457 Visa Minimum Salary Level Increases Coming Up

SOMV

Hello,

If you are going to be applying for a 457 visa, or if you are already a 457 visa holder, then you should be aware of increases to salary levels that will be kicking in on 1 August 2008.

A very brief summary:

New Minimum Salary Levels (MSL) for new 457 visa applicants:

• $77 850 where the English language exemption is claimed

• $59 480 for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) workers

• $43 440 for non-ICT workers

• $53 530 for ICT workers under a regional concession

• $39 100 for non-ICT workers under a regional concession

AND the MSL level for existing sponsored workers already in your employment in Australia, who are paid in accordance

with an MSL, will increase by 3.8 per cent!

Here is a link to the relevant information and to more details:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/457-min-salary-levels.pdf

If anyone needs help with the calculations feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Veronika

This is important news for current and prospective 457 visa holders so as with your Pathway D thread, I've made this one sticky for a while.

I see that the Pathway D thread is still buy with new posts, so I will leave that sticky and clearly visible for the time being.

Thanks again for both threads

Gill

Guest fatpom

There have been a few current affairs docos on this subject recently. One recently which involved employers federations, union leaders, selected employers and employees gave insight to the potential issues relating to 457 visas.

Employers certainly see them as an avenue to cheap labour. No-one seemed to deny that as being the case. One employer incautiously stated "its too easy [for people] to change jobs now".

Unions (surprisingly?) are not totally against them but are concerned about the shonky end of town abusing 'captive employees'

There were some nasty stories from some ex-employees on 457 visas mostly from the low skilled end of trades.

I worked at a place which took on six people on 457 visas several years ago. This multi-national told these people (all graduate engineers) some whoppers. My favourite was "you're only half an hour from the beach". True, if you're going in an F16 with a parachute and only so long as you don't include the half hours drive to the nearest airport. :biglaugh:

Four of these 457 left for other jobs within several months. One went home and one remains (last I heard?).

The 457 to me seems a pretty good option "try before you buy" type of visa. Just do your homework very carefully before signing up.

Finally remember you can change jobs if you find an alternative employer but be careful the old employer has to sign you off and may 'drag their feet' doing so out of spite (happened to one of the guys I worked with) so have a good cash reserve to cover the visa changeover.

I can understand the salary increase and the fact that some poeple are exploited on the 457 visas. I am suprised that the changes affect the peope already on shore with these visas.

My hubby is working for a small family run business, they cannot afford to pay this extra wage rise ok, its only a couple grand but thats alot of money to a small business. So what happens now?? For the companies that cannot afford the wage increase, do you loose you job and its off back to the UK, thats a big kick in the teeth when you met the critera in the first place for the 457.

OK so make a new rule now but immigration just play with people lives, my hubby hasnt yet brought up the subject yet with his employer.

Em x

Guest dragon888

Can anyone tell me if a 457 visa holder receives a subsidy from the federal government or their employer? To push up the salary to the required level?

Can anyone tell me if a 457 visa holder receives a subsidy from the federal government or their employer? To push up the salary to the required level?

Hello,

As far as I am aware it is the employer that has to frontup the increase.

Em x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snake
Hello,

If you are going to be applying for a 457 visa, or if you are already a 457 visa holder, then you should be aware of increases to salary levels that will be kicking in on 1 August 2008.

A very brief summary:

AND the MSL level for existing sponsored workers already in your employment in Australia, who are paid in accordance

Cheers

I have currently applied for a 457 through a Migration agent here in OZ. I work here and my girl friend is Defacto. She is having massive problems with getting a job as she needs proof that a visa has been granted. Do you know how long the waiting time is for them to grant a 457?

I have currently applied for a 457 through a Migration agent here in OZ. I work here and my girl friend is Defacto. She is having massive problems with getting a job as she needs proof that a visa has been granted. Do you know how long the waiting time is for them to grant a 457?

Ours took 9 weeks start to finish last year.

Em x

Guest sweetpea0701
Hello,

A very brief summary:

Cheers

Hi There thanks for this info, I too came across this on-line.

How do you know which category you fit into ?

