ever investigated or charged for shooting a suspect in 25 years(?), which was way below the sheer probability of some of those shootings being unwarranted. Unsure where I saw that.

So.. I was wondering... what are people's regard of Australian police? Are things not as good as they should be? Are they getting better or worse?

D

A few years ago there was endemic corruption in Victoria Police, not sure if they have completely fixed that and public perception may still be damaged from that period. Organised crime etc.

My personal interactions have always been good, but I try and limit my contact with the Police so only a couple of incidents and I was the good guy in those conversations, they were in the course of my job. 

I don’t think they open fire willy nilly, so you hopefully won’t be shot! 

• Like 1

I've never had dealings with the police apart from an incident in WA and that's another story.  We have never been mugged, robbed or broken into.  No speeding fines etc etc.  There have been incidents which made me angry and that involved the police in NSW and Vic - could be other states too - shooting mentally ill people who were waving a knife around.  e.g.  A Sydney woman was shot within 41 seconds of police arriving after she was spotted holding a knife.     

On the whole though most police are decent enough.

I've never had any non-positive dealings with the Aussie police. Very friendly, approachable and visible in my experience.

I would take the British Officer's comment as a bit tongue in cheek - perhaps highlighting Aussie cops carry guns where British do not.