Pmv VS PV etc

MsMarlowe

Hi! I’m super confused after reading for weeks about visas! I’m quite good normally at understanding things... any help will be so helpful! 

My partner /boyfriend is moving back from London to Australia in January.  (he’s from Sydney) 

He is going to ask me to marry him shortly and he wants me and my child to come and set up our new life in Australia. 

We don’t have much money at moment but his family are incredibly supportive of our relationship and we can get married in their local church and have a reception at their house which is large enough to do so, so our main worries are now turned to the visas and cost. 

He is going to first to start his job and set things up for us but we don’t want to be apart more than 5 weeks as last year we did that when he went back without me and it was so hard being apart! We were on phone twice a day for 40 mins at a time of more! 

Which visa is the cheapest way to do it? 

Which visa is the simplest for us to apply for? 

Which visa means least amount of possible rejection? 

We will be together just over a year and will have lived together only a month or so. We both have a child each so he stays all week and then at weekends we stay at his place. So we don’t have that ‘living together ‘ proof stuff. 

We haven’t got loads of social media posts of us, maybe 4-5 posts. We do have a year of phone calls for hours at a time and a year of soppy texts though! 

I am his next of kin at doctors. And we have friends and family who can vouch for our amazing love for each other! 

So worried we haven’t got enough evidence. Though the phone calls and texts would be evidence enough surely? As it’s obvious from them how much we love each other! 

We really want to get married in Sydney with his family around us. It would make it so special but looking at everything online seems that it’s simplier to get married before we go to Australia?

But both of really want our important people to be there at the wedding! So we want to get married in Sydney.

We are considering the getting married on temporary visa but he is worried that I might get sent back. 

Is the prospective partner visa more expensive than the partner visa? As I think I have to apply for partner visa after we marry? 

Also, how does it work for my daughter? She’s 12. Her father has offered to pay for a private school over there and it’s cheaper if she’s not a ‘international student’ would she be one? Or would she be on my visa? 

I do have a company in Oz that possibly wants to hire me for a creative industry job which is 3-4 days a week but it’s not set in stone yet and I don’t want to rely on it for visa as I have no idea if they will def hire me or if they ‘sponsor’ as it’s a small company. 

As you see I’m really confused with my options! And my main thing is I don’t want us to be apart for long

or it cost us much more then the 8k I think it will cost? So we can start our married life without too many things to worry about! 

If we go for the prospective partner visa option, how much will it cost in total to get the eventual partner visa?

Can I work on that visa? What visa status will my daughter be? Can she go to the school not on a international student basis?

Our hopeful timeline is 

January -Partner goes back to Sydney 

February - Me and my daughter go to oz. 

March -October  - We marry! Dates Depending on family being able to come etc 

Do you think we should do Prospective marriage visa? Or come on a temp visa? Or marry before? 

Thank you so much! We are both so confused by googling! 

Others can assist regarding visa's that are more knowledgeable.  Your daughter would only be a temporary resident and you would have to pay fees.

What visa would you travel on in Feb?  The PMV is taking 13 - 16 months to process at the moment. (the cost of this is $7,160 - I'm not sure if you would then need an additional visa for your daughter  Being married isn't enough on it's own to prove your relationship - others who have been married a few years have also had to provide evidence of relationship.  After the PMV I think you still have to then apply for a partner visas (as the PMV only allows you to stay for 9 months … so this may be the best one to go for and marry at leisure.

22 minutes ago, MsMarlowe said:

Oh no (but thank you!) oh so you’re saying we can’t apply for the prospective visa and then use it in February? 🤯😞

i just don’t know what to do. We don’t want to be apart, this is all so worrying. Thanks so much for your reply! Really appreciated

I think you get granted the visa (which according to the website is taking at least 13 months to process) then you have 9 months to travel to Aus and get married - so if you applied now, potentially it will be granted November 2019.  The partner visa is the same price (according to the web site) - but if you've held the PMV then it's a reduced cost.  There will be an additional cost for your daughter.  If you look on the home affairs website you can estimate the cost … I put in 1 partner and 1 child and the cost currently is 5,140 pounds ($8,955)

You might be better applying off shore for a partner visa if you meet the criteria for that.  Your daughters father will need to give written permission for her to migrate.

From reading others posts people have supplied proof of relationship such as joint tenancy/mortgage/bank accounts/savings etc.  Joint invitations to events/tickets/holidays etc.,

It may be worth chatting to a registered migration agent to help you find a clear pathway - any visa carries the risk of rejection particularly if you don't provide the necessary documents (I've read on here that they don't always ask for additional information and refuse because there is insufficient information).

Okay thanks! Yes her dad is fine about us going, he may have work there too anyway. 

This is such a shame this news of the length of waiting time, as we really wanted to get married with his family there in Oz. 

Sounds like we are going to have to marry before we go? This makes me very sad as really wanted to marry with his mum n dad there. 

Unless we get a married on a tourist visa? What’s the best way to do that I wonder? 

Theres no way we can be apart from February - November. 

Its just all so complicated. 🙁

7 hours ago, MsMarlowe said:

Okay thanks! Yes her dad is fine about us going, he may have work there too anyway. 

This is such a shame this news of the length of waiting time, as we really wanted to get married with his family there in Oz. 

Sounds like we are going to have to marry before we go? This makes me very sad as really wanted to marry with his mum n dad there. 

Unless we get a married on a tourist visa? What’s the best way to do that I wonder? 

Theres no way we can be apart from February - November. 

Its just all so complicated. 🙁

You and your daughter could certainly get tourist visas, travel over and then you can get married on that. No extra visa required.

You could then return to the UK and apply for the Partner Visa on the grounds of marriage, your daughter  goes on that as your dependent. 

Unfortunately couples spending time apart is often unavoidable where migration is involved. Many even have to spend years apart. You and your daughter can visit on tourist visas while the Partner Visa is processing.

You could technically get married in Australia while holding any visa (e.g. visitor visa) and then before that visa expires you apply for the 820/801 visa (comes with a bridging visa that allows you to remain in Australia while the visa is processed - you can work on this although your daughter may still be subjected to international school fees).  However that requires you have enough evidence at the time you apply to show you meet the criteria of a genuine relationship, which is generally more extensive than simply proving you're in love.  Having joined finances, joined social lives, joined household responsibilities, etc.  If you look through various forum posts, you should get a good idea of what types of evidence other people have used.

But as others have said, be prepared that spending time apart may be an unfortunate situation that can't be avoided.  The time usually passes quickly enough (thought is may not seem so at the time) and as long as you have your eyes on the end target of a visa, that's what's most important.