We were granted 457 in Jan, and leave in Nov but I am not sure how this will effect us.

More money is great....but how do we ensure we get it ?

Should I e-mail the employer before I leave and check or wait till we get there ? what do you think ?

Also, as I am on a 457 also but not the lead applicant am I restricted to these salarys?

E.g. Can I apply for a job @ $70K or will they say well you are on a 457 so we will only pay you $xx??

Any guidance appreciated

Cheers guys

Guest West Sussex Si
Pardon my stupidity, but what is ICT?

Reading the pdf i've answered my own question, ICT Information and Communication Technology.

Si

Hi There thanks for this info, I too came across this on-line.

How do you know which category you fit into ?

We were granted 457 in Jan, and leave in Nov but I am not sure how this will effect us.

More money is great....but how do we ensure we get it ?

Should I e-mail the employer before I leave and check or wait till we get there ? what do you think ?

Also, as I am on a 457 also but not the lead applicant am I restricted to these salarys?

E.g. Can I apply for a job @ $70K or will they say well you are on a 457 so we will only pay you $xx??

Any guidance appreciated

Cheers guys

If the visa is your OH's and you are their as spouse/partner then you can work anywhere, earn what you like , the 457 terms don't apply to you directly only to the person being sponsored on the 457.

OH's salary will need to fall into the new category as they do check with your employers and if it falls below then you won't be fulfulling the 457 terms. Speak to the sponsor if the salary currently agreed is less than the new minimum otherwise you could find yourselves in a sticky situation when you get here.

Guest West Sussex Si

I'm confused, with regards to the MSL and the 3.8% rise.

Does this mean that if you have agreed a contract with a salary of 45k before allowences then the base salary rate will rise by 3.8% to 46710?

Or is it just the MINIMUM rates that will rise.

Cheers guys

Si

:goofy:

Guest GSXRDAVE

Ive been granted a 457 visa back in march and should be leaving the uk anytime soon, does this mean my basic hourly rate will have increased or what.

And should i contact my new employer to find out what the new wage will be, first ive heard of it and a bit cofused here.

Does this apply to all 457 visa holders as im been employed as a motorcycle technician.

It applies to all 457 visas but I understand that it is the MINIMUM SALARY that is increasing, so if you are earning over and above the min it wont change.

Em x

Guest sweetpea0701
If the visa is your OH's and you are their as spouse/partner then you can work anywhere, earn what you like , the 457 terms don't apply to you directly only to the person being sponsored on the 457.

OH's salary will need to fall into the new category as they do check with your employers and if it falls below then you won't be fulfulling the 457 terms. Speak to the sponsor if the salary currently agreed is less than the new minimum otherwise you could find yourselves in a sticky situation when you get here.

Thanks very much for the advice, I will e-mail the company and ask the question. They are a pretty decent company so far, so I think they will abide by the rules.

Cheers again

Emma

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

SOMV has started a new thread today mentioning the mininum salary levels for ENS 121/856 visas. It says:

Hello,

Please don't forget that the minimum threshold salary levels for the ENS visa (121/856) also increased by 3.8% on 1 August and now sit at $43,440 (and $59,477 for computing professionals).

Cheers :)

Veronika :)

info@sortoutmyvisa.com

www.sortoutmyvisa.com

I feel it is worth adding a copy of the post on here, in case people do not see it elsewhere.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks very much for the advice, I will e-mail the company and ask the question. They are a pretty decent company so far, so I think they will abide by the rules.

Cheers again

Emma

if the 457 threshhold is on par or higher than the equivalent salary an aussie can earn then thre employer will go for an aussie less hassle for them thats why its colloquially known as the slave visa

Malx

• 4 weeks later...

hi

can anyone tell me then how long their 457 visa's took to process, sometimes I just think its my agent who is really slow, I feel things only get done when I ring for an update!! Started end of april gathering info, bloody agent didnt submit until end of june med done and received in oz 3 weeks ago, how much longer!!!!

Em, do you intend applying for residencey while your there?? Our sponsor is starting to lose her patience as our agent told them it would only take six wks from start to finish, that's what they led us all to believe.......

