Right at the start ?190 visa for nurse or 489 for family.

natea21

Hi there everyone.

I am right at the very beginning of the process and am hoping for some advice. I just got back from Brisbane yesterday after going to visit my family (3 brothers, 1 sister -- many many nieces and nephews and even a great niece) who have lived out there for twenty years. I had thought I was happy over in England but my trip has shown me just what I'm missing, both in lifestyle and in the fact that I have so many relatives there who I am missing out on time with.

I want to start the application process. I am a registered nurse with two years experience currently... it will be three years in april. Things are a little dicey with my skills points as currently I have 65 for a 190 visa and 70 for a 489 family sponsored. However as I turn 40 in March this is going to drop and even with the increase from the work experience from April I will still drop five points to become 60 for a 190 and 65 for a 489 family sponsored. There's a possible issue with the 489 too as it states that people in Brisbane or the Gold Coast cannot currently sponsor. My sister lives in Queensland but it's classed as Logan which is between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I am not sure if this restriction would apply to her or if she would be free to sponsor me.

I'm wondering if it's worth applying for a 190 or if I should go for a 489? Is it possible to get an invite for an EOI if I start now? I have booked an english test for december and can then have my ANMAC started.

I hope these questions are alright.

Thank you and I appreciate any help or insight you can give me.

Claire

You say that you have 65 points, is this without the English test? You could potentially gain 20 points from the English test ( if so you could be in the running for a 189 visa). I would definitely go for the 190 visa (if you only have 65points); however, I think you need 5 years experience for a Queensland 190.  Other states such as Victoria consider nurses with less than 5 years though (they may be less inclined to sponsor you because you have family in another state) . It's definitely doable! I am also in my early forties. 

Thanks everyone! Lots of things to consider really. Having enough points right now is difficult because in march I'm going to lose some with the age bracket and end up with only 60 for the 190 and 65 for the 489. 

Jenki75 sadly yes this does include the 20 for superior English. As I stand I'm single, 39, with 2 years experience as a nurse with a bachelor degree. 

However, in two years I will get more for the work experience and will end up with 65 again, possibly 70 if I can complete a master's in time. I guess life isn't over after 40 lol.