UPLOADING DOCUMENTS! exceeded 5MB Limit. Need advice

jaecine

Hello!

For majority of my relationship requirement documents (for Prospective Marriage Visa), I used Microsoft Powerpoint (since I personally found that it is way easier to use in terms of positioning photos and texts compared to Word).

I saved them in PDF format, and they are all waayyy over the 5MB limit.

I have heard that there are programs and websites that can be used to compress the file size in order to reduce it and make it adhere to the limit..

However Im just worried if it will affect the quality and not make it readable.

Please let me know how you handled this? 
If you've used size compressor websites/programs, how did it go? any suggestions? advice?

THANK YOU SOO SO MUCH!!! smile.gif

When you compress them you choose to save them as new files and get an option of how much you want to compress them by (% or low/medium/high). The higher compression you use the smaller the file size will be but the lower the quality will be.

Choose Medium. Save it. Close your original file and open up the compressed one and you will see it exactly as IMMI will. It will probably be fine, just slightly fuzzy in some places and not as sharp. If any is not readable open your original again and compress it on a lower one.

You might also want to try saving some files in black and white mode when you create the PDF (even if you haven't used colour it will save it as colour and detect slight variations), saving it as black and white (see the properties box when you convert to PDF) will probably half the file size.

Open in PowerPoint, click Save As and select the JPEG File Interchange Format (*.jpg) - ie: the file type

PowerPoint docs can be massve, jpegs no so much. You may have to delete some uploads in immi and replace with jpeg images

Edited by Guest

On 08/12/2018 at 10:54, Katiebobbles said:

Other option for pictures is to put them in paint and re-size them before putting them back in ..... Then each picture is a much smaller size ... we did that a lot for pics and tickets etc

Compressing the images is the way to go. But you don't need to do the above. This will be much easier

https://nutsandboltsspeedtraining.com/powerpoint-tutorials/powerpoint-compress-images/

• Like 1

You can also compress your PDFs online - you upload the files on a dedicated website (*) that will do all the work for free and you just download the compressed file. Pretty handy as you can upload several files at the same time, so it saves heaps of time. That's what I did as my documents were also way over the limit! Just be aware of a loss of quality for images - don't compress it tooooo much.

(*)  Not sure we're allowed to post external links here, but you can just google "compress PDF" 🙂

15 hours ago, TheWayOfThePony said:

You can also compress your PDFs online - you upload the files on a dedicated website (*) that will do all the work for free and you just download the compressed file. Pretty handy as you can upload several files at the same time, so it saves heaps of time. That's what I did as my documents were also way over the limit! Just be aware of a loss of quality for images - don't compress it tooooo much.

(*)  Not sure we're allowed to post external links here, but you can just google "compress PDF" 🙂

i would be careful about doing this. You will be sending your data to someone you don't know.