Brisbane is waiting for us!! hehe

cheers

Jules

Guest pottsy
hi

can anyone tell me then how long their 457 visa's took to process, sometimes I just think its my agent who is really slow, I feel things only get done when I ring for an update!! Started end of april gathering info, bloody agent didnt submit until end of june med done and received in oz 3 weeks ago, how much longer!!!!

Em, do you intend applying for residencey while your there?? Our sponsor is starting to lose her patience as our agent told them it would only take six wks from start to finish, that's what they led us all to believe.......

Brisbane is waiting for us!! hehe

cheers

Jules

:skeptical:Hi jules,

we were originally told 10 to 14 days from when the visa was submitted in Jan,by June we found out there were some queries with the application and it did not get submitted fully till July.The 3 week wait turned into 8 and we finally got the answer we wanted last week.I think it really varies depending on individual circumstances.No news is good news I kept being told.Can you check yourselves from your application number?(Not that we could!)

Its a hideous wait,I totally understand ,but you sound really close now!!!Keep us posted.

Lol pottsyx

Pardon my stupidity, but what is ICT?

Information & Communications Technology, (or something like that - I should know it's what I do!)

In other words anything to do with computers, networks etc.

Part-time working?

Does anyone know if you have to meet that annual salary even if you work part-time? Or is it pro-rated?

I have been offered $70K in a full-time role but I would like to work term-time only with the company are supportive of but they have said that there may be a problem with MSL. Until I read this thread I had though the MSL was the same for everyone but now I've found out they have to pay me over $59K which could be a problem.

Please tell me it is $59k full-time equivilant............

Jules

Guest BullcreekBob

Please tell me it is $59k full-time equivilant............

Jules

No, it's $59K. And the employer MUST pay you for 38 hours of each and every week. The 457 is a full time working visa, you will not be allowed to work only hours that suit you or your employer will be charged.

This is a link outlining your employers obligations

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/obligations-employer.htm

I suggest you have a good look around.

Take care

Bob in Bull Creek

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

What does it mean 'where english language exemption is claimed'?

Is that the job does not require english competancy or the employee has high level of english?

Anyone?:huh:

Thanx Catherine

Guest Terence
Hi,

What does it mean 'where english language exemption is claimed'?

Is that the job does not require english competancy or the employee has high level of english?

Anyone?:huh:

Thanx Catherine

Hi Catherine, this info should help clear things up a bit, but I am confused a little about the 75k minimum. If your first language is English as ours is, do we then claim an exemption from having to perform the IELTS exam (or is it automatic exemption) AND then qualify for the 75k minimum salary?

Anyone out there that can shed some light on this?

AUSTRALIA - New English Language Requirement for Subclass 457 Employer Sponsored Visas

06/26/2007

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship has announced that, effective July 1, 2007, all applicants for a Temporary Business (Subclass 457) employer sponsored work visa must detail their English language skills on their visa applications and may be required to demonstrate that they possess satisfactory English language skills. Some applicants may be required to take an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. The English language ability of all applicants for 457 visas must be equivalent to an average band score of 4.5 on the IELTS test, unless they are exempt from the IELTS test requirement (see below).

The aim of the new English language requirement is to ensure that foreign nationals working pursuant to 457 visas are able to understand and contend with occupational health and safety risks in the workplace, and to raise any concerns about their employment and sponsorship circumstances with appropriate authorities.

Applicants will be exempt from the IELTS test requirement if:

· Their first language is English and they hold a passport from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America; or

· Their occupation is within a highly skilled group of occupations, including managers, administrators, professionals and associate professionals; or

· They have completed at least five years of continuous, full-time secondary and/or tertiary education at an institution where at least 80 percent of instruction was conducted in English; or

· They will be paid at least a certain salary, as specified in a legislative instrument. Initially this will be set at a base salary of AUD 75,000, excluding any allowances and deductions.

The above exemptions will not apply to applicants for positions that require English language for licensing, registration or professional association membership. Employers will continue to be responsible for ensuring that their employees with 457 visas meet the appropriate skill and English language requirements for licensing, registration or professional association membership.

Applications made prior to July 1, 2007 will not be subject to this new requirement.

Archived